PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about water change

djcarley
10-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Hi guys. My tank is due a water change tomorrow but my second heater has stopped working. Is it ok to change my water without heating it to the temperature of my tank water?

Compass
10-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Depends on how cold the water is to start with vs how warm your tank is. It also depends on how much water you change. If it is like a ten degree difference, I would do a smaller water change, wait till the temperature stabilizes and then do another small water change the next day or two.

fishmommie
10-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi
I'm not sure I'm following.
Do you have 2 heaters in your tank and one is not working?

Either way, you want to replace tank water with fresh conditioned water that is the same temp as the tank water so as not to shock the fish.

And if you only have one heater, you want to get a new one asap to maintain the correct temp for your fish.

If the temp in your tank has dropped substantially, then make sure that when you do add a working heater that you gradually bring the heat up to what it needs to be.

One other note: When you add the new heater, do NOT adjust the temp or plug it in for a full 30 minutes after it's submerged. This will allow the thermostat to acclimate to the water temp. If you don't do this, you will constantly be fighting to get a steady temp

Slaphppy7
10-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Do you mean your tap water heater is not working?

djcarley
10-13-2014, 06:47 PM
The heater in my tank is fine. I had a second heater that I used to heat my water for a water changes. Can't get to my lfs at the moment to get a new one. Could I heat my salt water in a pot on the cooker maybe?

fishmommie
10-13-2014, 06:55 PM
The heater in my tank is fine. I had a second heater that I used to heat my water for a water changes. Can't get to my lfs at the moment to get a new one. Could I heat my salt water in a pot on the cooker maybe?

So it's your water heater in your house. got it. yes, you could heat the water on the stove. I don't know what size of tank you're talking here, but IMO the best way to do that would be to heat a smaller amount of water on the stove to boiling. then add that to a bucket with your fresh conditioned water you plan to add to the tank until you obtain the temp you want.

Slaphppy7
10-13-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't see why not...carefully

djcarley
10-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys. I buy my saltwater ready made from my lfs, dump what I need in a bucket and heat it over night.
The tank size is 50 liters so I don't need to heat much. I do a small water change once a week

djcarley
10-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Don't worry I'll be very careful. As long as I don't put the fish in the pot too. Clown dinner with a side of shrimp and hermit crab anybody?

Slaphppy7
10-13-2014, 07:15 PM
Don't worry I'll be very careful. As long as I don't put the fish in the pot too. Clown dinner with a side of shrimp and hermit crab anybody?

That actually sounds kind of tasty....

Cliff
10-13-2014, 07:46 PM
Just be careful not to get your SW too hot on the stove. If you do, you will have evaporation which will increase the salinity.

sheamurai
10-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Just how big is the temperature difference?

I used room temperature water all the time for my water changes. Never even thought to put a heater in there. With saltwater you never do large volume changes except in emergency - to me, it seems more could go wrong with heating it over the stove than just changing with room temperature water.

I changed out 5 gal for a 50 gal tank every week for over a year with room temperature water. I don't think the temperature in my tank hardly dropped a degree when I did changes.

But perhaps I was wrong the whole time...also my mix sat in the same room as my tank, its not like it was in a cold basement.

djcarley
10-14-2014, 06:51 AM
I keep my water outside in the garage the temperature is pretty cool out there. I'll put it inside for the day and see if I can get it to room temperature.

I'm guessing if you are only 2 or 3 degrees off the temp of the tank it should be ok to use ?

Cliff
10-14-2014, 11:34 AM
That would depend on the size of the water change. As you only have a 50L or 13 gallon set-up, it would be a little easier to through off the temp in the tank by as much as 3 degree F (or about 2C) which I would not suggest. It might be best to try to get the temperature to match, or complete two smaller waterchanges.

djcarley
10-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Well I came up with a brainstorming idea. I boiled the kettle and filled a hot water bottle and put it in my bucket of saltwater and let it heat up. Everything seems to be fine but my goby has gone missing. Don't know where he is gone. I've my live rock setup so I can see around the back of it but can't see him hiding anywhere.