PDA

View Full Version : Betta Tankmates

osyris
12-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Hey All!

I recently got a betta fish thinking that it would be something cheep that I could drop into a bowl, feed every day and change the water once in a while. After doing some research I learned that the common ideas about bettas are both incorrect and somewhat cruel. I got very attached to my fish, so I wanted the best for him. I recently purchased and am in the process of setting up a 37 gallon tank for him. I have a few decorations and some fake plants to give him something to explore and hope to get him in the tank in the next few days.

Questions:
Now that I have a very large tank, I was thinking of giving him some tankmates. I am looking for some fish that I can put into the tank with him that he should get along with. I know that there are millions of resources online on this topic, but I couldn't find much useful information about mixing bettas with other fish in such a large tank. I was thinking 10 or so neon tetras, but I am afraid that they will nip at his fins. Thoughts?

Slaphppy7
12-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Are you in the process of cycling the tank?

Neons would be fine with him, as would many other tetras...I prefer cardinals over neons, myself

Compass
12-05-2014, 04:24 PM
You just set this tank up correct? Then it isn't cycled yet. Yes you could go ahead and put your betta in such a large tank and he'd be fine with regular water changes, but you'll grow a very weak bacteria colony with just one tiny fish in such a big tank. Thus when you get more fish and toss in there, you'll overload the system and crash it. If you go to the beginner section and look under cycling you'll see a sticky for the fishless cycle. This will help you get a strong bacteria colony.

With that said, putting a male betta in a tank with other fish is always going to have risks. However quite a few of us (myself included) have kept bettas with other fish in smaller tanks with no problem. So you could totally do it in a 37 gallon. I have kuhlii loaches with my betta in a 10 gallon. Not a bit of trouble.

osyris
12-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Yes, I am doing a fishless cycle combined with Seachem Stability. I have a friend who maintains and sets up tanks professionally walking me through the process. His process is a little different from what I have read online, but he is literally a professional.

Any other ideas for small active fish I could safely house with him? I have read that neons and cardinals occasionally fin nip bettas and I want to make sure my little guy is safe. :)

AquaGeek10
12-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Some gupies would look nice, but bewhere they breed fsast, so I would only get males, also a dwarf gourami, and some shrimp would look good.

AquaGeek10
12-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Never mind, no guppie, I am still tired, bettas mistake guppies for another betta and kill them.

Slaphppy7
12-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Never mind, no guppie, I am still tired, bettas mistake guppies for another betta and kill them.

I have had a betta and 2 male guppies in my 10G for many months now, they are just fine.

But it is not always the case with these two fish.

AquaGeek10
12-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah, my old male betta did fine with one but it was a lot smaller and was a different type not a cobra or fancy so it looked different.

afro123
12-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Some gupies would look nice, but bewhere they breed fsast, so I would only get males, also a dwarf gourami, and some shrimp would look good.

No to the gourami they can also get aggressive.
If you have enough cover then shrimp would work. I would suggest corys instead. But it all depends on the betta.

AquaGeek10
12-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Man I need to stop staying up till 12:00, gouramis are labyrith fish too so they would fight, yeah the male betta, corys, a pair of kribnesis, mollies, a few ottos, and maybe some shrimp would work.

Drew's_Fish_99
12-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Cardinals tetras are just about the same as a neon tetra but hardier (and more appealing IMO) and would do better if the Betta showed any aggression towards them at first. I've also never had issues with my cardinals nipping, not sure about neons. There are several other tetra species that you could do. If planted enough, shrimp are definitely an option. Just stay away from nippy fish, fast moving fish, fish bigger than the betta, and fish that resemble the betta.

osyris
12-08-2014, 02:35 PM
I ended up getting 10 Cardinal Tetras and 2 Kuhli Loaches. After some reading, I decided to put the other fish in the tank first, and let them acclimate and then introduce the Betta. Everything is going well so far. When I first introduced the Betta, he definitely marked his territory but after a few minutes, everything was peaceful in the tank :)

Slaphppy7
12-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Good deal....so the tank is cycled?

I believe the loaches do well in groups of at least 6

osyris
12-08-2014, 03:18 PM
It seems to be. I was using Stability and although a lot of people say it doesn't work, I am testing the water twice a day, and so far everything is going great!

Compass
12-08-2014, 03:48 PM
get as many of those loaches as you can. In a 37 gallon you could get ten easy. They are so cool! Plus they behave so much better with a big group of them and will be seen more.