PDA

View Full Version : shrimp are gone

WhistlingBadger
09-22-2014, 12:23 AM
Well, I found my bamboo shrimp dead a few days ago. He was lying on his side on the bottom, a dull reddish brown.

I havent seen any amanos in a couple weeks, either. Every time I saw one, it loked healthy and was feeding voraciously. But sightings have gradually become less common, and I suspect they are gone, too.

I have not the foggiest idea what went wrong. I sure wish they would have worked out--they were such a cool addition to my tank.

IHateAlgae
09-22-2014, 01:22 AM
Same sorta thing happened with my wild crays one by one. Here are a couple preventatives.
1. Make sure you add calcium and so forth. Crustaceans need it.
2. I don't know much about these shrimps, but in case they can be cannibalistic it would be good to make all the same size and give lots of hiding spots.
3. Make sure there are no fish that could have influenced the death. I do suspect my Creek Chub (wild caught carnivore) may have hurt the crays, so in the case of your shrimp they may have molted then got killed.

SueD
09-22-2014, 02:39 AM
It is possible the amanos are still around (not sure what else you have in there). I happened to get a hitchhiking amano with a plant I bought and tossed it into a tank with an angel and rummys. I didn't see it again for a couple of months and thought for sure the angel got it. But I did find it during one of my water changes and it was quite large. It's been months again since I've seen it, but I'm thinking it may still be there.

WhistlingBadger
09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, guys. My water is medium hardness, so I'm guessing there is enough calcium in there to build shells. (There are crawdads like crazy in the creek our water comes from)

I never saw any sign of predation. My dwarf gouramis and pentazonas were curious, but I don't think either of them were big enough to do any serious damage. The redtail shark could probably take one out, but he never showed the slightest interest in them. Besides, there are LOTS of hiding places in this tank. (See journal (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=117769) for pics etc)

The amanos could still be there. But they were spending a lot of time in the open. Is it possible they've gone nocturnal? I should turn on the moonlights and see.

I really liked that bamboo shrimp, and my daughter always got a kick out of seeing them. I want to try again, but I'm reluctant until I have some idea what went wrong. Any other ideas?

T

WhistlingBadger
09-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Any other ideas? I want to try again, but preferably with a different result...which means I need to do something different.

T

WhistlingBadger
09-23-2014, 05:59 PM
1. Make sure you add calcium and so forth. Crustaceans need it.

How do you go about adding calcium? I could pour some milk in the tank, but that just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Boundava
09-23-2014, 06:35 PM
you can add sea shells, whole or crushed...I have some oyster shells in my tank.

You can put a cuttlebone in there too, like the ones for birds (it was in a cuttlefish in the first place)....

I am sure their are more experienced shrimpers out there that have better ideas.

I know that there are solutions you can buy-but a lot also add copper, which isn't so good in any amount for inverts.

Oh- if you bake/cook you can take regular egg shells and boil them for 5-10 minutes to sterilize and cool then crush to add to the gravel/substrate. It should break down in the water too. I used to do that to add calcium to my birds breads and meals, they liked crunching the bits of eggshells.

WhistlingBadger
09-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Interesting! Thanks for the ideas.

T

Slaphppy7
09-23-2014, 07:50 PM
I doubt the calcium levels were an issue...one thing with bamboo shrimp, you really need an established tank, with some established infusoria from plant material, decaying driftwood, etc...the BEST way to grow infusoria, I have found , is with leaf litter...you don't have to use Indian Almond leaves, many other leaves will work, including oak...this will give the bamboos a bit of floating nutrition when all of the regular fish food has settled

If you never found any molts from the bamboos (they're hard to miss), they may have starved to death...but that's just a hunch

And even though you saw no aggression/bullying toward the shrimp from your fish, it still could have been happening...especially during the night hours, when the bamboos are most active

gronlaura
09-23-2014, 08:23 PM
While researching Amano shrimp for my 29 gal, nothing I've read says to add extra calcium for them. Their ideal dGH is 8. Snails need calcium, but I don't think you have to worry about it with Amanos unless your dGH is very low.

WhistlingBadger
09-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Well, I have two very healthy mystery snails, so I guess that isn't the issue. Starved to death? Maybe. His body looked perfectly intact--no wounds or missing legs or anything.

Slaphppy7
09-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Well, I have two very healthy mystery snails, so I guess that isn't the issue. Starved to death? Maybe. His body looked perfectly intact--no wounds or missing legs or anything.

Have you seen a molt?...the shedded exoskeleton....it will look just like a dead bamboo at first, until you fish it out

I'm not doubting your ability to identify a dead shrimp...but I thought I lost mine the first time I saw their molts

WhistlingBadger
09-24-2014, 02:16 PM
I saw a couple of amano molts a week or two after I first got them. Nothing from the bamboo. And the critter I fished out was definitely a whole shrimp.

Slaphppy7
09-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention is cory cats...they do alot of rummaging through the substrate, stirring up all kinds of detritus that the bamboos may feed off of...seems like my bamboos are constantly filter feeding when the corys have everything stirred up

Here's some info for you: http://www.shrimpfever.com/2012/06/29/the-coolest-fan-in-your-tank-atyopsis-moluccensis/

A common reason for death that I keep running across is keeping them in tanks that are too "clean", ie, not enough microorganisms to sustain them

WhistlingBadger
09-24-2014, 03:43 PM
I am planning to get a fair school of dwarf chain loaches when they become available again. Hopefully that will do the trick. I am not sure how to encourage microorganisms. I have no shortage of algae, and the amanos I was were always feeding. Maybe I'll put in some sludge from my pond. ha ha ha

Thanks for the link, Slap. Still need to talk to you about some MS, now that it's cooling off a bit.

WhistlingBadger
09-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I also need to figure out a different pre-filter for my HOB filter. The one I have keeps clogging and making the current very unreliable. Could that be a factor?

Slaphppy7
09-24-2014, 03:52 PM
I also need to figure out a different pre-filter for my HOB filter. The one I have keeps clogging and making the current very unreliable. Could that be a factor?

Yes, if definitely could...bamboos need a good current to kick the detritus around...what PF do you use now?

WhistlingBadger
09-24-2014, 05:06 PM
I improvised one out of a nylon scrubber after two mystery snails got sucked into the intake and killed. It worked great for a couple weeks, but is now clogged up. I need to make one out of a piece of sponge that will be easier to keep clear.

Normally the current in my tank is quite strong. Not so much now.

Slaphppy7
09-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Check out the stainless steel pre filters this guy makes, I love mine: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=116432