PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gallon Long Planning

AABatteries
09-28-2014, 03:29 AM
I've already decided that once my clowns are getting close to out growing my 10g reef, they will be getting a new home in a 20g long. Thus, my planning begins. Expect something to actually happen in about two months. But, I will probably start buying the equipment I don't have sooner, as well as start culturing some base rock.

Equipment:
20 gallon long
DIY stand
Current USA 24" Reef LED fixture
CPR Bak Pak skimmer
Koralia 1
Koralia Nano 240
50w heater

Livestock:
Ocellaris clown pair
some sort of blenny
2 hermit crabs
4 nassarius snails
4 astrea snails
2 cerith snails
1 turbo snail
1 emerald crab
Soft coral
LPS
maybe SPS

aquariumlover10
09-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Sounds good, I can't wait to see pics when its set up, for the blenny, you just want fish that hops on the bottom? Like would you be willing to go with a goby?

Cliff
09-28-2014, 12:37 PM
I would suggest going with set-up that is more dominant with one type of coral t make things a lot easier. For example, a 20 gallon long will not have a lot of hight, so if you meet the lighting requirements for SPS, that could be too high for a lot of softies. Same thing would apply for the flow requirements of both. Also, if you want SPS, you might want to get a taller tank to allow for more growth before you have to frag them. For a small tank with not a lot of hight, you might want to stick with mostly softies to make things easier. You would be amazed at how much calcium SPS and some LPS can consume out of the water, and in a 20 gallon tank, that would effect your pH making it unstable.

I would say a 20 gallon long is most likely going to be too small for even a single clown fish, but a lot of people do say it works but do not agree with that. They can be active little fish and would need more swimming room than a 20 gallon tank with live rock would provide IMO. A 29 gallon would work a little better as that would give a little more hight for stacking rocks to help free up some more swimming space within the aquarium. A tank with a larger width than 12 inches would be best.

You also have too much of a CUC. The turbo snail will get to be around 3 inches and won't get enough to eat in a 20 gallon tank. They are best suited for at least a 40 gallon IMO. They will also be problematic with most corals, crawling on them, brushing up against them, and stressing them. I would also start off with just one crab (either one hermit or the emerald). If they have trouble keeping up, then add a second crab that is a different species than the first one.

Just a few suggestions based on my experiences to help with your research

AABatteries
09-28-2014, 01:13 PM
Sounds good, I can't wait to see pics when its set up, for the blenny, you just want fish that hops on the bottom? Like would you be willing to go with a goby?

Really want the blenny. Since they do that, as well as swim around and sit on rocks. They've got great personalities, as well. I'm leaning towards a tailspot since they stay around 2-2.5 inches, and something like a lawnmower or bicolor blenny gets up to 3.5-4 inches.

aquariumlover10
09-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Oh ok, I would get thetail spot, also I would get a peppermint shrimp incase of apisto anemones.

AABatteries
09-28-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm culturing my own live rock from base rock. And, my current rock has no hitch hikers. No chance of anemones, or any other annoying pests for that matter.

@Cliff

I probably will lean towards softies with and LPS or two. I've never done LPS or SPS before, but I'd like to try maybe an acan or hammer/torch/frogspawn.

aquariumlover10
09-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Some times the spores come in on corals, but the shrimkp will also help with the CUC.