PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates w/ Malawi C.

Dixie
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I have hard well water so Malawi Cichlids were recommended at the LFS.
When I bought the fist batch of fish, 3Blue johanni, they also sold me 2Leporinus fasciatus (they were in the same tank with the cichlids in the LFS) and 2Plecos (to keep help keep the tank clean they said). I posted a pic of the Pleco in here because I was afraid they might get big and they said they thought it looked like a clown pleco.
Now my question is, are these fish compatable? They seems to be getting along fine but is that because they are small and about the same size now (approx. 2") and what about the water parameters?
TYIA,
Dixie

Fishguy2727
11-16-2007, 03:33 AM
What does the pH hold at?
Do you add any special lake salts?

The natural water parameters of the species mentioned make them incompatible. Tolerating it and thriving in it are two very different things.

Dixie
11-16-2007, 04:50 AM
Hey Fishguy,
Thanks for the reply. I see you're in N. Virginia. Cool! I'm in W.V. about an hour from Winchester.
I'd don't know what the PH holds at because it's still cycling. I'm new at this and started before I was well informed. I definately want to keep the ciclids so going by that, is my water wrong for the Leporinus or the Plecos or both? It needs to be hard (and is natuarly from the well) for the cichlids and they like it close to 84 degrees.
The lady at the LFS checked my water today and said it seems to be coming along in the cycling and nothing was dangerously high (although I think the ammonia is by my test) that's the only test kit I have. She didn't give me any numbers as results just said it was ok:c11: .
Thanks for helping,
Dixie

Fishguy2727
11-16-2007, 05:04 AM
I would nto be concerned about the actual levels of ammonia and nitrites, unless you really want to keep track of things. I usually just let it go and watch for signs of stress (clamped fins, lethargy, etc.). Get a pH test kit for yourself. I would get rid of the leproinus and probably the pleco as well, although the pleco is closer to okay. But first figure out what your tap pH is and what the tank is holding at.

Dixie
11-17-2007, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I will get a proper test kit soon. I think the Leporinus are going to get to big for me anyway and since I want them to do well I probably will sell them back, trade them in or give them away to someone with the right conditions for them.