PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned

Bassfan
11-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Heres something to know. Never mess with an oscar and his food at dinner time, and ill tell you why. Today as I was feeding my oscar, I was giving him some pellets and he kind of stuck his head out of the water for a little bit looking for some food he did it a couple of times and i was thinking maybe i could hand feed him. So I was just taking a pellet and id put it right above the water and he would follow it. Until it happened, he got fed up with it and didnt want to wait anymore. I took my eyes off the tank for a second (mind you with the food still in my hand) and he jumped up, bit my thumb and grabbed the food lol. It didnt hurt but it definitely caught my attention. Never come between an oscar and his food.

Incredulous_Ed
11-15-2007, 05:54 AM
heh, good lesson. I have heard of some fish doing this and actually biting the skin off.

Bassfan
11-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Well i think because he's small right now he doesnt have teeth yet, or he has tiny tiny teeth. But i didnt get any cuts or anything. But yeah, this fish is a serious PIG. I feed him until i see his belly getting noticeably bigger and then i stop. But he keeps going to the top and beg for food like hes never ate before lol. I do feed him a lot at feeding time. His stomach gets pretty big but i then stop.

gm72
11-15-2007, 10:55 PM
I believe that if you are seeing his stomach get noticeably larger then you are overfeeding. Fish such as oscars will continue eating well past what they should normally consume.

2manyfish
11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Oscars are such gluttons!! They'll eat until they can't hardly move!

So feeding until you notice his stomach protruding is okay once in a great while, but it shouldn't be an every day thing.
Like for my own I give him a normal amount of food every day (it varies in the type of food) but once a week I don't feed him at all. Then maybe once a month I will give him an extra big helping of food. This will usually be stuff like raw shrimp or clams.

Be careful too of training your fish to jump out of water! That can end up backfiring on you :14:

Got any pics of your little guy? :c8: