PDA

View Full Version : 40 Gal. Tank with Established Angel - Bottom Feeders?

fishnerd1230
12-06-2014, 12:17 AM
I used to have a large school of corydoras, but since my angel (and the tank) is 2.5 years old they have all died of old age. I recently lost the last one, and I am thinking of a very low maintenance scavenger to add to the tank without stressing my angel too much. Cost is also an issue.

Possibly ghost shrimp? If I did this I would have to add more plants to my tank because as of right now I only have one anubias that has done very well. I would probably add more of this variety so that the ghost shrimp would have a chance to get bigger and hopefully minimize the number that fall prey to the angel. I would say my angel fish is about 4-5 inches from tip to tip of the dorsal and anal fins.

I don't know what is best to add at this point, because my angel is doing extremely well the way the tank is now, and I don't want to add a ton of bio load to the tank like a large group of corydoras would.

Cliff
12-06-2014, 03:43 AM
What about a single small pleco, like a rubber lip ?

fishmommie
12-06-2014, 04:22 AM
+ to Cliff. A bristle nose would also work. And snails. my apple snails have always been work horses.

fishnerd1230
12-06-2014, 04:26 AM
I already have a pleco, but I'm looking for scavengers, not algae eaters.

fishmommie
12-06-2014, 03:25 PM

plecos also scavenge for fish food. My little BNP is constantly scuttling around the bottom for leftovers. And they love veggies and are a lot of fun to watch munching on zucchini or cucs - and BNP's are not as secretive as some other plecos and can be very entertaining.

Slaphppy7
12-06-2014, 04:12 PM
I would try red cherry shrimp (RCS) over the ghost shrimp....readily available, inexpensive, breed prolifically, and excellent scavengers

The angel may snack on a few, but if you've ample hiding places, they'll do just fine.

Plecos and snails scavenge for uneaten food too, as suggested above.

SueD
12-06-2014, 06:08 PM
I don't think I would chance the RCS with the angel. Too expensive a snack and I think you'd have to start with about 50 to try to sustain a colony against an angel. Ghost shrimp are cheap but I think still a risk and any breeding they do will definitely not survive the larva stage.

Is the pleco you have in this tank or another tank? I agree with the others, my plecos (BNP's) come out front and center when I drop in pellets or even flake food. But maybe also reconsider cories. They're more active than a pleco. I'm not much of a snail person except for nerites as a weapon against algae, but some of the other varieties do help as scavengers. I have my fair share of pest snails and I find them creepy.

What else is in this tank with the angel?

fishnerd1230
12-08-2014, 07:18 PM
I don't think I would chance the RCS with the angel. Too expensive a snack and I think you'd have to start with about 50 to try to sustain a colony against an angel. Ghost shrimp are cheap but I think still a risk and any breeding they do will definitely not survive the larva stage.

Is the pleco you have in this tank or another tank? I agree with the others, my plecos (BNP's) come out front and center when I drop in pellets or even flake food. But maybe also reconsider cories. They're more active than a pleco. I'm not much of a snail person except for nerites as a weapon against algae, but some of the other varieties do help as scavengers. I have my fair share of pest snails and I find them creepy.

What else is in this tank with the angel?

Currently in the tank, I have my angel, 1 clown pleco, and 4 kuhli loaches. As mentioned before, this tank is a 40 gallon tall. I only see my pleco at night or when theres an algae pellet in the bottom (he's a little shy). So my ultimate question is if I should get another school of Corydoras, some type of shrimp, or if there's any other option.

Slaphppy7
12-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Corys would work just fine...be sure to get at least 6

Cliff
12-09-2014, 01:21 AM

What exact purpose are you look at for a scavenger ? What is it you want cleaned up off the bottom of the tank ?

fishnerd1230
12-09-2014, 04:00 AM
What exact purpose are you look at for a scavenger ? What is it you want cleaned up off the bottom of the tank ?

Mostly poop, but since I am away at college most of the time my mother is taking care of the tank and tends to over feed slightly.

fishnerd1230
12-09-2014, 04:04 AM
Corys would work just fine...be sure to get at least 6

Would it be adding too much to put a school of corys and some ghost shrimp?

SueD
12-09-2014, 04:46 AM

Mostly poop, but since I am away at college most of the time my mother is taking care of the tank and tends to over feed slightly.

Cories will not clean up the poop. Not sure anything will except a syphon. They will scavenge food but you may have some issues with your tank bottom if you have lost all of your previous cories in 2.5 yrs or less. Unless they were a little older when you got them. These should live a little longer than 2.5 yrs and being bottom dwellers, cories will take the hit first if there are issues with substrate quality. You'd want to make sure you can keep the bottom pretty clean before you add more cories.

Kaliahk
12-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Cories will not clean up the poop. Not sure anything will except a syphon. They will scavenge food but you may have some issues with your tank bottom if you have lost all of your previous cories in 2.5 yrs or less. Unless they were a little older when you got them. These should live a little longer than 2.5 yrs and being bottom dwellers, cories will take the hit first if there are issues with substrate quality. You'd want to make sure you can keep the bottom pretty clean before you add more cories.

I am with Sue. If you lost cories in 2.5 years, you have some issues likely with water quality. I have limited experience with cories - mine are about 2 years old now. But I understand that they can live for 15 years if properly cared for. One thing I did learn is that not keeping the bottom well siphoned of waste will cause high ammonia levels near the substrate, which will harm your cories, even though your water parameters near the top of the tank where you test are fine. Did any of your cories have erosion to their barbels? This is a sure sign of this issue. Under the circumstances, unless the substrate will be regularly siphoned, I would stay away from cories for the time being, though they are an excellent choice for cleaning up extra food. Poop should be cleaned every couple of weeks by vacuuming the substrate. This is not something you should expect other fish to do.