PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bristlenose

adamlafrance
12-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Stopped by my LFS today and the had a bunch of BN plecos which I never see in any of my local stores seeing as they mostly carry only common plecos. These guys were approximately 1"-1.5" and really healthy looking. Thought about grabbing one for my 38g freshwater that's stocked with 3 juli corys, 10 black neon tetras, and 2 angels. Not sure how compatible they'd be together so I figured before I make the purchase I'd ask all of you first. I know that they usually eat algae or algae wafers along with some veggies, but I also have a bunch of diatoms on the tank glass, would they be harmful to the pleco if it tried to eat them?

fishmommie
12-06-2014, 07:52 PM
How long has your tank been set up? if it's not yet cycled (the nitrogen cycle where you have 0 ammonia and nitrites consistently) then don't get the BNP yet. Toxins settle to the bottom where they mostly live so it would be best to wait.
Otherwise, I see no reason why you shouldn't get one. Don't look for it to eat the diatoms though. It won't. More likely it will eat green algae - so you'd have to supplement with wafers and veggies. \
And if your tank is fairly new those diatoms should go away by themselves.

Stopped by my LFS today and the had a bunch of BN plecos which I never see in any of my local stores seeing as they mostly carry only common plecos. These guys were approximately 1"-1.5" and really healthy looking. Thought about grabbing one for my 38g freshwater that's stocked with 3 juli corys, 10 black neon tetras, and 2 angels. Not sure how compatible they'd be together so I figured before I make the purchase I'd ask all of you first. I know that they usually eat algae or algae wafers along with some veggies, but I also have a bunch of diatoms on the tank glass, would they be harmful to the pleco if it tried to eat them?

Slaphppy7
12-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Good advice...also, I'd find out exactly what kind of BN's these are, some get quite large

They produce quite a large bioload as well

fishmommie
12-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Good advice...also, I'd find out exactly what kind of BN's these are, some get quite large

They produce quite a large bioload as well

I think that the largest a bristle nose will get is 5 inches. Mine's full grown and is all of 4 inches. I love her.

adamlafrance
12-06-2014, 09:38 PM
How long has your tank been set up? if it's not yet cycled (the nitrogen cycle where you have 0 ammonia and nitrites consistently) then don't get the BNP yet. Toxins settle to the bottom where they mostly live so it would be best to wait.
Otherwise, I see no reason why you shouldn't get one. Don't look for it to eat the diatoms though. It won't. More likely it will eat green algae - so you'd have to supplement with wafers and veggies. \
And if your tank is fairly new those diatoms should go away by themselves.

The tank has been up and running since July, corys entered in September, tetras in October, and the angels a few weeks ago. As far as length goes, I've heard BN's will only get around 5 inches

fishmommie
12-06-2014, 09:43 PM
The tank has been up and running since July, corys entered in September, tetras in October, and the angels a few weeks ago. As far as length goes, I've heard BN's will only get around 5 inches

Yes, that's right. I'd add one - and enjoy :o) mine loves zucchini btw

SueD
12-07-2014, 01:21 AM
I have 2 large males that are about 6" inches but my female was a bit smaller. She has since been rehomed as I was done with breeding of these and really didn't have room for her in another tank. I kept two of her fry - one in the same tank he was bred in and one for another tank and both turned out to be males! So I have now have 4 males (1 albino and 3 brown) in 3 tanks. Two are not yet fully grown.

adamlafrance
12-07-2014, 03:10 AM
I've also read that only the males develop the "horns" on their head. At the store I went to, none of them had horns. Are they all females or do the horns develop later on? Picked up 2 more cories tonight, one isn't looking so hot. I'll probably head back in a week or so for the BN. Thanks for the help everyone :D

Slaphppy7
12-07-2014, 03:16 AM
Those are the "bristles" in Bristle Nose Pleco

They will be hard to see in young fry, but they develope quite rapidly as they mature...females have them too, but a much smaller size bristles, and fewer

That's why I asked earlier what "BNP's" these are...they could be common plecos...or one of the many things LFS tend to label as "pleco"

SueD
12-07-2014, 03:22 AM
It will be hard to tell if you have a male or female if they are very young. Just have to wait it out for a few months.

talldutchie
12-07-2014, 07:19 AM
There's more than 60 species of bristlenose. At least half a dozen appear in the trade frquently.
If this story suddenly has a load of youngsters then it's probably a local keeper that had to get rid of a nest and that makes probable that it's either Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus or the slightly smaller Ancistrus dolichopterus .

With both you will have to wait until they're reaching sexual maturity before you can sex them. And that's about 8 months or 3 inch in length.

They are good tank citizens. Give them a place to hide and regular greens to eat and they won't even bother the cories (of which you could easily use 3 more) beyond chasing them away from food. Get a mixed sex pair and you will have fry every month.

adamlafrance
12-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Those are the "bristles" in Bristle Nose Pleco

They will be hard to see in young fry, but they develope quite rapidly as they mature...females have them too, but a much smaller size bristles, and fewer

That's why I asked earlier what "BNP's" these are...they could be common plecos...or one of the many things LFS tend to label as "pleco"

They had about 4" long common plecos in a separate tank. The markings were different from the BN's but just to be sure I looked up a picture of the BN's and the fit the description, darker in color with lighter spots all over, just no bristles which is why I was concerned.

talldutchie
12-08-2014, 05:57 AM
females of the common a.k.a Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus don't develop more than a bit of stubble on the lip. Males need to be near maturity to show bristles.

That aside, the whole nose is different from the "common pleco" and the dorsal fin is smaller.

fishmommie
12-08-2014, 02:52 PM
I was hoping for a male but ended up with a female. She has no bristles but she's still a joy to watch and really helps keep the tank clean. you might consider an albino - which is what I have. She's a pale butter yellow and easy to spot in the tank.

Slaphppy7
12-08-2014, 03:03 PM
If I ever considered getting another pleco, it would be light colored...we rarely see ours, because he blends right in with the driftwood

showmebutterfly
12-08-2014, 04:35 PM
My BNP blends in with the DW too. But still love to see him when he's out and about. My dad got a BNP for his tank and my parents named it Waldo. I'm jealous I didn't think of that name for mine!

Slaphppy7
12-08-2014, 04:36 PM
LOL, that's a perfect name for an elusive BNP

RiversGirl
12-08-2014, 04:54 PM
If I ever considered getting another pleco, it would be light colored...we rarely see ours, because he blends right in with the driftwood

Great tip. My kids keep picking out plecos whenever they see one, so I'd guess one is in my future at some point.

My BNP blends in with the DW too. But still love to see him when he's out and about. My dad got a BNP for his tank and my parents named it Waldo. I'm jealous I didn't think of that name for mine!

How apt!!

talldutchie
12-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Funny how some people's fish are so secretive. Mine I see all the time from about 6 onwards until an hour pas tlights out and again in the early morning.

fishmommie
12-08-2014, 09:24 PM
My bnp is out quite a bit - it's the cory cats that I rarely see. they are almost 3 years old now and they still scatter and hide when I approach the tank. Oh well.

adamlafrance
12-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Never thought of that reason for an albino! Interesting you say this with the corys though, the three in my main tank don't mind people at all, but the three new ones in the QT are still pretty skittish. Thought about an albino, but I try to stick with darker more neutral tones on all my fish so that the colors of my angels will pop a little more.

fishmommie
12-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Never thought of that reason for an albino! Interesting you say this with the corys though, the three in my main tank don't mind people at all, but the three new ones in the QT are still pretty skittish. Thought about an albino, but I try to stick with darker more neutral tones on all my fish so that the colors of my angels will pop a little more.

I have a single angel in the tank with the albino BNP. Trust me. It does not take away from the angel's colors. I will always go for an albino simply because you do get to see more of their activities.

Here's my little character upside down beneath a slice of zucchini38148 munching away

adamlafrance
12-09-2014, 01:06 AM
Wow, really beautiful looking fish, fishmommie! I just might have to re-consider!

fishmommie
12-09-2014, 01:19 AM
I think you'd really like one. I never would have gotten this photo of her if she was a dark color. She's in her little rock cave, upside down and had been sucking on the bottom of the rock and fell asleep. Hysterical, right?

Wow, really beautiful looking fish, fishmommie! I just might have to re-consider!

SueD
12-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Here's my big brown BNP. Notice how he really almost disappears against the dark substrate. I would also suggest that you consider an albino. I can't get a good picture of the albino I have in another tank as he dives into his cave whenever I get close. But when he's out, at least I can really see him.

fishmommie
12-09-2014, 01:28 AM
Wow. What a fish!

Slaphppy7
12-09-2014, 02:56 AM
Hysterical, right?

As long as she's not dead!...too funny

Here's my big brown BNP. Notice how he really almost disappears against the dark substrate. I would also suggest that you consider an albino. I can't get a good picture of the albino I have in another tank as he dives into his cave whenever I get close. But when he's out, at least I can really see him.

Gadzooks, "Bristlemania", lol...a fine boy you have

SueD
12-09-2014, 04:56 AM
As long as she's not dead!...too funny

Gadzooks, "Bristlemania", lol...a fine boy you have

He's so ugly, he's cute! But this is why I would caution those who say BNP's stay "small". There are exceptions. My albino is about the same size with very large bristles also.

showmebutterfly
12-09-2014, 02:21 PM
I love the BNPs! I used to think they were ugly but now think they are adorable. The pic of the albino BNP laying on its back munching on the zucchini is too funny, as well as the one sleeping on its back.

Boundava
12-09-2014, 02:54 PM
I've also read that only the males develop the "horns" on their head. At the store I went to, none of them had horns. Are they all females or do the horns develop later on? Picked up 2 more cories tonight, one isn't looking so hot. I'll probably head back in a week or so for the BN. Thanks for the help everyone :D

That young they will not have horns, it won't develop until they get a bit bigger. My albino BNP is 6" and when I had a female she was 5" but built like a wedge. Females have a more triangular shaped body versus the males which is more streamlined. You have an established tank so should be okay, but they do add a bit to your bioload, so check you water for a month or so until your bacteria can catch up. If they are medusas then the females can also have bristles. My female BNP had no bristles.

Boundava
12-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I was going to post photos, but it won't let me...

adamlafrance
01-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Ended up getting a BNP today and I'm super excited. Only about 1.5 inches long with no bristles yet, so I'm excited to see if we got a boy or a girl!

fishmommie
01-30-2015, 06:14 PM
they are really cool fish. I have 2 - both albinos - and get a kick out of them. Don't forget to feed them veggies. They love zucchini, cucs, and yellow squash - as well as cauliflower and broccoli :o)

adamlafrance
01-30-2015, 06:22 PM
they are really cool fish. I have 2 - both albinos - and get a kick out of them. Don't forget to feed them veggies. They love zucchini, cucs, and yellow squash - as well as cauliflower and broccoli :o)

I was thinking about you when I was deciding between regular and albino today! They only had one regular one left so I snagged that one, but they had albinos that were probably just under an inch long! The one I got though has got quite the personality, so I'm hoping he'll be a great source of entertainment. Do they eat their veggies raw?

fishmommie
01-30-2015, 07:15 PM
some people blanch them but i never have. It may take a while for your little one to find his veggies but once he does, he'll start looking for it :o)

pRED
01-30-2015, 07:16 PM
I think you'd really like one. I never would have gotten this photo of her if she was a dark color. She's in her little rock cave, upside down and had been sucking on the bottom of the rock and fell asleep. Hysterical, right?

Yea...the first time I saw my ABN do that I was shocked, pissed thinking he was dead. :)

toddnbecka
01-31-2015, 08:57 AM
I feed mine (couple hundred or so, been breeding them for years now) french cut canned green beans.

cm12setx
01-31-2015, 04:43 PM
I have a single angel in the tank with the albino BNP. Trust me. It does not take away from the angel's colors. I will always go for an albino simply because you do get to see more of their activities.

Here's my little character upside down beneath a slice of zucchini38148 munching away

This pic reminded me of Garfield the cat.