PDA

View Full Version : BN male protecting babies?

aparker2005
11-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Hey guys I have a 55g with 2 female BN plecos which I have since moved to my 20g. I added a male last Saturday.

When I introduced him to the tank, he immediately started rubbing against the females. He and the smaller female went into a piece of tree root where you can't see them and stayed until Monday.

The females never went back in, but I've only seen the male come out for a few minutes since. Could there be eggs/babies that fast and he's in there protecting them? That was really quick if so.

I planned on moving him to the 20g as well for breeding if I could ever find him out.

Thanks

SueD
11-22-2014, 10:54 PM
If they were all of breeding age, yes, that could happen fast. They are pretty easy breeders.

When I upgraded one of my tanks, and had to move all my fish, the BNP was the easiest to move. He always ran into his cave when I was near the tank. I used two nets - one on either end of the cave to lift it and moved the cave with him still inside.

Good luck with this and let us know if you find baby BNP's anytime soon.

toddnbecka
11-23-2014, 04:06 AM
Not likely there are eggs if he's come back out, once they spawn he'll stay put and fan them until they hatch. Even then he won't move far or often.

aparker2005
11-23-2014, 04:07 AM
He came out for about 5 minutes and he's been in since

Baxter
11-23-2014, 04:44 AM
Keep us posted.

Mine are coming up on spawning age in a couple months (fingers crossed). While I'm waiting I've been doing an awful amount of reading and wishing. Sounds to me like you might have had some action. Getting a successful spawn in your own tank is always exciting.

talldutchie
11-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Not likely there are eggs if he's come back out, once they spawn he'll stay put and fan them until they hatch. Even then he won't move far or often.

Some males on their first and second clutch will briefly pop out now and then in the first few days