PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish with soft shell

waldo
01-04-2015, 07:13 PM
I moved my red claw crayfish into her own tank today and during the transfer I picked her up by pinching her body and she was really soft. The sides of her body actually gave in very easily when I pinched her. Her last molt was over three weeks ago and she did not eat it.
She appears healthy, eat almost anything I give her but I know she should be hard. Is this a lack of calcium? She eats my MTS, she cleared out everyone in her last tank. Weird thing is she rarely eats the snail, just the shell.

Slaphppy7
01-04-2015, 08:13 PM
If she's eating well, acting well, and color is good, I wouldn't worry about it

She's getting plenty of calcium from the snail shells

How long has it been since you handled her?...shell softening may just be a result of age

Cliff
01-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Could she be getting ready to molt or just recently molted ?

waldo
01-04-2015, 08:29 PM
This was the first time I've handled her, I usually use a net. She is still young, not fully grown but almost there. Its possible she is getting ready to molt, its about that time and she is a bit paler then normal.
I'll have to find her a new source of calcium, there are only a couple snails in the new tank and they won't last her long. Thinking about getting some crushed oyster shells to increase hardness.

Andrews
01-06-2015, 12:43 AM
Tried dosing small amounts of iodine? In herbivorous crays it's pretty easy to avoid by feeding algae wafers and fresh spinach, if she won't eat either of those do I'd try iodine.