PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Stratum volcanic soil in brackish water

RedLemon
11-10-2014, 09:10 AM
I am just trying to prepare a new tank with brackish water for my bumblebee gobies and some plants (only a java fern at the moment, I want to do my research before getting anymore).
I was talked into buying a bag of Fluval Stratum today and I felt rushed in the store so I didn't have a proper look at the stuff until I got home. On the back of the packet it says "not for use in marine or brackish water aquariums".
Can anyone tell me why this volcanic soil is not good in brackish water?
P.S. I'm new here and new to tropical/brackish fish, try if to learn as much as possible!

RedLemon
11-10-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm trying* to learn as much as possible! Haha
So please help me!

Compass
11-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum! Sorry, the time in which you posted, not too many members are on. lol We're waking up now. It looks like from what I can tell, this substrate is designed for a planted freshwater aquarium. Which means it has nutrients specific for plants. However, in a saltwater or brackish water tank you will end up with a high nutrient content since you don't have plants to consume them. (Yes you have java fern but that isn't going to cut it). Nutrient levels are not good in a SW/BW set up. I would suggest getting a SW specific substrate such as argonite or crushed coral.

Compass
11-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Since you are new to the world of fish and this is your first set up, I want to just put a link to the fishless cycle here in case you haven't already seen it. :)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

RedLemon
11-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks so much! :)

afro123
11-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Also Pm showmebutterfly, she is working on a BW setup now and can help you :)

Also welcome to the AC :)

showmebutterfly
11-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Hooray! Another brackish tank! Woot! Woot!
I have no idea about the soil, but return it if you can. It may have to do with how it might affect the pH?

showmebutterfly
11-10-2014, 04:52 PM
I am just trying to prepare a new tank with brackish water for my bumblebee gobies and some plants (only a java fern at the moment, I want to do my research before getting anymore).
I was talked into buying a bag of Fluval Stratum today and I felt rushed in the store so I didn't have a proper look at the stuff until I got home. On the back of the packet it says "not for use in marine or brackish water aquariums".
Can anyone tell me why this volcanic soil is not good in brackish water?
P.S. I'm new here and new to tropical/brackish fish, try if to learn as much as possible!
I've been doing a bit of research. As far as I've been able to figure out - the volcanic soil may lower pH. Brackish and marine fish and critters tend to prefer fairly high pH. I am going to guess that's why it's not recommended.

RedLemon
11-11-2014, 01:45 AM
That's what I thought and I will be returning it today and hopefully picking up something else...
I've got a few things in mind for my substrate, I'm just not sure what my best option is and if I can mix any of these things or layer them.

Here's the list:

Aragonite
Sand (any recommendations?)
Crushed coral
Vermiculite (good for the plants)
Laterite (also good for plants)

RedLemon
11-11-2014, 05:40 AM
Alright I've got work tomorrow and not much time before the shops close here... so I'm going to see what they've got at a couple different shops and hopefully I'll find something good! I'll let you know what I come home with...

RedLemon
11-11-2014, 07:12 AM
I decided to wait until tomorrow afternoon... hopefully someone can give me advice by then, so I know what to look for.

Compass
11-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Go with a saltwater specific substrate. Argonite or crush coral. You can also use sand, I believe Pool Filter Sand would work in this instance. It is cheap and effective. Do not use anything that is for a planted tank. Laterite would be out. Vermiculite I don't think would even work in a tank. First time you put water in it the whole substrate would float to the top of the tank. lol

Cliff
11-11-2014, 01:18 PM
I would suggest just sticking to a made for marine aquariums. Other substrates will leach out minerals that can cause difficulties with both marine and brackish water parameters.

Marine based substrates will help to maintain the correct calcium and alkalinity levels (through the minerals that will be leached out) which will help you maintain your pH a lot more stable and help you avoid problems with certain types of algaes

showmebutterfly
11-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I have high pH / hard water, so I went with the pool filter sand. Argonite or crushed coral could raise your pH. If your water has a low pH, I recommend those. If your water has high pH, I recommend sand.

RedLemon
11-12-2014, 04:52 AM
Thank you all for your help. The water here has a pretty low pH so I I'm going with the aragonite or crushed coral.
I would also like to know what the effects would be on the water quality and pH if I mixed aragonite/coral with sand or put a layer of sand on top of the aragonite/coral... I can imagine putting a layer of sand on top would stop the aragonite/coral from bringing up the pH as much as it normally would... but that's just a guess.

RedLemon
11-12-2014, 04:57 AM
Also curious about what would be safest and easiest to keep clean.

showmebutterfly
11-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Over time the sand will mix with the other substrate. I think it would be difficult to have the sand stay on top.
To me the aragonite looks like sand and coral mixed together - sort of the best of both worlds.
I don't have a guess as to which would be easiest to keep clean. Hopefully Cliff can help with that question.

RedLemon
11-13-2014, 12:45 AM
After doing some more research, I've decided to go with aragonite on it's own and thanks for pointing out those things :)

showmebutterfly
11-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Sounds good! I'm excited to watch your build. :)