PDA

View Full Version : amano shrimp breeding?

crash32
11-16-2007, 02:41 AM
has anyone ever successfully bred amano shrimp because one of shrimp suddenly looks a lot plumper, colorful, and has little white egg like things near their tail. it is really big compared to the other ones & it looks healthy. thanks to whoever can answer

CAF
11-16-2007, 03:28 AM
Female Amanos are larger than the males.

In reference to successfully breeding them, no I have not managed to do so yet. In order to do so, you need to slowly convert the female that is berried (carrying eggs) to brackish, wait for the eggs to drop, then remove mom, and then convert the tank to salt. After this you need to wait until the little zoes have molted 7 times and look like small shrimp, then you need to convert back to brackish, wait for a few more molts, and convert to freshwater. Any mess ups along the way and all of the zoes die....

It is definately not easy. Good luck!!! Let us know if you manage it!

richberstler
11-16-2007, 03:34 AM
As CAF said, everything I've read about breeding them requires work. If you hav the patience to switch the mom to brackish water then rear the young in saltwater you are better than me. Also I believe the young will require special 'tiny' foods. I think it would be possible to grind down flake food to small bites.
Good luck!

crash32
11-16-2007, 03:40 AM
thanks for all the help...yea thats probably not gonna happen, i'm really not into breeding & raising small fragile creatures.

CAF
11-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I definately can understand that. As for feeding them, for anyone interested, greenwater initially, then moving up to tiny particulate matter, and so on....