PDA

View Full Version : Unsure of suitable cichlids for my aquarium

DaveR91
10-12-2014, 08:54 PM
I have an aquarium with measurements 39"L x 24"H x 18"W. I was wondering which cichlids would be suitable for my aquarium In terms of the size they grow to and compatibility with my current stock . At the moment my current stock is 2 x Thorichthys meeki, 1 x Thorichthys ellioti, 3 x Balantiocheilus melanopterus (Which I discovered after purchasing will grow too big for my aquarium. I do plan to rehome them in the near future), 1 x Synodontis euptera and 1 x Polypterus senegalus. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :ssmile:

Cliff
10-12-2014, 11:11 PM
So, if I remember my scientific names correctly (and I'm not 100% sure that I am), you have in your 70(ish) gallon tank:
2 - firemouths
1 - spot cheek
3 - bala sharks
1 - Synodontis cat fish
1 - Senegal bichir

I would suggest to also rehome the bichir as he will also outgrow your tank.

Once you have those 4 fish rehomed, you could consider a small school (around 8 or so) of Odessa Barb (Puntius sp.) or Rosy Barb, Male (Puntius conchonius). I think the barbs would be a better if with those fish you are planning to keep and still add some nice color and activity to your tank

NotCousteau
10-13-2014, 12:14 AM
Yeah, not much room for any type of cichlids with two firemouths already.

Knightia
10-13-2014, 11:07 AM
As you already know, your tank is too small for bala sharks, and as Cliff recommends, also the bichir (which grows very large indeed). I'd also rethink the catfish as this can get pretty substantial in size and I do not think your tank is big enough. If you can rehome the catfish, bichir, and bala sharks, you could look at some bristlenose plecos which may be of interest. They stay small and will suit your tank size.

DaveR91
10-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody. Based on what you have all said I plan to rehome the synodontis and the bichir along with the bala sharks this weekend if I get chance to do so. What other fish would be compatible with the cichlids I have? Are there any other cichlids that could live alongside them without too much aggression or am I very limited? What kinds of fish are fine with them and around them?

toddnbecka
10-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Angelfish would probably mix, their body shape is so different that other cichlids don't usually see them as direct competition. Otherwise, schooling fish like tetras or barbs would be a good bet.

Knightia
10-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Angelfish would probably mix, their body shape is so different that other cichlids don't usually see them as direct competition. Otherwise, schooling fish like tetras or barbs would be a good bet.

I personally wouldn't keep angelfish with the powerful cichlids you already have.

Some tetra species could work, as could some barbs - but this is a limited selection of the largest species. Be cautious about this. You do not want to add a load of neon tetra or they will very quickly become snacks.

DaveR91
10-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Yeah adding neons wouldn't be the best idea lol. I was thinking maybe adding some silver dollars or tigers barbs in with them? Would they be able to coexist with the cichlids?

Knightia
10-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Tiger barbs could work but the tank isn't big enough for silver dollars.

DaveR91
10-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Ah ok. Well that's them ruled out then. What do you mean by tiger barbs could work? What are the chances of me having problems with them? I know they can be aggressive and like to nip fins.

Slaphppy7
10-14-2014, 06:03 PM
The problems such as aggression and nipping usually arise from keeping too few of them together, larger shoals of tiger barbs is recommended....still, they can be fin nippers of slower moving fish

Here's a bit of info: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/puntius-tetrazona/

DaveR91
10-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Well based on the link you provided it doesn't recommend keeping them with cichlids. It also mentions about not keeping them with livebearers but this is something I have done in the past with no problems. I suppose it's hit or miss and all depends on the individual personalities of the fish. If there's a chance i could have problems then I think I'm maybe best of avoiding them