PDA

View Full Version : Ambulia

WhistlingBadger
09-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Hi, kids! I am thinking about getting some ambulia (finally found a source!) to give some additional cover to my small critters, help fight algae, look pretty, and increase my biodiversity.

I've never kept this before; I hear it's a weed once it gets going. That's OK; I like weeds in my aquarium. A few specific questions:

--Does it do OK in moderate light?
--Does it develop strong roots, or would it rather float?
--Is it a strong root feeder, or does it pull most nourishment from the water column?

Anybody have any experience with this plant? If so, please holler!

Tom

talldutchie
09-24-2014, 02:49 PM
There's two species with this name to my knowledge

Limnophila aquatica
Limnophila sessiliflora

The first one is known as giant ambulia and it gets massive indeed.

It does fine in moderate light, I got to grow decently in a tank with a single T8 over it but that was clearly the lower limit for the plant since it never got very dense. On a twin T8 or T5 system you should be fine I think.
It does prefer to be rooted but I suspect it doesn't care much where it gets it's nutrients from. In very soft water or when without lights for more than 48 hours it will get brittle and disintegrate in fragments which are a nuisance in your filter.

It's classed as a very invasive species in warmer parts of the world but I suspect that that won't be an issue in Wyoming.

WhistlingBadger
09-24-2014, 08:31 PM
OK, thanks for the info. I think I'm actually going for Limnophila Indica. I've looked at sessiliflora, and it doesn't seem all that different; I even wonder if it's a different name for the same thing.

WhistlingBadger
11-25-2014, 10:02 PM
I am going to resurrect this thread. I have been trying to find either indica or sessiliflora. Everybody says that these plants are absolute weeds--extremely easy to grow, almost to a fault. That being the case, why on earth is this stuff so doggone hard to find? Every time I find a source that says they carry it that doesn't charge outrageous shipping (and I have been trying for about a year, now), they are always out of stock. Weird.

Tom

talldutchie
11-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Are those plants blacklisted in some states? That could be the issue maybe? Did you try aquabid?

Slaphppy7
11-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Get in touch with these guys

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=116142&page=8

http://www.hanaquatics.com/

WhistlingBadger
11-27-2014, 02:12 AM
No dice on either of those, Slap! Triton can get something called "ambulia", but he isn't sure what the species is. I'll probably take my chances. It's just strange that this stuff is so hard to find.

Dutchie, it is outlawed in some states as an invasive weed, but I don't think that's the issue. Lots of online stores have it on their list, but it's always out of stock. And it wouldn't be outlawed in Wyoming, anyway--tropical plants have zero chance of becoming invasives here.