PDA

View Full Version : Breeding cessation

rebecca_finny
09-17-2014, 07:27 PM
My angelfish usually breed (without fail) every 2 weeks, however after a change in temperature (we decided to up it to 82 degrees slowly about a month or so ago-it's usually at around 76-78), I haven't really noticed any breeding behavior. Should I lower it again, and if I do, will they feel comfortable to continue breeding?

mommy1
09-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Just curious why you raised the temperature? If the difference in temperature is the reason they stopped spawning then lowering it back to where it was should "fix" the problem. It would certainly be a good starting point to figuring out the issue.

rebecca_finny
09-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Okay, that's what I'll do. To answer your question, I was told that the average temperature for them is around 80 degrees and that they are most active (and more likely to breed, I guess). Apparently I was quite wrong...they seemed to react better to the lower temp.

mommy1
09-17-2014, 07:46 PM
If it isn't broken don't fix it :11: The problem with our fish is they don't read the books. Raising the temperature will make them more active, and raise their metabolism. Your fish may have adapted to the higher temperatures over time, but it has been my experience that spawning every 2-3 weeks is normal with angels. It would seem to me, I could be wrong, that inducing them to spawn more often might not be healthy for them or the spawn. I guess you would keep them in top condition with the best food and water parameters, but isn't every 2 weeks enough?

rebecca_finny
09-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Oh it is more than enough, trust me. Haha. I don't know how to explain it, I just thought they might be better off in a higher temperature, apparently they eat a lot better and I just wanted to help out-I don't know. I learned my lesson, though. :thumbsup:

mommy1
09-17-2014, 08:59 PM
It makes sense that they would eat more at higher temperatures. Since fish are cold blooded the warmer water will make raise their metabolism, which will make them more active and therefore hungrier.

rebecca_finny
09-18-2014, 03:06 AM
It does. It really does. Haha

mommy1
09-18-2014, 03:47 AM
Since fish are cold blooded the warmer water will make raise their metabolism

It does. It really does. Haha
Too bad my sentence doesn't make as much sense.

toddnbecka
09-18-2014, 05:45 AM
Cichlid pairs will usually spawn a number of times in succession then take a break for a couple months. Same with BN pleco's.

mommy1
09-18-2014, 11:56 AM
That's interesting toddnbecka, my angelfish never took a break for the nearly two years I had a pair, and my Texas cichlids never took a break in the 3-4 years they have been spawning. I got so tired of dealing with it, I finally separated them. I wonder why yours do and mine don't, or maybe I just didn't give it enough time.

toddnbecka
09-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Did they ever raise any fry, or did they keep losing the spawns and trying again? I've kept African, CA, and SA cichlids and have never seen a pair keep spawning that long. However, I do tend to move fish around among different tanks over a period of months, seldom leave things the same for a year or two.

mommy1
09-18-2014, 06:19 PM
The Texas raised the fry until she was ready to spawn again. The fry "disappeared" overnight and there was a new clutch of eggs on the rock. I was never interested in raising any so I didn't interfere.