PDA

View Full Version : Plant ID

sox500c
10-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Hello everyone, can you help me identify this plant?

This photo isn't my actual plant but a pic I got from google as I have found it difficult to get a decent photo of mine. I think I have identified it as egeria densa but would appreciate some confirmation. The man in the store said it will grow rapidly and is ok to trim back. He also said it will help oxygenate and absorbs some waste products.

I found it very difficult to keep attached in the gravel as it had no roots, so I used a thin piece of perspex with small holes drilled into it to hold the stems in place. Very fiddly job but hopefully it will work.

Also, any tips on keeping plants secure in the coarse gravel?

Thanks

Compass
10-25-2014, 01:50 PM
I believe what you have there is Anacharis. A common plant in the trade. I have it myself and it is indeed rather hard to root into the substrate. Mine has taken over the tank so I just let it do its thing and don't try and root it into the substrate. Not to say you can't as it will grow roots, I just don't. It is very good at absorbing excess nitrates from the water column but should not be considered an alternative to good maintenance. :)

sox500c
10-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks Compass, the plants seem to be staying put by now so I'll see how they go. Further research suggests burying one plant lengthways beneath the gravel with some leaves sticking out, the idea being new stems will grow upwards. I might try this if I can't keep the plants in the gravel.

Compass
10-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks Compass, the plants seem to be staying put by now so I'll see how they go. Further research suggests burying one plant lengthways beneath the gravel with some leaves sticking out, the idea being new stems will grow upwards. I might try this if I can't keep the plants in the gravel.

That could very well work as it does start growing new stems from all parts of the plant, not just the top.