PDA

View Full Version : Frog Tumor?

Goudie300
01-04-2015, 03:27 AM
Not sure if this exactly fits into the "diseases" category, but I've been wondering what this big bubble like lump is on one of my African Dwarf frogs.
Any frog experts?

mermaidnessa
01-04-2015, 09:56 AM
I've had something similar happen to an African Frog actually. On mine it was bigger, and almost certainly some sort of gas bubble because he had trouble staying at the bottom. No idea what caused it (maybe bacterial infection?), but it resolved itself after he shed a couple of times. I would be hesitant to medicate with any of the usual aquarium medications since amphibians absorb so much through their skin.

Goudie300
01-04-2015, 03:10 PM
it resolved itself after he shed a couple of times

I've never actually seen these frogs shed before, maybe they do it at night, then eat their skin, but I'm not sure.
If the issue does resolve itself I'll be sure to come back here and let everyone know.

mermaidnessa
01-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Any luck? Hope your little guy is getting better!

African frogs will shed up to once a week, especially if they are growing, and they do eat their skin after they shed it. I used to keep a tank of 6 of them back in college and witnessed the shedding a few times (the whole process is several seconds). They would rub on the gravel or decor right before, use their back claws to kick it off, and then scarf down the shed (gross, but pretty cool!).