PDA

View Full Version : Parkinson's Rainbowfish Staying in One Spot All Day

rainbowfish90
12-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Hello all. I've been having an issue with one of my fish and need some input. One of my Parkinson's rainbows has been staying next to the heater all day, every day for probably a week or two now. He still comes out to eat and often will swim out when I visit the tank in the mornings but then he returns to the same spot. He doesn't seem to be breathing any differently than normal and doesn't show any visible signs of illness (no spots, no fuzz, no rips or tears in fins, nothing). No other fish are acting differently, and I've had all fish for about 5-6 months (all rainbows, 3 species). Nothing new has been added to the tank, and I do water changes of about 50% every 5-7 days, 55g tank. Low nitrates, no nitrites, pH neutral. The only thing I add is calcium for my apple snail, and I've been doing that for probably a couple months now since I got the snail. I'm worried he's stressed out or sick but I'm not sure from what. The other fish aren't aggressive with him. Any input would definitely be welcome.

fishmommie
12-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Is there any chance the fish is female and it's laid eggs and may be guarding them?

If not, as long as the fish is eating and looks okay, it may simply be a new behavior for the fish. Some days my angel fish will stay in one spot most of the day. The next day she'll be out and about.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas. Keep watching the fish and if you see any degrading of his condition, you may want to quarantine it.

Oh - what about fin clamping? any of that going on?

rainbowfish90
12-31-2014, 01:23 AM
Is there any chance the fish is female and it's laid eggs and may be guarding them?

If not, as long as the fish is eating and looks okay, it may simply be a new behavior for the fish. Some days my angel fish will stay in one spot most of the day. The next day she'll be out and about.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas. Keep watching the fish and if you see any degrading of his condition, you may want to quarantine it.

Oh - what about fin clamping? any of that going on?

I'm almost positive it's male. Has the "broadened" shape and the orange coloration on the sides and fins. And no, no fin clamping. Other than the weird behavior mentioned, he seems fine.

Thank you for your reply!

hydra01
01-04-2015, 07:18 PM
I had rainbowfish that have done this, and sure enough when it was time to eat, it joined the others just fine, some of the wild caught ones seem to suffer from internal parasites, keep a close eye on it. good luck

Slaphppy7
01-04-2015, 08:10 PM
A single snail doesn't need calcium supplements, either...calcium can affect the ph, and ph swings aren't good for fish...which you probably already know