PDA

View Full Version : How many Trick or Treaters did you get?

sheamurai
11-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I will start off by posting - 0. lol

No monsterlings came by my place last night.

SueD
11-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Maybe a dozen. They start about 6 pm with the little ones and others just trickle by during the 6-7 hour.

Rue
11-01-2014, 01:55 PM
0 here too!

But I was expecting that. Regardless...I had lots of treats ready, just in case of an unexpected invasion!

Rue
11-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Rather than start a new thread...I did have my Halloween fun yesterday though. I went to work dressed as the Grim Reaper...with a real scythe. I called Security ahead of time to let them know...just in case someone reported me...

What I learned: It is really hard to carry a scythe...a hot coffee...and not trip on your robes...while walking down the hallway with your hood falling in your eyes...

Slaphppy7
11-01-2014, 02:19 PM
We had 0, but I don'i encourage them, lol...porch lights off

Nowadays, where we live, parents bring their kids to churches, the mall, etc to trick or treat

sheamurai
11-01-2014, 02:19 PM
and we thought the Grim Reaper had an easy job...

Rue
11-01-2014, 02:31 PM
...maybe it gets easier with practice...

Slaphppy7
11-01-2014, 02:45 PM
From left: mother in law, Angie, Lauren, amd Lauren's friend Chelsea

The all dressed up as hamsters and rode around in a Kia

I don't get it

Rue
11-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Hahahaha!!!! I get it...hahahaha!

Slaphppy7
11-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks Rue, glad someone does....

Slaphppy7
11-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh, OK....can you tell that I don't watch much TV, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2xDiXhrLPc

wgoldfarb
11-01-2014, 03:06 PM
What I learned: It is really hard to carry a scythe...a hot coffee...and not trip on your robes...while walking down the hallway with your hood falling in your eyes...

So that is why the grim reaper doesn't drink coffee...

LOL... very funny.

We only got 6 trick or treaters. 2 small kids stopped by around 5, and the 4 more around 8, and that was it. When the second group stopped by I already knew we weren't going to get as many as ususal and I wanted to get rid of all the candy I had so those 4 kids got LOTS of candy. I think next year they will stop here first! LOL.

It's strange because usually we have dozens of kids. The neighborhood has little car traffic so it's very kid friendly, and by 6 or 7 pm there are usually tons of kids walking around in their costumes. I think there must have been a big party somewhere or something. Now I will have to eat all that candy by myself. The sacrifices one must make. :hmm3grin2orange:

mermaidwannabe
11-01-2014, 03:13 PM
I remember one Halloween when we were living in southern California. I had dressed up as an old hag in black boots, floor-length skirt, black sweater and a huge black fringed shawl which I wore around my head like a hood and draped over my shoulders and arms. I had gotten some theater make-up and painted my face green with a dark purple wart drawn on my cheek with an eyebrow pencil. Then I had this luminescent fake human skull we had gotten from a novelty shop, and an old broom.

I decided to go to our local bank to deposit some checks IN THAT COSTUME, holding the skull and my deposit slips, etc. in one hand and the broomstick in the other. I stood in line with everyone else, and guess what:

NOBODY SEEMED TO EVEN NOTICE! NOT EVEN THE TELLERS!

I figured, that's about par for southern California . . . Only down there would someone looking that freaky actually BLEND IN!

mermaidwannabe
11-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Oh, as as for trick-or-treaters, we got none. We haven't gotten any in all the time we've lived up here. Too far from town, and none of the neighbors' kids stay in the area. We still get candy, just in case. One never knows ...

wgoldfarb
11-01-2014, 03:22 PM
LOL... I spend half the day on halloween wearing the pirate costume in my avatar image (yep, that's me). It involves fake hair, fake teeth, some make up, not shaving for a few days, plus the clothing, hair beads, earrings, etc. I don't cover my face (other than the eye patch) but the fake teeth, hair and eye patch change my face so much that it takes people a minute or two to recognize me. And those teeth are ugly! Encrusted diamond and everything. I drive around (pick up my kids, etc) and walk around like that all afternoon. Some people do give me strange looks, but not many. I guess they enjoy seeing others get into the spirit, even if they don't do it themselves.

Rue
11-01-2014, 03:27 PM
...it's just a bit of fun...

when I went to get my coffee...I stopped to talk to a Knight, a Zombie and a Cow...

Drew's_Fish_99
11-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Around here, we've got malls, churches, Boo at the barn, Boo at the zoo, neighborhoods hold special events, and they do something downtown...
Need less to say, trick or treaters are spread very thin. We don't stay home, but my neighbor across the street said less then a dozen came to her door. I think parents like the public events better because they're safer. Most of these events you have security and parents are more comfortable at the zoo or at the mall than going to strangers doors. I never understood Halloween much anyway. Kids are told all year not to take candy from strangers and Halloween is like the day of exception. :shifty: I think I may analyze stuff too much......

Slaphppy7
11-01-2014, 03:38 PM
One year, when I was 12 or 13, my sisters proposed dressing me up as a girl....wig, skirt, makeup, the whole thing...I figured what the heck, it would be fun

Back then, trick or treating was a big deal, the whole neighborhood participated....and I can't tell you HOW many times I was asked "why didn't you wear a costume, young lady?"

I was an unhappy camper, to say the least....and, eyeliner hurts

mermaidwannabe
11-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Wonder if I might have gotten more attention in that bank if I'd had a note in my hand? . . .

When I was a kid, we lived out in the boonies. My folks would drive us into Chula Vista where our grandparents lived, park at their house, and take us trick-or-treating all over that neighborhood. When we were finished, we returned to the grandparents' house and sorted through all of our loot on their kitchen table, making sure everything was safe. Then we visited for the rest of the evening before taking our loot home.

It was actually more fun that way.

Rue
11-01-2014, 03:50 PM
I remember doing something similar when I was tiny. My Dad would take me to the relatives houses...and we'd visit...

I really didn't do much door-door trick or treating (even when I was old enough to)...I didn't like it. When I was 11 or 12 I stopped...dressed up...and stayed home to hand out candy. I liked that end of it much more...

Lady10Godiva
11-01-2014, 03:52 PM
We probably had about 25. It goes from 4-7 here and we were only home for the last 45 minutes of it.

steeler58
11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
We had 0, but I don'i encourage them, lol...porch lights off

Nowadays, where we live, parents bring their kids to churches, the mall, etc to trick or treat

Should have used the "Grinch" as your Halloween avatar :14:

discuspaul
11-01-2014, 06:33 PM
We must live in an area of Vancouver where trick or treating from house to house is still a popular thing to do.

My wife bought 80 treats, because we had had 62 door-bell ringers last year, and we had 70 this year, from 5:30 until about 9:00. Had to just take bites of dinner between answering the door.

After that there were fire-crackers constantly going off all up & down the block until approx. midnight. Couldn't sleep so read a book.

Slaphppy7
11-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Should have used the "Grinch" as your Halloween avatar :14:

Saving that one for Christmas....

RiversGirl
11-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Rather than start a new thread...I did have my Halloween fun yesterday though. I went to work dressed as the Grim Reaper...with a real scythe. I called Security ahead of time to let them know...just in case someone reported me...

Hilarious!! I carried my nephew's (plastic one) for quite some time while he juggled around his candy basket.

. Kids are told all year not to take candy from strangers and Halloween is like the day of exception. :shifty: I think I may analyze stuff too much......

This is true. However, my own kids know there are exceptions, such as when I am right there with them. They also know that just because someone gave them candy on a holiday, those folks are still considered strangers. I think you are not over-thinking, it is an oddity in our society. It is wonderful to recognize this exception (as there are so, so many exceptions in life) and be able to point them out to the children in our lives.

Back then, trick or treating was a big deal, the whole neighborhood participated....and I can't tell you HOW many times I was asked "why didn't you wear a costume, young lady?"

I was an unhappy camper, to say the least....and, eyeliner hurts

OH! my. gosh.!! I actually snorted I laughed so hard. Pics?? (or it didn't happen...) I double-dog-dare ya.

Slaphppy7
11-01-2014, 09:25 PM
OH! my. gosh.!! I actually snorted I laughed so hard. Pics?? (or it didn't happen...) I double-dog-dare ya.

I'm betting my mom has some pics...she's got thousands of them, so finding what I want may be a task, lol...next time we're digging through them, I'll look

RiversGirl
11-01-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm betting my mom has some pics...she's got thousands of them, so finding what I want may be a task, lol...next time we're digging through them, I'll look

Yes Please!!

This Halloween for us was the most wonderfully fun one, perhaps ever. Since it was not on a school night (why can't that be a thing?) I made plans with 2 of my siblings and took the kids to my sister and brother-in-law's house. Our brother, his wife and their youngest met us. The 3 of us adult sibs took the 7 cousins to a Trunk or Treat event where the oldest 2 nephews volunteered to run games and inflatable things for the younger kinds in attendance. After that event, we walked around their neighborhood with the hordes. It was the most beautiful weather -- absolutely ideal.

My sister's hub and our brother's wife stayed behind to sit in the driveway and pass out candy. The trick-or-treater foot traffic (we calculated # of pieces each bag said it contained x 4 bags purchased -- then they gave out 2 pieces to each child until they ran out of candy) was something close to 125 kids. Fun stuff!

Slaphppy7
11-02-2014, 12:36 AM
THAT sounds like a true Halloween celebration...glad you guys had fun, and everyone was safe.

RiversGirl
11-02-2014, 01:11 AM
*Grins* (bat) (Vampire) (pumpkin) (ghost)

It was, thank you. We have a thing for roasted pumpkin seeds, too. Yummy stuff.

A whole lot of folks put those little disk-shaped fire pits in their driveways and set up camp chairs around to visit while they passed out candy.

Drew's_Fish_99
11-02-2014, 03:01 AM
A whole lot of folks put those little disk-shaped fire pits in their driveways and set up camp chairs around to visit while they passed out candy.

That's the way to do it! That'll probably be us next year. My 2 sisters were the only ones to do it this year and they seem like their about ready to call it quits. Fire pit with some hot dogs and marshmallows, and we're set for hours!

wgoldfarb
11-02-2014, 01:13 PM
RG, sounds like everyone had lots of fun. 125 kids! Wow. We usually have a lot, but never that many. We also do have a neighborhood party every year which is always fun. There are some high school kids that do a really good haunted house in their driveway and garage, but I the party is nowhere near what you described!

Boundava
11-02-2014, 06:53 PM
From left: mother in law, Angie, Lauren, amd Lauren's friend Chelsea

I don't get it

That is so cute! love it...how smart of them.

Boundava
11-02-2014, 06:57 PM
We has a steady stream form 4 to 7. One to two at a time until I got 17 high school-ers at once! It was cold so we didn't get the usual 100-40, but we got at least 60 trick-er-treat-ers. Usually we just stand at the door from 4-7 and just dish out handfuls of candy. This time we had some time to sit down before the bell rang again.

Rue
11-03-2014, 02:01 PM
How much candy does everyone give? I realize it depends on how many kids come by...but I've lost tabs on the 'average' take.

When I knew 9-10 neighbourhood kids would do a drive-by...I'd make up little baggies of treats...but if you have 140 kids, that's not really an option...

Slaphppy7
11-03-2014, 02:07 PM
That is so cute! love it...how smart of them.

Thanks....yeah, after it was explained to me what they were doing, I thought it was kind of clever, too, lol

Compass
11-03-2014, 02:17 PM
No trick or treaters for us. Just too far out in the country. Plus my driveway is a good two hundred yards. lol Half uphill. They'd have to be dedicated.

One year we didn't trick or treat, we went to my friends house and passed out candy to others. But what we did different was we hung a giant white sheet over the garage, got a movie projector out and watched Harry Potter and then The Others. Creepy movie, really well done. It was a lot of fun.

Compass
11-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks....yeah, after it was explained to me what they were doing, I thought it was kind of clever, too, lol

Before I read what you said they were dressed up as, I thought they were camels. lol

Slaphppy7
11-03-2014, 04:20 PM
LOL, I do see what you mean...now I have to find room in the attic to store that stuff...sigh

RiversGirl
11-03-2014, 05:22 PM
How much candy does everyone give? I realize it depends on how many kids come by...but I've lost tabs on the 'average' take.

We generally give out around 2 pieces each, but we do get such large crowds.

I will say though, we tend to give more like a small handful to the little ones that come around early. This is just because I remember those days when mine were small, we'd only visit 5-8 houses and the kids would say they were done.

Also, there was a year with very little activity (for our neighborhood) and we probably only got something around 50 kids come through. That year -- towards the end -- we started giving out large handfuls at a time.

Boundava
11-03-2014, 05:49 PM

When I knew 9-10 neighborhood kids would do a drive-by...I'd make up little baggies of treats...but if you have 140 kids, that's not really an option...

I start out with 4-5 pieces and around 6 pm I start to give out handfuls...our trick-r-treat time is 4-7pm, so I don't want candy sitting here so I try to shove as much as I can out the door last minute.

Maybell Vaz
11-25-2014, 09:30 PM
I got more than 2 dozens just like last year. I prepared more treats this year though.