PDA

View Full Version : ID my neon problem

SeaLady
10-25-2014, 02:52 AM
Noticed this neon today, there are 2 more with a slight 'whitening" in the same area. The white spots seem raised and the tail/backbone seems misshapen.

http://youtu.be/aWh-7gQGJrE

SeaLady
10-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Well, I would guess Neon tetra disease. I will try to net the 3 that seem affected and euthanize. I don't feed tubifex worms, but I've had fish "disappear" over the past couple of months. so I imagine that is the source. I guess I need to search for dead bodies when fish disappear so I don't have this happen again...sigh....poor little neons...

mommy1
10-25-2014, 03:08 AM
I'd pull those fish out and put them in QT. Have you added any new fish to the tank recently? I can't tell from the video if it looks like a tumor or a fungus. Does it look like a lump from inside the fish or does it look like it is on the fish and fuzzy?

RiversGirl
10-25-2014, 03:45 AM
SeaLady, I hope you can get them into a QT and also figure out what is wrong.

Is it bad to feed tubifex worms?

mommy1
10-25-2014, 03:47 AM
It isn't necessarily bad to feed tubifex worms, but some might have parasites in them. Also some people are allergic to them and handling them can cause allergic reactions. Most of the time it is fine to use them though.

SeaLady
10-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Not fuzzy, more of a bump. Definitely coming from within. Nothing on the outside as far as I can tell.

RiversGirl
10-25-2014, 04:07 AM
It isn't necessarily bad to feed tubifex worms, but some might have parasites in them. Also some people are allergic to them and handling them can cause allergic reactions. Most of the time it is fine to use them though.

Good to know, thanks.
I have an unopened bottle right now. Hopefully Hikari takes measures to ensure their food isn't contaminated with parasites. yikes.

SeaLady
10-25-2014, 04:10 AM
I added 4 young Juliis from TWS. I added 2 young Otos, after 2 weeks in the 10ga. Juliis have been in the 45 for about 1 1/2 weeks, or more. have to look that up...

RiversGirl
10-25-2014, 04:10 AM
I hope you can catch these and get them into a QT.

SeaLady
10-25-2014, 04:12 AM
one more...

RiversGirl
10-25-2014, 04:23 AM
I wish I could be of help to you SeaLady. Two of my Neons gained a 'grey patch' not long ago. I lost one -- well, I had to euthanize one. He was too far gone. The other I still have, but he has not regained his color.

In their QT, I treated with salt first, then perhaps a week later, dosed with Prazipro. I hope you can save yours and determine what is wrong. Best of luck to you.

steeler58
10-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Not quite sure what it is but if you can QT them and treat them with malachite green, it's a good general cure for most diseases, it would help.

SeaLady
10-25-2014, 03:35 PM
thanks for the advice all of you. I have a small QT ready to go but catching him is another matter. I tried last night and again this morning but I have to go out of town now. My hubby is out of town also. We do better as a team. As soon as I get back I will drain down the tank and partition off half the tank so as to minimize his escape area...AND will pickup the Malachite Green. thanks again...

SeaLady
10-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Rivers, did you put the other neon back into the "general population"?

RiversGirl
10-25-2014, 04:59 PM
I did. It might not have been very wise of me, but I just felt so sorry for him. He had lost weight in the hospital tank and seemed -- while still 'engaged' -- so forlorn. (if a critter is no longer engaged, there is likely serious trouble)

Anyhow, he is happy acting and has regained his weight. I still watch him closely though, because he never has regained his color.

I would not recommend another following my path of putting him back into the main, I likely made a risky move, there.

I really hope that you and your hubby are able to get these guys caught and treated. YOur method with the partition sounds great. Sometime when you have time, I'd love to know how you fashioned one of those, please.

RiversGirl
10-25-2014, 05:03 PM
and yeah, 'catching' is incredibly difficult stuff. Give yourself some kind of nice reward, once you've accomplished it.

Slaphppy7
10-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Lowering the water level (water change) may help you catch them