PDA

View Full Version : RCS with HOB filter

Blizzy_206
11-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Picked up some Red cherry shrimp the other day and have a HoB filter. Currently we have cut a piece of filter media to fit around the intake, but it isn't the most appealing thing to look at..

What have you guys used or recommend for HoB filter intake covers? A regular old sponge or some commercial product?

I have heard of just getting a mesh like pantyhose, but wouldn't that still have the potential to suck the shrimp repeatedly into it?

If it helps, we have a Quietflow 55/75. Don't want to lose any shrimp to the big bad filter :)

Thanks!

toddnbecka
11-28-2014, 02:11 AM
An air driven sponge filter is best, shrimp don't need very much water flow. I used the replacement sponges for Penguin reverse-flow powerhead kits on my hob filter intakes for some time, now I use ATI replacement sponges for prefilters.

Slaphppy7
11-28-2014, 02:45 AM
http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/

Blizzy_206
11-28-2014, 03:40 AM
Considered both options and went with the metal one. That is a very sleek look! But most importantly it also serves the purpose of protecting the shrimpies.

Thanks to both of you :)

Slaphppy7
11-28-2014, 05:01 PM
You are very welcome...note that the SS mesh prefilter come with 2 hole sizes...get the smaller one, you'll never have shrimplets sucked up

It will collect detritus, I clean mine about once a week...hot tap water and an old toothbrush is all you need to get it clean

Blizzy_206
11-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Measured today with a water change.. Just went to order and they won't ship to my igloo up here in Canada :scry: haha. Hate when that happens...

Finding other vendors for SS filter guards but they don't look as good of quality.

Edit: Probably going with this http://www.theshrimptank.com/hardware/stainless-steel-filter-guards/

toddnbecka
11-29-2014, 05:54 AM
The SS filter guards will quickly collect debris and slow down the filter flow. Not a big deal for shrimp, but it gets to be a pain to keep them clean. Sponges take longer to collect enough debris to impact the flow rate, and keep most of it out of the filter as well. You can rinse the prefilter sponge in tap water w/out disturbing you biofilter.

sheamurai
11-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Won't ship to you? That's odd. I had no problem (except it was a bit pricey) getting them delivered to me here in Ontario...I'm not exactly in the boonies but I'm pretty close!
The vagaries of shipping are a mystery. I've had an 80in TV delivered here, but Amazon couldn't ship me an electric screwdriver. Weird.

Slaphppy7
11-29-2014, 03:45 PM
The SS filter guards will quickly collect debris and slow down the filter flow. Not a big deal for shrimp, but it gets to be a pain to keep them clean. Sponges take longer to collect enough debris to impact the flow rate, and keep most of it out of the filter as well. You can rinse the prefilter sponge in tap water w/out disturbing you biofilter.

I tried several different pre filter sponges...shrimplets still found their way into the HOB and canister filters.

The flow is not significantly slowed in my tanks when the SS prefilters pick up debris...as I stated before, you have to clean them about once a week...well worth the 10 minutes it takes, IMO

Drew's_Fish_99
11-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for this Blizzy!
I plan on getting some shrimp whenever I can make it to my LFS, and was going to have to ask this exact question. I've heard pantyhose as well. Any opinion on that method guys? Right now, I'm probably going with sponge unless I find a better method.

Slaphppy7
11-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks for this Blizzy!
I plan on getting some shrimp whenever I can make it to my LFS, and was going to have to ask this exact question. I've heard pantyhose as well. Any opinion on that method guys? Right now, I'm probably going with sponge unless I find a better method.

Steel mesh prefilters>sponge prefilters>panty hose

Panty hose will stifle the flow within a day or two

Blizzy_206
11-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Won't ship to you? That's odd. I had no problem (except it was a bit pricey) getting them delivered to me here in Ontario...I'm not exactly in the boonies but I'm pretty close!
The vagaries of shipping are a mystery. I've had an 80in TV delivered here, but Amazon couldn't ship me an electric screwdriver. Weird.

It is bizarre... I live in Toronto, Ontario ahaha but for whatever reason it kept denying my purchase for shipping restrictions... # 1 rule of business, don't make it hard to take the customers money when they want to give it to you thumbs2: Got what I wanted nevertheless, from a guy that has some beautiful shrimp varieties! :) (Multiple tank syndrome anyone?)

Sponge vs steel mesh seems to be 50/50 based on the searching around I did. Many prefer sponges, many prefer the SS guards. Personal preference led me to the SS, don't mind cleaning it more often as I only have one tank. I also didn't like the bulkiness of my current wrapped filter media around the intake, figured I wouldn't like the sponge for similar reasoning.

Drew, also getting cherry shrimp or hoping to see another kind? I can say I have fallen in love with the shrimp more than I thought I would.

Slaphppy7
11-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Get in touch with h4n directly, he's the owner of the website...here's his thread, shoot him a PM: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=116432

Blizzy_206
11-29-2014, 11:30 PM
Already purchased, but will do for another item when I am ready! Naturally I searched the whole website for other "necessities" haha :)

Slaphppy7
11-30-2014, 12:03 AM
So you tried one of these? http://www.theshrimptank.com/hardware/stainless-steel-filter-guards/

Let us know how they work out for you

Drew's_Fish_99
11-30-2014, 02:31 AM
Yes, I'm going with RCS. They're easy to find and very interesting to me! I love their color too! There are a couple other kinds I wouldn't mind having. But honestly prefer the cherry shrimp overall.

Blizzy_206
11-30-2014, 04:18 AM
Yupp that's what I got :) I will certainly provide feedback on it after some use. For now it's the waiting game of shipping.. haha

I had some other shrimp varieties that I wanted, but they are less beginner (and budget) friendly. So another day maybe.. The RCS are a blast regardless :19: they won't disappoint you :)