PDA

View Full Version : WadeWilson's Tank Journal

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Hi guys,

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum!

Seeing as I have so many things in my head that seem to pour out at any given moment in regards to my first tank set up I thought it'd be best to start a journal.

So far I've bought my tank the juwel rio 180, which I got preowned at a bargain price of £150 including the cabinet, sand substrate, heater, light and hood and the ehiem pick up, not sure which model but I just know it's the biggest pick up they make 2010 2012.

Being a juwel rio it has the black box to store the filter and heater in, debating trying to take it out using a knife as it's got all sorts of dirt caught between it and the side and back of the tank...
But if I do this and succeed how could I remove the glue/silicon left on the glass safely?

I did originally agree with the previous owners they were going to remove all the livestock they had in the tank and return to the store. I found a few snails in the first day which I kind of expected keeping the sand used previous.
After a couple of days of the tank being filled, with untreated water I must add, a crayfish appeared..

So now I'm planning on a complete substrate change to the black limpop sand(if anybody has any recommendations for any jet black sand as the limpop isn't exactly what I was looking for but needs to be Cory and pleco safe:) ) , doing so as to get rid of any more crayfish popping out on me and also the snails as more and more keep appearing lol.

Im going to get a black background and use fake plants to get the colours that we agree on as a family, it is a family Christmas present, mainly for myself and my daughter but the other half has backed it all the way for us so she does have some say I guess haha..

If I do successfully remove the filter/heater box I plan to change to an external 350 l/h filter as to have sufficient filtering for my full stock list. If unsuccessful I will just buy an extra internal filter to add to the current...

Im out of funds for two weeks so I haven't yet got a master test kit, aqua safe, ammonia. But I have done my research and I'm planning a fishless cycle before fully stocking the tank as much as financially possible in one go.
I've also checked my water quality via the local water company website and have come to terms with my hard water.

My plan for stock is 12 guppy, 12 platy (maybe 24 guppy depending on the colours we can hold of at the time) 6 Cory julii which I'm aware will more than likely be a false julii due to rarity of the julii, and one flash pleco.

I still need to buy some bogwood but will buy that soon as I find a suitable piece for our tank..

I also plan to buy an air/light strip for the tank which I will buy an ehiem air pump to work with.

Im pretty well planned out in all honesty but as I have time to um and ar about it that's what I keep doing lol

For those who haven't seen, this is the tank I've purchased. The ornaments came with the tank and aren't in the final places the tank just needed to be filled to be safe to be in the living room. My little girl loves the tank and it's easier for my mind to know if she taps the glass the tank isn't going to fly off!

Will keep you all posted!

RiversGirl
11-08-2014, 02:32 AM
I'm delighted to see you've started a journal!

Seeing as I have so many things in my head that seem to pour out at any given moment in regards to my first tank set up I thought it'd be best to start a journal.

And that is as good of a reason as there ever was to start one.

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 02:34 AM
Heh thanks, best not to start hundreds of threads with one question after another, hey!

RiversGirl
11-08-2014, 03:11 AM
Heh thanks, best not to start hundreds of threads with one question after another, hey!

haha. True, that. However, hundreds of questions fit nicely into a journal thread. *grins*

I have found the members here knowledgeable, helpful and very willing to share their experience and give advice.
Besides being very friendly, as well. Enjoy!
Good night to all.

Baxter
11-08-2014, 03:59 AM
Congrats on the tank and the family project. It's amazing how many times the supportive folks on the "sidelines" develop strong opinions once the trips to the pet store start, LOL. I see at least two tanks in your future. :ssmile:

SueD
11-08-2014, 05:51 AM
While I can understand wanting a "fully stocked" tank all at once, consider also that as you start to look around, you
will see so many options available. So perhaps consider a less than full stocking in the beginning to leave some
room for those fish you find later and just have to have and wish you had thought of in the beginning. Or else, start
looking for where that 2nd tank is going to go!

steeler58
11-08-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm delighted to see you've started a journal!

And that is as good of a reason as there ever was to start one.

Just remember there's alot of thread jackers around here :shhh:

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Our next tank has already been agreed, but it has to be turtles lol.
We did have two Cumberland slider turtles until just after our daughter was born, unfortunately due to an idiotic house layout it made trying to maintain the tank a complete nightmare. So when we move house in the next year or two the next tank we are going back to turtles, not sure which kind yet but I'm going all out with the proper turtle tank set ups they have. *grin*

SueD - I did think this but after doing the research I have I am 100% happy with the stock I am going to go with for the tank, and due to my water quality I don't have many other options for a peaceful communal tank.

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Removed the black box for the filter and heater now, released loads of dirt etc. Now to find me a silent external filter capable of upto 350 l/h :)

Slaphppy7
11-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Oh, I thought the filter was going to be a PITA to remove?....glad you got it done, that'll make cleaning that corner much easier

Over here, the AquaClear HOB filter are very popular, as are a few others...I'm not sure what brands ara available to you in the UK (?)

Compass
11-08-2014, 04:11 PM
yay for the new journal! I know you are 100% locked in on this stock, I've been 100% locked in on stock lots of times. HAHAHA You'll be surprised how quickly that can change. You'll have the perfect stock list and then run into some random fish you knew nothing about. Then you become obsessed. Just my two cents. I'd start out with the guppies, see how the tank does with those, then start getting your other fish. This is good practice anyway. When starting a new tank, there are so many variables that can just throw the whole thing off. Getting a less than full stock can save you a lot of trouble if a problem does arise. Those cories are great little fish and my personal favorite. Those certainly need to go in last. Get the guppies, then the platies and let the tank mature for about a month, then put the cories in. The pleco could go in before them though. Also, make sure you get ALL male guppies and platies. Or you'll end up like Slaphppy7. One mental break away from being in a straight jacket.

Slaphppy7
11-08-2014, 04:27 PM
^^ Good advice. Here's a vid of my current 10 gallon. We bought 2 female platys from the LFS, not wanting fry. Found out later that at least one of them was pregnant, that they can stay pregnant for MONTHS...and that they breed like rabbits.
I would estimate that we've donated close to 100 fry already; it is time to donate more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXIr71MqMjQ

Compass
11-08-2014, 04:38 PM
lulz. Every time he thinks he's got the breeding done with, another platy gets fat. :D You want some of his? He'll find a way to ship them to England for yah.

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 05:12 PM
I heard that to keep a happy bunch of guppy that the ratio should be 1 male 2 female.. Im not fussed about the fry and giving them away when it becomes over crowded, just want happy fish :)

I was going to leave the corys a while and the pleco but get the guppy and platy in one go otherwise I'm just going to kill off most of the bacteria I've got growing in the tank from the fishless cycle?

Slaphppy7
11-08-2014, 05:21 PM
I have 2 male guppies, they are happy and healthy with no females...you may have seen them in the vid.

If I were you, I'd start with a handful of MALE platys...platys put out ALOT of bioload, plenty to keep your BB (beneficial bacteria) fed until you can add more fish.

You gotta be patient in this hobby; you'll realize that soon enough.

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 05:28 PM
In all honesty I'd prefer all male guppy as they are the more colourful and vibrant than the females, would 12 male guppy and 12 male platy all get along fine?

Not sure if you are familiar with AqAdvisor but that's where I got my ratio from..
Financially I'd probably be able to get all the guppy or all the platy in one go then a month or so later the other..

SueD
11-08-2014, 05:45 PM
I've had lots of male guppies together with no behavior issues. I started with one male and one female. Had to start a 2nd tank just to try to keep the males and females separated. This was a lot of work, and not really successful. My all male tank was wonderful, though.

It get real old real fast when guppies are breeding. I still have a bunch in a 10 gal still breeding, but their numbers stay low, either due to aging or perhaps my pleco is snacking. The all male tank I once had ended up crashing due to overstocking and I lost most of them. The others in that tank, finally aged out.

So yes, I would advise all males. Mine were all from one pair so were all colored similarly, although not identially. This actually made for a great tank. But some people look for variety in colors and with guppies and there are so many beautiful options out there.

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Brilliant thank you Sue that's the new plan then all male guppy, I'll probably get a pair of each kind that I go for :)

Cory are alot more particular about the water when they breed aren't they so mix of Cory should be fine?

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Also sorry to repeat but does anybody know any good black Sands suitable for Cory and pleco? Id prefer a jet black look if possible :)

Slaphppy7
11-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Good advice from Sue...it was mentioned to get corys last, because you want your tank established with a bit of algae and stable water.

Anything "bad" in the water column will settle to the bottom, where the corys mainly stay.

Corys are a social fish, they do best with their own kind (of cory)....get at least 6 of the same kind...if you were to mix them, you'd want 6 of each kind

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Brilliant, means my finances actually do me a favour then for once lol.

Ive wrote about the Cory in the wrong way, I was referring to the sex of Cory not the kind of Cory *handoverface*

Would 12 Cory, 12 guppy, 12 platy and a flash pleco be too much for a tank of my size? It's 101cm by about 30cm and about 40cm high.
Going for a 350 litre per hour filter. Sorry if you guys know it in gallons I'm clueless to them lol.

Compass
11-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Also sorry to repeat but does anybody know any good black Sands suitable for Cory and pleco? Id prefer a jet black look if possible :)

Yes it is suitable.

Compass
11-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Brilliant thank you Sue that's the new plan then all male guppy, I'll probably get a pair of each kind that I go for :)

Cory are alot more particular about the water when they breed aren't they so mix of Cory should be fine?

Yes you don't need to worry about your cories breeding into oblivion. LOL

Slaphppy7
11-08-2014, 07:19 PM

Ive wrote about the Cory in the wrong way, I was referring to the sex of Cory not the kind of Cory *handoverface*

Would 12 Cory, 12 guppy, 12 platy and a flash pleco be too much for a tank of my size? It's 101cm by about 30cm and about 40cm high.
Going for a 350 litre per hour filter. Sorry if you guys know it in gallons I'm clueless to them lol.

LOL, no problem

That's about a 47 gallon tank...with proper filtration, you could certainly (eventually) have all of the above fish...you could even have 2 different kinds of cory, 6 each

That's what I have in my 40 gallon

steeler58
11-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Your plan would work fine :thumbup:

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Woop.. So two groups of cory, come on guys my water is hard pH is 7.5 temp 25c again sorry I'm not sure of it in f.. Which other Cory would compliment the julii Cory and flash pleco on a black sand substrate? Panda maybe?

Slaphppy7
11-08-2014, 09:39 PM
That's 77F...perfect for alot of corys

I just got C. metae, the "bandit cory", to go with my C. Sterbai, and really like them...not shy like the sterbai, always out in the open, and always climbing the DW and plants, grazing on whatever they can find

steeler58
11-08-2014, 10:29 PM
I always liked C. paleatus, the Peppered cory ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tPOvOije4vQ

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Yes it is suitable.
I know that part lol my bad wording again I think. I was looking for good black Sands to look at :)

WadeWilson
11-08-2014, 11:02 PM
I always liked C. paleatus, the Peppered cory ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tPOvOije4vQ
This video is wicked, that's definitely going into the maybe list!

steeler58
11-08-2014, 11:23 PM
There's so many Cory's to suggest but this one in usualy available, hardy and inexpensive :)

RiversGirl
11-09-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm excited for you Wade. Glad you are getting your stocking plan sussed out.

steeler58
11-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Wade Wilson was also an American football QB ;-)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWade_Wi lson_(American_football)&ei=hLNeVLmMGsrSoASg5IDQDQ&usg=AFQjCNFsPUawuUf2C061sn5iy_OsaGYTLA&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cGU

SueD
11-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Take a look at this for black sand:

http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-508600/?utm_source=bizrate&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=11442-516392&utm_campaign=PPC

WadeWilson
11-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Looks very nice sue but it is a tad expensive, I'd need at least two bags of that size to fill my tank I believe lol

afro123
11-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Wade Wilson was also an American football QB ;-)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWade_Wi lson_(American_football)&ei=hLNeVLmMGsrSoASg5IDQDQ&usg=AFQjCNFsPUawuUf2C061sn5iy_OsaGYTLA&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cGU

I think he loves deadpool......dont you wade?

WadeWilson
11-09-2014, 11:23 AM
I can't love myself afro :p aha

SueD
11-09-2014, 08:08 PM
PetCo has their own brand that's a little cheaper

http://www.petco.com/product/115883/Petco-Black-Aquarium-Sand.aspx

For really cheap sand, you can get pool filter sand but it's not black.

WadeWilson
11-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I'm UK based so petco isn't going to work out for me either, thank you for trying though sue

WadeWilson
11-10-2014, 03:05 PM
Going to settle for the limpopo :)

Slaphppy7
11-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Were you able to get the corner of the tank clean, where the filter was?....

Compass
11-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Going to settle for the limpopo :)

The Great Green Greasy one? lol

WadeWilson
11-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Were you able to get the corner of the tank clean, where the filter was?....
I was able to get the big box that held the filter out of the tank, just need to empty it and get the silicone off of the glass but that can wait until the substrate arrives :)

WadeWilson
11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
It's one of the few I can get hold of in the UK and I've spoken to several Cory owners who use it with no issues. Not the jet black I wanted no but I'd rather have a safe environment for my fish than it to please my tastes.

Slaphppy7
11-10-2014, 03:32 PM

I don't even know what this means...

WadeWilson
11-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Hes referring to it not being black at all really lol its a natural looking substrate, couple of owners I spoke to didn't even clean it just popped it straight in the tank with no problems lol

Compass
11-10-2014, 03:39 PM
I don't even know what this means...

LOL The Great Green Greasy Slimy Limpopo River. It's where the elephant got its trunk. Read your Kipling!

Slaphppy7
11-10-2014, 03:46 PM
I'll take your word for it.

WadeWilson
11-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Lol the jungle book? I've only ever watched the Disney cartoon haha

Slaphppy7
11-10-2014, 05:06 PM
I've only ever watched the Disney cartoon haha

Me too...when I was 6 or 7 years old.

WadeWilson
11-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Me too...when I was 6 or 7 years old.
Snap, they should do a dark Twisted remake like they did of Alice in wonderland lol. Sheer kahn being a blood thirsty cannibal and baloo the bear being some vin diesel/Dwyane Johnson type of guy aha..
Anyways yes limpopo it is, I believe there should be a photo back in the thread since removing the black filter box :)

Compass
11-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Lol the jungle book? I've only ever watched the Disney cartoon haha

LOL No no no. Same author different story. The Jungle Book was one book plus a series of poems and shorts. But then he wrote a series of short stories called the Just So Stories, totally different. He also wrote Rikki-Tikki-Tavi and Captains Courageous. Among other great stories.

WadeWilson
11-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Fair enough, I'm not a big reader. Unless it's a comic book or two ;)

Compass
11-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Fair enough, I'm not a big reader. Unless it's a comic book or two ;)

Huh... never would have guessed. :hmm3grin2orange:

WadeWilson
11-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Huh... never would have guessed. :hmm3grin2orange:
Haha, I guess if I found a book that I could get myself into I'd read. The last book I read was 'Urban Grimshaw and the shed crew' believe it's Bernard hare the author, Brilliant book based on life in Yorkshire during the industrial shutdown.
I do waffle off topic alot don't I aha

Slaphppy7
11-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Pfffft, that's nothing...you ought to read my journal...maybe 10% of it is about fish, lol

steeler58
11-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Haha, I guess if I found a book that I could get myself into I'd read. The last book I read was 'Urban Grimshaw and the shed crew' believe it's Bernard hare the author, Brilliant book based on life in Yorkshire during the industrial shutdown.

Nobody here ever gets off subject, ever, LOL!

wgoldfarb
11-11-2014, 12:56 AM
Topic? We have a topic?

Slaphppy7
11-11-2014, 12:58 AM
Topic? We have a topic?

We have several...

wgoldfarb
11-11-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm glad to hear that. We need an official topic fast, because these people keep talking about fish.

WadeWilson
11-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Ahh was up most of the night feeling a bit poorly so was looking into the sand again.. Anybody used caribsea tropical black sand at all?

Compass
11-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Not personally but I've heard good things from others. It also goes by the name Tahitian Moon Sand if I'm not mistaken. Alternatively if you want to do some planting in your tank you could go with black flourite sand. A bit expensive but it should do the trick.

WadeWilson
11-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Oh I thought this was different lol no worries I'm trying to establish what sand it is by emailing the company but no reply as of yet

WadeWilson
11-16-2014, 10:01 PM
New stocking plan

12 guppy 4 male 8 female
10 black widow tetra
2 dwarf gourami
6 false julii cory
6 albino or bandit cory

Ordering test kit etc Thursday, almost time to get this tank started :)

steeler58
11-16-2014, 10:54 PM
I'd like to try and talk you out of the Black skirts if I can; they get bigger than people think and as they get older they lose their "snappy black" coloring, turning grey. They also can be fin-nippers even when kept in a big school like you are going to do.

Something brighter and more peaceful that I would suggest; would be the Rosy tetra. Much more peaceful, always active and as I already said, more colorful :) Get 10 of these and you will be happier, IMO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TqJuwSTOpiI

WadeWilson
11-16-2014, 11:03 PM
The main reason I chose black widow tetra were to control the fry population from the guppy.. Not for their looks although I think they are nice looking fish... The rosy tetra do look nicer admittedly but would they eat the fry as notoriously as the black widow?

steeler58
11-16-2014, 11:46 PM
The main reason I chose black widow tetra were to control the fry population from the guppy.. Not for their looks although I think they are nice looking fish... The rosy tetra do look nicer admittedly but would they eat the fry as notoriously as the black widow?

Yes, they enjoy a good live food feeding very much ;-)

WadeWilson
11-17-2014, 02:57 AM
Any other suggestions to replace black widow/skirt tetra that would eat most guppy fry... I'll be using fake plants so they'll have less cover than most I presume

steeler58
11-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Columbians and Diamond come to mind.

afro123
11-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Any other suggestions to replace black widow/skirt tetra that would eat most guppy fry... I'll be using fake plants so they'll have less cover than most I presume

Pretty much anyfish that can fit fry in their mouth would do ;)

WadeWilson
11-23-2014, 08:17 PM
I went with limpopo in the end, here's the tank just finished changing sand over. Start the fishless cycle this week

WadeWilson
11-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Well first test on the water today, not added any ammonia but I have around 1ppm ammonia, 2-5ppm nitrite and 10-20ppm nitrates

WadeWilson
11-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Nitrites rising, nitrates rising, ammonia slightly dropped... A plus of preowned tanks and equipment I'm guessing :)

Slaphppy7
11-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Good deal on the cycle!

WadeWilson
12-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Oh yes, ammonia dropped again today :) haven't checked anything else today can't be bothered lol will check nitrites again tomorrow :)

WadeWilson
12-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Ammonia went down to pretty much 0 so I topped up to about 1ppm

Slaphppy7
12-03-2014, 01:31 AM
May be just me, but the solutions look very foamy (?)

WadeWilson
12-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Wouldn't you be a bit foamy if you'd be shaken to bits lol

afro123
12-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Wouldn't you be a bit foamy if you'd be shaken to bits lol

Nope,just dead XD

WadeWilson
12-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Hahaha.. I do shake them like crazy and then shake again after the 5 minutes just to make sure lol must of taken the picture just after the shake

WadeWilson
12-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Ammonia down to 0 again today so topped back up and tested nitrites reading at 10+ppm..the wait for the drop now

Slaphppy7
12-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Patience is key....my ammonia just started hitting 0 Sunday, so I'm waiting on trItes to drop, too

Could take a few weeks, hang in there

fishmommie
12-03-2014, 10:13 PM
just found this journal. Always fun to see a new one. Good luck on your fishless cycle. Shouldn't be long now.

WadeWilson
12-04-2014, 01:56 AM
Yes it's all gone very quick so far so it's taken alot of the waiting out of the process luckily :)

Just need to buy the plants now ready to pop in at the end of the cycle when doing the big water change and I'm all set :D

afro123
12-04-2014, 09:20 AM
I can just imagine deadpool taking care of a fish tank.

WadeWilson
12-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Still no movement on nitrites yet, debating getting some of the pure aquarium balls to try boost the bacteria?

Slaphppy7
12-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Adding things you don't need can mess up a cycle quickly...stay the course, the trites will drop...it takes time

WadeWilson
12-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Well I believe I'm almost there.

Compass
12-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Looking good! I'd say you are cycled. What are your nitrate readings? Probably through the roof. lol

WadeWilson
12-17-2014, 01:31 AM
Will check them tomorrow, well today now technically lol...

Pay day Thursday so good timing.. Downloaded my local stores latest stock list.. Gourami or guppy hmm lol

afro123
12-17-2014, 11:09 AM
one word..........Both :)

WadeWilson
12-17-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm debating 3 guppy 3 gourami and 3 Cory lol

afro123
12-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Because your cycle is not yet over I would wait.
As for your stocking I would add the guppys first wait a week add the gouramis(how big is your tank?) and then a month later add the corys

WadeWilson
12-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Yeah I'm going for guppy tomorrow, the tank is 180 litre :)

WadeWilson
12-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Got 5 guppy today and a Amazon Sword :) it has begun

Slaphppy7
12-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Congrats!

Did you check your trAte readings before adding the fish?

All male guppies?

afro123
12-18-2014, 03:38 PM
congrats :)
if you got females you are in for one heck of a ride :)

WadeWilson
12-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Nitrates are 0-5ppm just off of 0 before adding fish. All 5 guppy are male :)

Caught everybody having a power nap near our plant lol

Slaphppy7
12-19-2014, 12:43 AM
LOL...guppies don't nap...none that I've had experience with

Are they staying near the substrate all of the time?

They do have some nice coloring

WadeWilson
12-19-2014, 01:07 AM
No only when the lights are off, soon after I turned them on they all burst to life and are impossible to picture lol

WadeWilson
12-19-2014, 01:14 AM
I think they like the sand, where it's all unlevel they like to dip behind and quickly pop back up lol fascinating

RiversGirl
12-19-2014, 01:28 AM
You've picked out some pretty guppies.

afro123
12-19-2014, 05:37 AM
They look pretty.

WadeWilson
12-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys :)

WadeWilson
12-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Updated pic, new plants added today :)

Slaphppy7
12-21-2014, 06:15 PM
looking good!

afro123
12-21-2014, 06:16 PM
Looking good ;)
Which corys are you looking at?

WadeWilson
12-21-2014, 06:54 PM
I really want reticulated Cory but asking in store today they haven't had them for a while but I'm on the to call list when they are next available.
Im really not sure which Cory I want to go for now though

Slaphppy7
12-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Get some Bandit corys, C. metae....I really like mine, they're very active

fishmommie just got some spotted corys, she's loving them, too

WadeWilson
12-21-2014, 09:12 PM
The family favourite [emoji7]

afro123
12-22-2014, 12:53 PM
A cobra guppy right?

WadeWilson
12-22-2014, 01:28 PM
I thought they were called snakeskin? Lol

afro123
12-22-2014, 04:25 PM
a cobra is a snake hence we both are right XD

WadeWilson
12-22-2014, 06:23 PM
Lmao oh my hahaha talk about stupid! Yes thanks for clearing that one up *grin*

WadeWilson
12-24-2014, 01:28 AM
Dabbling the idea of going to get my bogwood and maybe some Bolivian ram today *grin*

Slaphppy7
12-24-2014, 01:35 AM
Is the bogwood already soaked, and free of any nasties?...if not, it's gonna take a while to soak...unless you anchor it

I wouldn't get BR's until this tank is much more mature than it is now

afro123
12-24-2014, 09:45 AM
+1 wait a month or 2 until you add the BR

WadeWilson
12-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Oh do I have to :( lol

The bogwood is presoaked and preplanted so will just be able to pop it in the tank :)

Slaphppy7
12-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Oh do I have to :( lol

They'd have a better chance of making it if you did.

Boundava
12-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Wow, I just say this joural too. Nice job on cycling and your tank. Love the cobra/snakeskin (whatever) guppy-he is so pretty.

WadeWilson
12-24-2014, 09:35 PM
They'd have a better chance of making it if you did.
Advice taken and I bought gourami today :)

WadeWilson
12-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Few updated pics :)

Won't let me attach more than one per post

WadeWilson
12-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Picture two

WadeWilson
12-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Picture three, will post some more once they are settled down. One of the rainbow dwarf gourami is very dull, almost pale yellowish hoping she will colour up again.

Slaphppy7
12-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Few updated pics :)

Won't let me attach more than one per post

That's because they are so large..try resizing them before posting .tank looks good, congrats on the gourami!

Here's some good info, pay close attention to "behaviour and compatibility" and the "notes" sections: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-lalius/

WadeWilson
12-25-2014, 12:01 AM
Thanks, I'm on my phone so not sure if I can do that?

After reading I'm concerned I may have two males rather than two females. The guy in store said the two smaller ones were female, they are both similarly sized just one has the silvery duller look but the other looks like the bigger male... Will try get some group pictures of the three when possible, will be back in on the 27th to swap him if she's a he! Don't have any way to separate them if she is a he though :/ and now thinking of it the more colourful smaller one and the bigger male were having a little lip locking earlier, stopped after a minute or so and the smaller one tends to stay away from the others face.. Oh dear, worry for the next two days :( hey its midnight over here.. Merry Christmas everyone

Slaphppy7
12-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Merry Christmas to you, too

afro123
12-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Hope things work put :)
Merry Christmas :)

WadeWilson
12-25-2014, 05:16 PM
Everyone seems alot more settled down now, will try to get the picture of all 3 gourami later. Now I'm thinking that one is just generally duller in colour but I have two females.

Hope everybody had a good day today :)

Slaphppy7
12-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Hope you had a great one too, and hoping ypu do indeed have 2F/1M...glad to hear they've settled down

They'll color up even more once they get used to their new home

WadeWilson
12-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Added 6 trili Cory today :) all water in perams been stable since day one. Will upload some new pics with my shiny new galaxy s5 in the next day or two :)

WadeWilson
01-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Couple snaps of my Cory :)

fishmommie
01-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Nice! .........

Slaphppy7
01-01-2015, 08:58 PM
They look great!...nice coloring

WadeWilson
01-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys :)

showmebutterfly
01-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Great looking cories and good pics!

WadeWilson
01-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Would people say this is a male dwarf gourami, I'm pretty screwed if so :(

fishmommie
01-02-2015, 02:35 PM
yep. That's a dwarf male gourami. Sorry - I don't remember all of your stock but why do you think you have a problem?

WadeWilson
01-02-2015, 03:15 PM
2 males one female dwarf gourami, 6 trilineatus Cory and 10 guppy.. It's the two males one female I'm worried about

Boundava
01-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the dwarves at LFS are usually males only, and it does look like a male. You can try other online breeders or TWS for females, but they aren't as pretty so don't usually sell which is why the LFS don't get them. At least that's what they told me every time I wanted to buy a pair (male/female) of them.

WadeWilson
01-02-2015, 04:15 PM
I have one that definitely is a female and I see the point, been told I can return and exchange so possibly go for honeys for the easier sexing lol

Slaphppy7
01-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Yeah, if you have 2m/1f, there's going to be issues...return and exchange sounds good

afro123
01-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Agreed....
Cute cories though :)

WadeWilson
01-02-2015, 05:23 PM
I'm quite gutted really became attached to the gourami, the first fish that I really wanted personally lol. Off to the shop tomorrow to exchange.

My Cory are amazing, playing chase with their reflections up the side of the tank lol

steeler58
01-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Nice choice of Cory there Wade, they have always been one of my favorites :)

WadeWilson
01-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Thanks steeler..

Now let's cause a debate, least aggressive gourami?

steeler58
01-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks steeler..

Now let's cause a debate, least aggressive gourami?

Pearl and Honey.

afro123
01-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Honey is the least aggressive followed by pearl.

WadeWilson
01-02-2015, 06:35 PM
They didn't have pure honeys in last time :( fingers crossed

fishmommie
01-02-2015, 07:01 PM
When I started my first tank I was completely ignorant. I let a fish store talk me into taking home 3 dwarf gouramis and 3 platy. No problem with the platy. But more than one male dwarf gourami in a tank is a recipe for disaster. Sorry. One will become dominant and start picking until it does some pretty good damage and could even kill the other. then it will start on the 3rd. Sorry.
And like everyone else, I'm betting you have 3 males. Very rare to find a female dwarf gourami in a store.

Good luck. Feel better be knowing you're doing what's best for the gourami - but i know, you do get attached to them

WadeWilson
01-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Yes I'm aware of this which is why I'll be returning them tomorrow. The store I use is usually pretty good and completely understood, just can't get there until tomorrow.

Any alternative ideas to gourami, I have 10 guppy and 6 trilineatus Cory in there at the moment with the 3 gourami. Planning on adding a pair of bolivan ram in a month or two also

WadeWilson
01-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Oh my, don't take that as me being offended or offensive just looked back and oh dear I'm sorty

Boundava
01-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Honeys, I have 10 in my 75 gallon tank. Have had them for 2 weeks now and they are mostly females, but the 3 or 4 males I do have did nothing more than "kiss", and yesterday I saw them next to each other trying to intimidate each other with their dazzling good looks. Out comes the whiskers...touch...touch... all is well and they swim away. So darn cute. I have had gourami's before, the blue dwarf, neon blues and powdered blues-but never more than one at a time. I tried for 1 male and 2 female pearls-but bad stock at the store I went to, they died within a week of purchase-the male lasting the longest. So glad I rescued the 4 honey from Petco, then added 6 more from TWS. So healthy and active

WadeWilson
01-03-2015, 12:00 AM
Just found out my Lfs don't stock pure honey, only the red Robin and the golden honey.. Hmm any alternatives?

WadeWilson
01-03-2015, 06:48 PM
3 golden honeys in today they have all settled very well very quickly will take some pictures later on if I can, shouldn't be hard though they are all out at the front already :)

afro123
01-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Please do :)

WadeWilson
01-04-2015, 02:13 AM
And here's my three new additions.
The two girls up the top and the male at the bottom :)

Slaphppy7
01-04-2015, 02:23 AM
Very nice...how do you sex them?

I can't tell the difference between the m/f, but my eyesight isn't what it used to be, lol

WadeWilson
01-04-2015, 02:57 AM
The females have a dark line down the middle of the body, so I've read anyway lol

Slaphppy7
01-04-2015, 04:01 AM
I see that now, thanks

afro123
01-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Beautiful fish :)

WadeWilson
01-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys, I have a free house and free afternoon. Only one thing to do, grab my pile of unread comic books and sit in front of the fish tank :D

DoubleDutch
01-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Hey Wade again hahaha. Nice patterned Trilis btw !

WadeWilson
01-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Haha hello Mr Dutch, why thank you :D

steeler58
01-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys, I have a free house and free afternoon. Only one thing to do, grab my pile of unread comic books and sit in front of the fish tank :D

Which ones do you read?

WadeWilson
01-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Deadpool and all the mini series, the amazing spider-man, shutter, outcast, red city, the wolverine spin offs after his death :(, batman eternal, wolverine and the x-men which is now soider-man and the x-men and rocket raccoon.

Bit back logged at the minute lol

This is just my unread pile aha

steeler58
01-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Looks like you need tp get caught up as you said enjoy, I read Comics till 2003 and finaly gave them up.

WadeWilson
01-04-2015, 08:58 PM
I've just started again after a 9 year gap, pissed because I started to collect wolverine again but it was the last volume now he's dead...

Again I used my daughter as an excuse, she can sell them on when she's older for uni haha

steeler58
01-04-2015, 09:27 PM
How long do you think they will let him be dead?

WadeWilson
01-04-2015, 11:44 PM
Well they are milking it, 4 issue mini series for the death of wolverine, there's a one shot death of wolverine; deadpool and captain America, 7 part death of wolverine logans legacy, now they are starting wolverines which features x23 and daken lol. He lost his regen powers nearly 2 years ago now so who knows

WadeWilson
01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Feeding time :)

Slaphppy7
01-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Nice colors on the guppies

WadeWilson
01-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks :) kind of wish we went for less guppies now and maybe a combo of cichlids and gourami lol oh well tank number two in the pipeline haha

Slaphppy7
01-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Oh yeah, you can't stop with just one tank...

WadeWilson
01-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Oh no lol, not allowed it until we move house though.. But at least I know when we are looking at houses to make sure there's plenty of room for another big one

Slaphppy7
01-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Good deal....yeah, the one you have now, just consider as a "practice" tank, lol

WadeWilson
01-08-2015, 01:49 AM
Trying to talk the other half into a small tank for our daughters bedroom, I could keep mts breeding in there and take some out to feed the assassin in the main tank, with a few little somethings or a betta.. Shrimp as well perhaps lol

WadeWilson
01-08-2015, 01:50 AM
Wait the feeding part would surely be illegal in the UK like feeding live food

Compass
01-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Would snails really fall under that law????

WadeWilson
01-08-2015, 02:00 AM
Not too sure if I'm honest, hope not, the assassins don't really eat much else do they either so not doing so is starving them?

Slaphppy7
01-08-2015, 02:21 AM
They'll find stuff to eat after all the pest snails are gone...they don't need live prey to survive

They PREFER it, maybe, but don't need it

I have not had live food for mine in months...and I've gone from 11 to at least 50...they'll graze on algae, sinking foods, etc...like pretty much any other snail

WadeWilson
01-08-2015, 02:24 AM
I only bought the one as I only had one real sized snail for him to eat and he was caught on the third day lol, may buy a few more now though

Slaphppy7
01-08-2015, 02:41 AM
They're neat little snails of their own....

WadeWilson
01-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Pea feeding frenzy

WadeWilson
01-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Can anybody ID this snail, I only have one assassin snail so doubt it's a baby one of those, mts or other?

DoubleDutch
01-11-2015, 02:25 PM
This i not an assassin Wade, but what it is is hard to say based on this pic. Assassins already have the same pattern as their parents (an already fertised female could lay eggs though alone : it did in my tanks).

WadeWilson
01-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Mr assassin don't even care for him think he's too small or my assassin has something he's tucking into just under the sand lol
Ah I do love quiet Sunday afternoons where I can just sit and stare into my tank :)

WadeWilson
01-14-2015, 01:43 AM
Really not sure what to do anymore, lost all faith in my Lfs. Seems I have 3 male gourami, don't know what to do apart from re home 2 of them, not going to try swapping them AGAIN...

Wish I didn't have guppy now, would open up more options... Debating just packing it all in, it's really got me down :(

Boundava
01-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Are those honeys? Remind me what size your tank is...they should be fine because they aren't like the dwarf blues where they kill each other. So long as they have enough territory they should be good. I have 10 honey gouramis in my 75 and at least 3 possibly 4 ore males. they get along fine, when they spar they simply show off to each other by swimming parallel and then when mine where done flexing their muscles they simple touched "whiskers" and swam off. Don't give up!

Here are 4 of mine lounging around
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38452&d=1419988659
This is definitely a guy
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38454&d=1419990025

WadeWilson
01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Thank you for your kind words. They aren't true honey gourami but the golden honey gourami hybrid unfortunately, if they were true gourami I understand they would be OK together but the hybrids are supposed to be more aggressive.
The main bully has taken residence behind the bogwood and under the filter, either of the others goes near it and they are chased away.
Im using my phone at the moment so it won't let me go to the links grrr, can you mention me on the thread please see if that works? lol

WadeWilson
01-14-2015, 02:36 PM
Feeding time is becoming interesting to attempt. The gourami don't get a lot of the flake because of the guppy so they go for the pellets instead. The Cory and guppy all push these into one corner however, all 3 gourami been taking it in turns to chase one away to get some food

Boundava
01-14-2015, 03:32 PM
I drop food in two parts of the tank. That way my tetras and gourami's get an equal chance at eating, but my tank is 4 feet so that's easier. I will also pre soak the wafers and pellets in tank water or garlic guard so it is easier for them to eat right off the bat.

WadeWilson
01-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Doesn't matter where I drop the food it always ends up in the same corner lol :(

WadeWilson
01-14-2015, 05:21 PM
Now I'm trying to find a new home for two or maybe all 3 gourami, but I'm wanting something else to fill out my tank a bit more.

Im aware Bolivian ram should be OK with my guppy, not sure my water would support a blue German and not sure on their temperament..
Are their any other cichlids I could look at trying to keep?

My water pH is 7.5 and the hardness is 14gh

My tanks also planted and I'd kind of prefer it to stay that way lol

Boundava
01-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Sorry no experience with cichlids, but that is what I have heard about the blue German rams. Very fussy about water conditions. I was thinking of a pair for my tank a while ago. Had enough with fussy fish though.

WadeWilson
01-16-2015, 04:02 AM
Well two of my gourami were rehomed today, feel confident they have gone to a good home with a choice of 11 tanks!

After some thinking my to stock list now contains

A pair of bolivian ram, 6 bandit/panda Cory and an albino bristlenose.

So my final tank will be:

10 male guppy
6 Cory trilineatus
6 bandit/panda cory
1 golden honey gourami
2 Bolivian ram
1 albino bristlenose
1 assassin snail - these will be increasing soon due to a snail boom.

There's a tank local to me on eBay for £20 - around 28 us dollars give or take I believe. Juwel record 800 with stand, filter etc. With their current stock which I will of course be rehoming! It's stocked with 2 clown loach 1 angel and 1 red tail shark. Hope I win it just to rehome these guys, but this tank will be turned into a guppy tank, will re home 5 or so male and replace them with female and let the girlies watch their fish have babies :) Fingers crossed

WadeWilson
01-16-2015, 06:22 PM
One of my guppy just won't keep bloodworm in him, comes straight back out of him and the others try to eat it out of his bum ergh lol he doesn't show any other signs of illness though eats every day and swims around normal with the rest

Boundava
01-16-2015, 08:20 PM
weird...never seen that.

WadeWilson
01-17-2015, 03:10 AM
Seems fine again, maybe he just can't stomach the blood worm, like some people have certain food go through them? Who knows lol

Managed to get myself a rena filstar xp2 for £20 plus an ornament that came with the tank that I hated lol.. Debating a pair of bnp now to try breed them hmmm

WadeWilson
01-19-2015, 04:46 PM
Rescape. It's awful I know :( best I could manage though

Slaphppy7
01-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Looks good to me, once the plants grow in it will be really nice

showmebutterfly
01-19-2015, 05:05 PM
It looks good to me too!

fishmommie
01-19-2015, 05:11 PM
I give it a thumbs up too :o)

WadeWilson
01-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys, it's growing on me now.. I think it's where I've trimmed so much sorry looking leaves etc. Going to add some valis and a couple foreground plants over the next week or two. Also planning to push either a coconut cave or a pleco breeding cave Into the pile of sand on the right :)

WadeWilson
01-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Anybody any experience stocking Bolivian and German blue ram together?

WadeWilson
01-20-2015, 10:17 PM
New pic of one of my trilineatus

steeler58
01-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Nice picture of the trilineatus thumbs2:

WadeWilson
01-22-2015, 01:20 AM
Thanks steeler, this one's even better

cajunqn81
01-22-2015, 02:22 AM
...with liberty and corys for all! Looking good :fish:

WadeWilson
01-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Haha thanks :D

Going to a new store near me today and possibly going to get Bolivian ram and a bristlenose pleco.all depends on how I feel about the fish and the shop when I get there though. Excitement aha

WadeWilson
01-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Didn't get a thing, was terrible in there

Slaphppy7
01-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Good will power, lol...but I agree, if the place doesn't look or feel right, pass on it

WadeWilson
01-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Was my Mrs who pointed it out.. She hasn't a clue so that rings even bigger alarm bells

Slaphppy7
01-22-2015, 03:44 PM
It sure does, lol

WadeWilson
01-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Just had this email from the water zoo.
Would people with cichlid experience or knowledge agree with this email? Before I even look at what they look like lol

Well like you mentioned Apistogramma cacatoides should be ok as well as the German rams which come in Blue, Electric blue and Golden, although they are more sensitive we do keep ours in local hard water, another good choice would be Sheep head acara, Red breasted flag cichlid and Keyhole Cichlids.

Kind regards

Jamie

Not saying I don't believe him, would just like more opinions

WadeWilson
01-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Oh yes, update.

Ive swapped my planted bogwood for two pieces of mopani that I have now placed in the tank. Look alot nicer and am going to plant them up myself :)

The guy I swapped the wood with also has just had a batch of the super red German bristlenose plec and I now own one. When 'the flash' is old enough to be sexed I am going to add either another super red or an albino/gold of the opposite sex.

Tomorrow I think I'll be getting my Bolivian ram or maybe just one if I can't sex them..
Will add some pics of atleast the wood in a couple hours :)

Boundava
01-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Love it!!! Need to see some pics of The Flash ;-)

WadeWilson
01-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Will try my best in an hour or so :)

WadeWilson
01-24-2015, 01:44 AM
Meet the flash :D

WadeWilson
01-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Today i found what I believe is a male and female pair of bolivian ram, also added a few Twisted vallis and a new foreground plant

WadeWilson
01-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Ram a lam and ding dong [emoji38]

WadeWilson
01-25-2015, 04:24 PM
Today I felt the need for a change. Found a friend who wanted some more males to reduce the fry numbers in their tank so swapped 7 males for 3 females. I kept my cobra/snake skin guppy and the three females are all cobras.

They look pregnant already lol :)

Slaphppy7
01-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Always nice to have someone close by to share fish and fun with.

cajunqn81
01-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Always nice to have someone close by to share fish and fun with.

Why must you all be so far away...?

Slaphppy7
01-25-2015, 05:43 PM
I know, wouldn't it be cool for us all to be closer?...trade fish and shrimp and stuff

cajunqn81
01-25-2015, 05:58 PM
And too bad that I normally have to fly when I travel down that way. I somehow doubt TSA would approve of me carrying little travel baggies of fish onto the plane...

Slaphppy7
01-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Yeah, those may considered tools of terrorism, LOL

WadeWilson
01-25-2015, 09:42 PM
LOL! Yes I'm swapping my gourami for 6 albino Cory on Thursday, they have bred before in our local tap water too :D
Then going to buy a pair of opaline gourami and then I'd like some form of schooling fish. Not sure which yet, smaller the better so I can get about 10

cajunqn81
01-26-2015, 01:49 AM
Yeah, those may considered tools of terrorism, LOL

Yeah, I'll open the bag and they'll jump out and bite him...

My understanding was that the rule was supposed to prevent liquid explosives from coming through the checkpoint. I don't know about you, but I can't think of anything flammable/explosive that a fish could survive in.

Oh... Maybe the fish is explosive... :bouncyredfire:

(BTW, how is it we have an exploding smiley here, but not an exploding fish?)

Having made a trip about half that distance with fish in the floorboards, I'm not sure how happy I'd be to do it over twice that. Or how happy the fish would be... But if we drive down to the wedding in October instead of fly...

WadeWilson
01-26-2015, 01:02 PM
If you over feed the guppy they maybe classed as explosives lol

cajunqn81
01-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Don't. Even. Go. There.

All I could think of what you said that was my father's story about the time he was deployed, and one of the 'kids' on his ship got the oh-so-smart idea to feel the seagulls Alka Seltzer. As you can imagine, it didn't end well...

Boundava
01-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Meet the flash :D

He is very cute, has some big shoes to fill, and you got me interested in getting one after my albino BN "Ghost". Based on that head you may even have a "she", my female BN was wedge shaped and that one has a pretty broad head.

WadeWilson
01-26-2015, 02:21 PM
He is very cute, has some big shoes to fill, and you got me interested in getting one after my albino BN "Ghost". Based on that head you may even have a "she", my female BN was wedge shaped and that one has a pretty broad head.
Yes the breeder also said he thought it's female just waiting for the rest of the batch to be sexable to get me a male too :)

WadeWilson
01-28-2015, 01:56 AM
Bloodworm anyone?

Boundava
01-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Nice shot, cute BN. Bloodworms are delicious...at least for fish! :goldfish:

fishmommie
01-28-2015, 11:59 PM
really nice!

WadeWilson
01-29-2015, 12:16 AM
Thanks guys, had my coconut caves turn up today

Thinking of maybe planting up the one of the left with some anubias bonsai, will probably end up a different plant altogether but that's the plan lol

WadeWilson
02-04-2015, 10:06 PM
One of my female guppy has a fungus on her mouth :( It's only tiny white dot on upper lip but I don't think I'll be able to get any treatment in time to save her either.. Hopefully she can shake it off herself?

fishmommie
02-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Is there any way you can pull her out of the tank and into a hospital tank to treat her? If not, you might want to treat the entire tank
with a fungus medication and for certain do a lot of extra water changes as clean fresh water is the best medicine.

WadeWilson
02-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Trying to get to pick up a new tank tomorrow but looks doubtful, I don't have any money to get any meds at the minute. I first noticed it yesterday after I did my big water change. Will do 50% every other day until I can get some meds, fingers crossed I get the new tank. Been told it's more of a secondary infection so hopefully won't spread but all the guppy will be moving tanks when I do get it :)

fishmommie
02-04-2015, 11:48 PM
You could try adding a little aquarium salt (or sale without iodine) tonight and after each W/C as long as you don't have anything
in the tank that can't handle salt. 1 tablespoon per every 5 gallons. Dissolve it in a cup of tank water then add
it a little at a time over a couple of hours so as not to shock them.
How much you put in after a water change will be determined by how much water you take out.

WadeWilson
02-04-2015, 11:51 PM
Don't have any money though and as I've never had a problem or brackish fish I've never bought any :( just got to hope water changes and fingers crossed a tank move.

It's most likely because I'm evil and have 3 male 3 female guppy will be rehoming 2 of the males when I can and only moving the females and one male to the new tank

WadeWilson
02-05-2015, 12:39 AM
On a plus note a week Thursday I'm buying a 2000 l/h external filter so my tank will be crystal once that's going :)

WadeWilson
02-11-2015, 07:29 PM
Is it possible to keep some mbuna and afra in a 3 foot tank? My partner really pushing for a cichlid tank when we get our new 2 foot tank to move over our guppy and Cory. Im just not sure, I'll have an external filter before its transformed...

WadeWilson
02-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Changed my Bolivian rams for a pair of German blue on Wednesday and I've definitely a pair and have had first set of eggs tonight :)