PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Goldfish Question

Faith_at_Large
11-15-2007, 08:02 PM
I am not a goldfish person, but our workplace has a goldfish tank and I am concerned about it. I know that Goldfish are fairly hardy but the water looks horrible and this is true even after cleaning the tank and changing some of the filter material (AquaClear 30) last night. A co-worker with more experience than I do with fish tells me that it is ok to feed goldfish every couple of days or so and tends to overfeed them so that they can graze on the leftovers until she feeds them again. I keep tropical fish and remove any leftovers when possible and feed morning and evening, except on weekends (they "fast" at work, no "extra" food to last the weekend on the tank floor).

There was also a small heater (suited to a ten gallon tank) in this 29 gallon tank, it was only being used to keep the tank within the green range on the floating thermometer. Do goldfish require this at all? The tank is indoors in a heated building (not very warm, but not freezing either). I unplugged the heater but will rethink it if I hear different from more experienced goldfish keepers.

gm72
11-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Goldfish are indeed coldwater. No heater is needed in a building that is at a constant temperature.

Overfeeding is easy with a goldfish, and it will graze on the "leftovers", but you are far better off practicing sound feeding technique such that most of the food is eaten in a minute or two. Repeat the next day, etc.

An Aquaclear 30 on a 29 gallon tank with a goldfish is not nearly enough filtration. I'd move up to at LEAST an Aquaclear 70.

Faith_at_Large
11-16-2007, 12:30 AM
That is what I thought. As for the filter, it is older and was originally called the AquaPlus 150 and the filter material that fits it now is called 30, probably to reflect that it is for a 30 gallon tank. Are you saying that goldfish really do require a much higher level of filtration? That might explain the extreme difficulty in keeping the water clear. The filter components are also becoming grungy quite fast.

tropfish
11-16-2007, 12:36 AM
yes, and also the filter rating should be cut in half, and that would be the actual filtering capacity.

gm72
11-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Filter rating in half but even more so for such a dirty fish as a goldfish. As he gets bigger the filter will never keep up and he'll die.

Faith_at_Large
11-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for your help. FYI, there are currently five goldfish that range from about 3 to 5 inches in length in that 29 gallon tank. I figure that the tank is already overstocked but I am hoping that we will have a solution to that soon. Some of my co-workers are serious goldfish keepers (not counting the one who likes to massively overfeed) and may take some home.

gm72
11-17-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm surprised they are still alive in those conditions! Wow!

Glad to hear you are pushing to improve their situation. Great job.

elGatoNegro63
11-23-2007, 07:57 AM
I am not a goldfish person, but our workplace has a goldfish tank and I am concerned about it. I know that Goldfish are fairly hardy but the water looks horrible and this is true even after cleaning the tank and changing some of the filter material (AquaClear 30) last night. A co-worker with more experience than I do with fish tells me that it is ok to feed goldfish every couple of days or so and tends to overfeed them so that they can graze on the leftovers until she feeds them again...

I would like to attend to the feeding/water conditon part of this question. I am going to give my understanding about these fish (goldfish). If I am incorrect in anything I say, I hope that someone will correct me. Thanks!!

First though, I would like to say that goldfish are related to the carp..and are generally messy fish to begin with. It is my understanding (and belief), that when you feed your fish; you should only feed your fish what they can eat within 5 minutes time. If they don't eat it...they you should syphon it out afterwards. The food itself sounds like the culprit here. I have assumed (hopefully correctly) that what you are experiencing is cloudy water. If this is the case...then I believe what is happening is that the "leftover" food is polluting the water.

A better option to feed the fish, if you are concerned with doing so on a schedule: is to purchase an inexpensive feeder. There are many kinds, but a basic one should due the trick (read this thread for more info http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/archive/index.php/t-8008.html). This way, the fish will be fed at regular intervals. You should still monitor the water condition...such as the ph, amonia, nitrate & nitrite. Goldfish are resilliant...but they are not industructable. I would recommend doing frequent water changes of up to 25% several times a week, until the water stays clear. Also, you may need to clean your filter media. Unless it is very old, I would not recommend replacing it yet...but just rinse it off under cool or room temp water until it runs clean. NEVER rinse with hot water. This will kill the good micro-organisms that help to break down the waste products.

Now I know that you didn't mention the size of the tank, or how many goldfish you have. Each of these factors also can contribute to the water quality. Smaller tanks will show pollution faster than larger tanks. And if you have many "dirty" fish...then your tank can also become polluted even quicker (from excriment &/or food).

I have a 10g tank with one Red Cap Oranda Goldfish, and I feed it twice daily (usually), but only a small pinch each time. However, when I was gone over the road on business: the fish were not fed quite as much...and yet still survived. I am fairly sure that if you limit the amount that your fish are getting in food, and do some water changes...you should get this under control fairly quickly. I am glad that you have taken an interest in caring for this tank...and I am glad you thought well enough to get more information from other than you coworker. Please also check out the Article on Goldfish by going to http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/. Also, follow the links from that page to get additional information.

elGatoNegro63
11-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks for your help. FYI, there are currently five goldfish that range from about 3 to 5 inches in length in that 29 gallon tank. I figure that the tank is already overstocked but I am hoping that we will have a solution to that soon. Some of my co-workers are serious goldfish keepers (not counting the one who likes to massively overfeed) and may take some home.

I wish I would have seen this before I made my last reply...kind of. It looks like your tank is also approaching being over crowded. If I remember correctly, a good rule of thumb is that you should have (at least) one gallon of water for every inch of fish. Some fish may need more or less...but that is the general rule. Still...if you limit the amount of food, and do the frequent water changes, you should be able to get it under control.

Let us know...and best of luck in your pursuits.

Faith_at_Large
11-24-2007, 03:08 AM
29 Gallon Tank, five medium sized (4 inches each give or take) goldfish. I do not doubt that the food is a major issue. A small group of us have been discussing the situation and have decided to look into an automatic feeder. I am shopping for one for my own work tank (tropical) to cover Christmas and other vacation periods (no one goes in between Christmas and New Years).

I have been somewhat vigorous with the filter components, switching out two at a time, instead of one (but not the same two). The sponge filter has been getting completely clogged and rinsing it was not enough. I hope to be able to slow down and just change it on its regular schedule with intermediate rinsing. I am pretty certain that the filter went several months without being changed at all. I gave another concerned coworker a list of supplies to pick up, including filter materials and a proper cleaning bucket and syphon - works great. The fish are already starting to look happier, but it was readily apparent that the amount of food was causing trouble - I saw a huge amount of food on the top (before I started this thread) and was told by the original "caretaker" not to scoop it out and later it was all sitting like a tank wide carpet on the bottom. After that the tank looked almost as if we had done nothing, after having cleaned it, the filter assembly (it was getting sluggish), and scraped down the walls. I know about not using hot water and I was not scrubbing all the bacteria away and there is sunken ship decoration and plastic plant that have not been cleaned, and the gravel has been vacuumed in stages.

The boss has agreed to fund a proper tank with what we need and things should be better. Thanks for all your help.