PDA

View Full Version : My Pleco loves his new spot in the tank!

Plecos
09-29-2014, 05:42 PM
He really loves this new spot in the Tank under the Amazon Sword! He likes the bubbles going around him. The PVC plastic box he is laying on is 14 inches long and 5 1/2" wide. He is really a big boy for a Pleco at 9 years of age. Glad I got him this plant to break up his plane jane bare tank. He seems so much more happy just laying around now.
http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/carltoncomplexfire/large/DSCN0563.JPG

Boundava
09-29-2014, 06:32 PM
oh he is beautiful! The amazon is nice too! He does look happy sitting on his box. :)

aquariumlover10
09-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Awesome fish man, sorry but how big is yourtank again? I know thetanks big enough but I forgot how big.

Plecos
09-29-2014, 08:59 PM
It is 48-50 gal 48X12X21 high in size.

aquariumlover10
09-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Oh ok, sounds good.

Plecos
10-06-2014, 03:09 AM
Pleco has a new trick he lays on the cave top & slides out over the edge and looks like he is in the air defying gravity. I have seen him out further than this before.
http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/carltoncomplexfire/large/DSCN0579.JPG

talldutchie
10-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Glad to see the change was well accepted. Looks like a healthy fish. Please do share the occasional picture of it, people need to be aware of the size these fish can reach.

Plecos
10-11-2014, 05:22 AM
Glad to see the change was well accepted. Looks like a healthy fish. Please do share the occasional picture of it, people need to be aware of the size these fish can reach.
Here you go he is enjoying his bubbler. Just took it after I turned the kitchen light on.
http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/carltoncomplexfire/large/DSCN0588.JPG

Plecos
10-29-2014, 03:29 AM
My Pleco is not very happy tonight! I got his new Strawberry Clay Pot Cave and took out his old one. At the same time I had to re/pot the Sword. What a mess I had to vacumme the bottom first and still stired up the water changing the pot out. All done now and waiting for it to clear up. Wish my other filter was working this tank it would be done by now. I think I will buy a better one for the 45 gal tank now that I stold his for the 75 gal tank. The Neon's are having fun in the pot while Pleco is mad and on the other side of the tank. He will get over it by morning.

Rocksor
10-29-2014, 05:05 AM
He's not done growing just yet! Enjoy him for at least another 12 years!

Boundava
10-29-2014, 12:32 PM
My Pleco is not very happy tonight! I got his new Strawberry Clay Pot Cave and took out his old one. At the same time I had to re/pot the Sword. What a mess I had to vacumme the bottom first and still stired up the water changing the pot out. All done now and waiting for it to clear up. Wish my other filter was working this tank it would be done by now. I think I will buy a better one for the 45 gal tank now that I stold his for the 75 gal tank. The Neon's are having fun in the pot while Pleco is mad and on the other side of the tank. He will get over it by morning.

It may take him a little bit to realize he is being upgraded to the executive suite-lol. It took my bristlenose a day to realize the background is a bunch of ledges for him to "stick" to and now he is hanging upside-down on the bottom looking as happy as can be. If I get home tonight before the light turns off I will try to snap a shot of him, the background was made for my plecos and loaches-if the other fish like it that's is a benefit too :mrgreen:. Good choice in air-stone, the round one I have is from the same brand and I have had that one for years and years. Unlike the others it doesn't fall apart because of the plastic frame-good investment.

I agree with Talldutchie too, many times these common plecos are sold by the big chain stores (and some LFS) as "algae eater" remedies for tanks without people realizing they can be 17"+ and live many years. Yes they will eat algae but much prefer other greens too, a better way to deal with algae is a nerite snail. I have plecos cause I love plecos!

Sorry, my :twocents:

Compass
10-29-2014, 01:26 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread. He looks amazing! Big, fat, and happy. Well... maybe not happy ATM. lol

Plecos
10-29-2014, 02:04 PM
He still has not got in or on his new cave but the water cleared up. Maybe by the time I get5 back from the VA today he will have moved in?

Plecos
10-29-2014, 02:06 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread. He looks amazing! Big, fat, and happy. Well... maybe not happy ATM. lol

He is a character for sure and not short on lbs! He grows on you even tho he does not swim around in the tank much.

talldutchie
10-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Yes they will eat algae but much prefer other greens too, a better way to deal with algae is a nerite snail. I have plecos cause I love plecos!

Sorry, my :twocents:

An adult like this... if you can get your hands on some (frozen) shellfish without any herbs, spices or other additives... pop one in and stand well back! :hmm3grin2orange:

Plecos
10-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Got home and he was using part of the top of the cave to lean on while stuck on the glass. He started to lay on it but was not sure yet but that is what he did with his old cave then you had to pry him off it or poke him to get him to move for cleaning!

Plecos
10-30-2014, 03:07 AM
He is laying on the top of his new cave but has not gone in it yet. Not nice and flat but on top.

Picture;
http://photos.imageevent.com/willy/cichlidfish/large/DSCN0719.JPG

Plecos
11-01-2014, 01:25 AM
Either I measured him wrong or he grew since the last time???? He was flat on the glass making it easy to do so I grabbed a tape. He now is 16 inches long nose tip to tail end. I hope he does not get 24 inches long as he only has 8 more inches to go!

Plecos
11-08-2014, 05:00 AM
I spend $49.00 for a NEW Designer Cave and does not use it! I take a plastic top off a big bin trim it square heat it and bend the sides down into a new cave presto he is in it tonight! I guess sometimes fancy is not what they like? Just give me back my smooth plastic cave and I will be happy again.

Faded
11-11-2014, 09:58 PM
It's awesome to see that some people give these neat guys a tank to thenselves along with proper care. Honestly I myself would probably do the same if one of my plecos got this big.

Awesome job.

Boundava
11-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Great job, and yes-like kids, cat, and birds; it is trash they want. Get the cats a new hide, won't tough it. Bring a box home from the store and they fight over it! Get expensive treats for the birds-hate it! String some Cheerios and they love it! Buy a fancy ceramic floating log for the bettas...the cheap floating plant that has gone crazy in the corner is better choice and log is ignored 90%. There is is guy called Murphy and he made this law...it kinda applies to [I]everything[I] lol!