PDA

View Full Version : cichlid for a 30

kid_fishboy13
11-15-2007, 11:34 PM
as the title states i want a small south american cichlid for my 30gal. im not sure exactly what kind of filtration im gonna have but i do know that it will be at least 2-3 times what the maker says it could be used for. any ideas?

TowBoater
11-16-2007, 12:04 AM
We need details, any tankmates? Size? Dull or bright? Nocturnal? We need DETAILS!! LOL!!!!

tropfish
11-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Would you like one "wet pet" or a couple smaller cichlids? We also need what kuli said. Along iwth your intended w/c schedule and you tanks ph if you can.

kid_fishboy13
11-16-2007, 02:51 AM
no tankmates
size doesn't matter
as colorful and bright as possible(to draw attention away from the rest of my room)
preferably diurnal, but ill go for nocturnal if its really cool looking
any where between 1 and 5 would be great
w/c either 50% weekly or 25% twice weekly
ph isnt something i try to mess with, i tend to lose fish shortly after such attempts

TowBoater
11-16-2007, 02:56 AM
No, what is the standard pH without messing with it? Some cichlids I have kept that are able to be in there are Firemouths and Angels. You could have a pair of either in there, firemouths are a beautiful cichlid. You could also keep several rams or kribs in there. There is just such a large variety of fish you can keep in there it is hard to pick for you. You are the one that has the tank so it is your choice.

kid_fishboy13
11-16-2007, 03:05 AM
oh sorry, lol. every time i test it, the ph is somewhere between 7 and 7.2

just to verify, this includes tap, tank, and water about to be added

TowBoater
11-16-2007, 03:07 AM
That is just right in my opinion. Here take a look at this link and the cichlids, make sure to notice the tank size minimum.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=889

kid_fishboy13
11-16-2007, 03:16 AM
thanks Kuli! heres another possibilty: what if it was in an 80gal, but sharing with a 20in(and growing) pleco? which set up do you think would be better?

ps: ive decided on the severum

TowBoater
11-16-2007, 03:19 AM
That pleco is to large even at that point for an 80gal, he needs a 150g at least. Good choice on Cichlid though, they need a 55g min in my opinion and are like a smaller, less aggressive oscar. I have one and love him to death, he eats right from my hand and allows me to touch him, here is a few pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/tessamax/DSCF0447.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/tessamax/DSCF0442.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/tessamax/DSCF0434.jpg

kid_fishboy13
11-16-2007, 03:27 AM
hmmm....that presents a problem. i had to bargain three weeks to get an 80 and that was because my parents thought the tank was 55. i do know someone i could entrust with dear old sucker(and has a 500Gal indoor pond), but giving him up is gonna be hard. on the other hand, cant have an unhappy pleco and i could still visit.

EDIT:what is your personal opinion for minimum tank size for a pair of rams?

TowBoater
11-16-2007, 03:29 AM
That would be a good place for him is that pond. I would get the 80 gal and get a pair of severums, a jack, and a pair of firemouths. That would be cool but the jack may get to aggressive. You can't forget some of the other non-cichlids that are cool like the featherfins and ropefish which I have both and absolutely LOVE my featherfin, he is so cool!!

Incredulous_Ed
11-16-2007, 04:24 AM
hmmm....that presents a problem. i had to bargain three weeks to get an 80 and that was because my parents thought the tank was 55. i do know someone i could entrust with dear old sucker(and has a 500Gal indoor pond), but giving him up is gonna be hard. on the other hand, cant have an unhappy pleco and i could still visit.

EDIT:what is your personal opinion for minimum tank size for a pair of rams?
A pair of rams will do fine in a 10 gallon, so you could have 6 rams in a 30 gallon, more if you up the filtration.

TowBoater
11-16-2007, 12:13 PM
A pair of rams will do fine in a 10 gallon, so you could have 6 rams in a 30 gallon, more if you up the filtration.

I have to disagree here, they can live in a 10g but can't THRIVE in a 10g, I think all cichlids need at least a 20g.