PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the cold fish species besides Gold fish?

humsuplou
11-16-2007, 05:53 AM
Other than gold fish, what other species are cold water fish?
thanks.

smaug
11-16-2007, 02:02 PM
I dont know what size tank you have but here are a few choices
Rudd,it looks like a tinfoil barb/carp
bull head{cottus gobio] like a sculpin or sea blenny
stone loach[barbatula barbatula]
roach[rutilus rutilus] similar to rudd
myxocyprinus asiaticus,look it up I cant explain it
stickelback,again look it up
common gudgeon[gobio gobio]
all of the above,for that matter ,perch,bluegill,sunfish,bass asstd things found in freshwater creeks would work out nicely in a coldwater aquarium,I have tinkered with the idea of putting together a north american lake biotope.

CAF
11-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I assume you mean fish that can go in aquariums?

White Cloud Minnows
Mountain Stream Loach

CAF
11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
I dont know what size tank you have but here are a few choices
Rudd,it looks like a tinfoil barb/carp
bull head{cottus gobio] like a sculpin or sea blenny
stone loach[barbatula barbatula]
roach[rutilus rutilus] similar to rudd
myxocyprinus asiaticus,look it up I cant explain it
stickelback,again look it up
common gudgeon[gobio gobio]
all of the above,for that matter ,perch,bluegill,sunfish,bass asstd things found in freshwater creeks would work out nicely in a coldwater aquarium,I have tinkered with the idea of putting together a north american lake biotope.

Be careful of the sticklebacks, depending on where you live, it may be illegal to even possess them.

smaug
11-16-2007, 09:38 PM
CAF said:Be careful of the sticklebacks, depending on where you live, it may be illegal to even possess them.
Thats for sure!Always make sure that anything you want to keep is legal.
BTW humsuplou,if you really want an interesting looking fish do check out
myxocyprinus asiaticus,here is a link.Not having a big enough tank is what keeps me from getting one,I have seen them for sale.
http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/myxocyprinus/myxocyprinus.html

squirt_12
11-16-2007, 09:43 PM
you could get a couple Axolotls but they need certain water conditions...so i would research.

gm72
11-16-2007, 11:34 PM
...Paradise Fish!

fishless
01-14-2008, 01:23 PM
:22: japanese rice fish, white cloud mountain minnow, shiner, weather loach, three spine stickleback :c4:

Tooch
01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Fat-head Minnows and some types of Bass

Blue Ram
01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
koi.........

angelcakes
01-30-2008, 12:45 PM
black moors,lion heads,orfe,koi(which may out grow tank)subumbkin(i think its spelt right) tench,rudd,or if you want predeter fish perch,i come from the uk so theres alot of variety for cold water fish,theres is a lot of choice but be warned some do grow big and may need rehouseing,:1: :16:

Ichthyologist
07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Buenos Aires tetras
Killifish
Bloodfin tetras
cory cats
paradise fish
Apistogramma borellii
American flagfish
Blind cave tetra

Just ensure to do research before making choices

Tam18993
09-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Mexican walking fish are a type of coldwater
and they are super cool!!
:19:

Fishalicious
09-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Buenos Aires tetras
Killifish
Bloodfin tetras
cory cats
paradise fish
Apistogramma borellii
American flagfish
Blind cave tetra

Just ensure to do research before making choices

Most of the above fish are can be kept sub tropical and not really cold... I guess it just depends where the 'cold' starts and ends....

Lot's of the above fish are South American...I wouldn't keep any of them below 75F

Northernguy
09-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Pike ,Walleye(Pickeral),Muskie ,Smallmouth,....
Man what a huge tank that would be!:19:

Mvjnz
09-22-2008, 01:58 AM
black moors,lion heads,orfe,koi(which may out grow tank)subumbkin(i think its spelt right) tench,rudd,or if you want predeter fish perch,

A lot of those are just varieties of the common goldfish, they are just bred to look different. The fancy kinds that you mentioned are not as tolerant to cold as the common goldfish...

Pacific blue eye is a small schooling fish which can handle temperatures down to 5 degrees celsius and up to over 30 degrees. A lot of Australian gudgeons can also handle those temperatures.

Demjor19
09-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Banded Highfin!

Here are a few others: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.azgardens.com/images/Chinese-HiFin-THUMB.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.azgardens.com/koi_fish.php&h=130&w=175&sz=16&hl=en&start=13&um=1&usg=__Ta5ZIHIILOSGhD3sTLP5LwuSOuU=&tbnid=NC2lSTiLV17_sM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbanded%2Bhighfin%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%2 6rlz%3D1T4DKUS_enUS271US285%26sa%3DN

johnpeezy
09-24-2008, 04:19 AM
We can order these at my store I think for about 30 bucks(around 7") sorry we don't ship

The shovelnose sturgeon, Scaphirhynchus platorynchus

you need a BIG pond. See if you can house one of these where your from.

will definitly win on oddball award from the negihbors.

channel catfish
gara pingi pingi
are a few others I can think of off hand.

domjd05
10-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Be careful of the sticklebacks, depending on where you live, it may be illegal to even possess them.

It is illegal to even stock a pond with fish in maine... at least with koi and other popular themes.

sPuD
10-31-2008, 07:30 AM
LOL. Tadpoles!!!!!!! but then they grow into frogs and that mean to keep them in a tank. . .

Dunno if you can get them where you live
but fresh water crays (in NZ we call them Koura)
or fresh water crabs are also neat

The fresh water mussels help filter the water, but don't move so . . . are kinda boring

Some tropicals or sub tropicals can be climatized down to be cold water such as:
Algae Eaters
Myers hillstream

Or there is always the white cloud minnows

Axoltls are great! nice touch to a cold water aqurium . . . but don't go too well with other fish. LOL they eat anything that moves and fits in their mouth

But don't shun the goldfish ahh, as they come in some pritty cool varities and look neato!Like i have this shubunkin, which is a grayish black on the back half and a ghostly white on the front half.He is awsum, as he has a red spot where his heart is (i think)And has black eyes!I named him Spud then named my username after him.LOL only fish of mine that i've named. LOL hes that special and is a goldfish!

fraggle
10-31-2008, 09:52 AM
The "tandanus tandanus" eel tailed catfish(in my avatar) can go in cold water, but they can get to 2' too, they sell them all the time here as 2-3" cute little guys in with the goldfish, little do people realise that they can get so big!

Fishguy2727
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Danios (white cloud, zebra, gold, leopard, blue), platies, guppies, swordtails, and mollies. Many people lump these in with tropical but they are actually sub-tropical and usually tend to do a little better in room temp, especially the white clouds.

Axolotls aren't fish, but yes, they are a great coldwater aquarium species. They can't be kept above 73F, which is why mine are in the basement.

sPuD
11-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Do you want them for a pond or tank?
or just curious. LOL

eww that green looks sorta like duck poo . . .

Goldfishlover
11-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Most of the fish that are listed can not be kept with goldfish. Goldfish get large and well eat anything that well fit in their mouths.

Cory cats need warmer water so not a good idea. The white clouds are ok but may get eaten. Danio's need warmer water then goldfish and most are to small. Guppies, platy and the like need warmer water.

BN pleco's can be kept with them but if they are small enough to go in the GF's mouth they can and do eat them. Dojo loaches can be kept with goldfish they love the coldwater just make sure they get food and can't jump out. Apple snails can be kept but once again gf can and do eat them if they are small enough to fit. (Mine eat the babies if I let any hatch)

The big thing is to make sure your goldfish have enough space 10 to 20 gallons of water each before you add others to the tank. And make sure any fish can withstand the 10xGPH that goldfish require. Most your smaller fish cant take all that current so keep that in mind.(zfish)

Good luck

Fishguy2727
11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Actually if anything, fancy goldfish need less flow than many of these could handle.

Platies, mollies, swordtails, guppies, danios, and a few others are not tropical the way many people think of them as, they are subtropical, just like goldfish. So the temp is not really an issue with these species. Other things may be limitations though, like mollies nipping at round-bodied goldfish.

Goldfishlover
11-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Those fish still can not be kept with goldfish.
They are small and the current would be stressfull on them. They require different food and they also need warmer tanks then what goldfish need.

Fishguy2727
11-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Actually goldfish do not require the cold temps people think. They are fine in almost any temp. And again, those species are not as tropical as people think. All of those fish are fine in room temp, just like goldfish.

Again, those fish are fine in faster current. They are all very active species. Danios, guppies, and platies all love a lot of flow. They can stand much more flow than a round-bodied goldfish.

Goldfishlover
11-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Opps sorry I well not feed the troll. How a troll got so many post is beyond me. And since the board likes trolls I wont be back.
Please do your research cause the troll is wrong.

Fishguy2727
11-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Please support your claims. Please do not come on here with one post and say others are wrong without any information to back it up. Any links to the information?

Try using fishbase.org. It is one of the best resources of accurate information about real geographic distributions, max sizes, water parameters, etc. Even beginner books put things like danios and guppies at lower temps than the tropical fish they are usually lumped in with.

Please stay. Just because your first experience here is someone trying to share more informtation that does not happen to match what you already know does not make them a troll or make this forum a bad place. Please stay and discuss this and enjoy the forum.

How many goldfish do you have? What is their setup like?

cer
12-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Koi ruds some loaches minnows.

machineman
12-15-2008, 11:45 PM
I started out my tank with Green sunfish, Mosquito fish, a large mouth bass and a crayfish.
The greens are really great they will eat anything and quickly got used to the tank. The bass was great until he got large enough that I spent all my time feeding him. The mosquito fish also adapted to tank life quickly. I netted all these fish from my pond. The largest one started at about 1.5". I had an ich problem when I added a gold fish for my son and when I added the medicin it killed the bass and some of sunfish.
If I was going to get some more native cold water fish I would try Orange spotted sunfish, Blue spotted sunfish or black banded sunfish. Sachs aquaculture has lots of other native cold water fish and inverts also. http://www.aquaculturestore.com/
I have also had Bull heads and bluegills. The NANFA forum will give you lots of info no natives.

kzimmerman
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Goldfish really do best as a species specific tank. Aggression, differing water parameters, diet, activity levels, ect. all play a major part of this. Temperature may not be the only deciding factor. If you wanted something else to keep in there, may I recomend some apple snails, or possibly, if the tank is heated, a pleco? Those are really the only two critters that i can think of that would go with goldfish well. It is true that many other fish will survive in a goldfish tank, but there is a difference between survival and thriving.

Jenilyn
03-21-2009, 07:59 PM
you could get a couple Axolotls but they need certain water conditions...so i would research.
LOVE my axie