PDA

View Full Version : angel with a lump

johncfi
12-31-2014, 04:29 PM
I rescued a bunch of Angels (and a pleco) from a local kids nursery when the staff accidentally cleaned the glass with anti-bacterial cleaner just before Christmas, of the original18 I have 14 left, they (and the pleco) seem to be OK, except for this guy who seems to have an anal lump. I have no idea if it was there before, I literally got called in when they started dying. I currently have them in a 100ltr tank (not big enough I know but all I had) Plan is to return them to their own tank (about 200 Lts) as soon as it is properly cleaned out and started up. I am at a loss as to what this lump is?, is it harmful? can I do anything about it? The fish looks OK.

madagascariensis
12-31-2014, 06:25 PM
rectal prolapse? Never fought one on any of my own fish, but I've heard people having success with withholding feeding for several days (prolapse may be aggravated by overfeeding/passage of food), raising the temperature to speed up the fish's metabolism and immune response, and adding some salt to the water to discourage bacterial growth.

Oh, and another important thing. That nursery has horrendous stocking. The pleco is likely a common pleco, requiring a tank of at least 280 liters upon maturity. There's no way a 200 liter tank will house 14 (much less 18) adult angelfish. I'm not an expert on them, I know they are territorial and, unless a mated pair forms there probably can only be one or so. They probably only coexisted before because they were immature or too crowded/stressed/unwell to exhibit normal territorial behavior.

johncfi
12-31-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks for that, my internet search also came up with Anal/Rectal prolapse. But you have given me a possible course of treatment to follow.

I do agree about the overstocking, most of the Angels are juveniles so perhaps I can suggest that the keep a male and female, and sell on the rest, using the proceeds to get something smaller (perhaps some Neon Tetra's) I have two Angels (M&F) in both of my tanks and they don't seem to bother them at all, plus being small it will reduce the loading.

The Pleco (probably is a common) at the moment he is only 20cm long, so has some growing to do, hopefully he will be OK as it's going to take some explaining to get them to agree to parting with it the kids have even named it!!. I have a 15cm one in my own 200 Litre tank along with one that's about 8cm they seem quite happy, I have two more 10cm ones in my 150 Ltr tank. As a matter of interest how do you sex Plecos. (so I can prevent breeding rather than encourage)

madagascariensis
12-31-2014, 07:38 PM
Keeping a pair may work - but make sure you let the young ones pair up on their own instead of throwing two together. Like humans, not all angelfish will be compatible together. Common plecos are unable to breed in a conventional tank, so sexing them is not an issue. In the wild, the males dig long tunnels into muddy riverbanks as part of nesting behavior, and this is obviously not possible in a tank.

Best of luck with all the rescued fish - and Thank you for helping animals in need.

Boundava
12-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Well that depends on the pleco. Often males will have extra odontodes ( spines) on his body, fins, face etc. Females are usually larger and wider in the chest area. Bristlenose males have bristles where females don't, medusas males will have more bristles than females.
odontodes
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608049537095567134&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
Medusa
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608028457402237141&w=218&h=175&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7
Bristle male
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608033611363059218&w=266&h=177&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7
Female's wide body
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608056159936448846&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Common plecos are a bit harder. Unless you are comparing them side to side and they have been living in the same environment (i.e. eating the same food growing as same rate, are same age-etc.) so you can find differences in size and shape, it is hard to differentiate.

johncfi
12-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks for that. Been into this for almost a year now, so still got plenty to learn!! Have 4 tanks at home, 200 150 and 100 plus a small 75 Ltr. by good fortune we were not planning on setting up the 100 till in the new year, had to rush getting it filled and running, fortunately they had put most of the fish in buckets while they cleaned their tank, (I think that's why only the 4 died), and from that I was able to start the filter with some of their original water). We have done a 20% water change every day (as they are overstocked in my tank), since they have been here and all are looking well.

I have offered to be a (free) consultant for the future. hopefully we will be able to advise, and keep the fish a bit better.

Many thanks again..

Boundava
12-31-2014, 08:09 PM
That is very nice of you to do that and save the fish. I hope they take up your offer to be a free consultant. What are the dimensions on that tank? Its about 50 US gallons, you may be able to get away with the pleco in it-at least for a little bit.

Cliff
12-31-2014, 08:19 PM
I have also found the below website very helpful in situations like this

http://www.fishyportal.com/diag/

johncfi
01-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Cliff, Thank you, Saved it in my bookmarks. Loads of useful info.