PDA

View Full Version : Hikari

Incredulous_Ed
11-14-2007, 05:05 AM
What is your experience with Hikari food products? I was thinking about getting some Cichlid Gold, because only the LFS i rarely visit carries them, and the last time I was there, I bought grow pellets, which are too small, because I;m an Idiot.

cocoa_pleco
11-14-2007, 05:12 AM
hikari is awesome. i feed my convict, oscar, and pacu lots of stuff, but their favorite is the large hikari cichlid pellets. after feeding them the pellets they are in excellent health and are growing like weeds.

Incredulous_Ed
11-14-2007, 05:32 AM
Ok, i want to get my bolivians ready for breeding. Shoudl I feed cichlid gold, cichlid bio plus, or cichlid staple, or another type?

Fishalicious
11-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Hikari is top notch food - very good quality. Last year there was a short ban on Hikari importing and there was a huge outcry in the aqua world with everyone buying direct from overseas and paying huge shipping costs just to get their Hikari ;)

I'm sorry I can't help on the cichlid line - they are all a bit too big for my dwarfs - check the ingredients and pick one with a slightly higher vitamins for breeding. Although fresh frozen is still the best for conditioning - especially White Mosquito Larvae that usually get's them in the mood ;)

http://www.hikariusa.com/ - the Bio-Gold looks good for cichlids in the cichlid line

Fishguy2727
11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I have found Hikari to be second best to NLS. I think for cichlids the only one worth feeding is the Bio-Gold+, but if you can get NLS it would be much better. One problem is that the Bio-Gold+ doesn't come in the baby size, which would be the best one for rams. The other issue is that although they will eat from the surface, rams seem to prefer to eat off of the bottom. NLS can offer this while only Hikari Gold (not worth feeding compared to NLS) has a sinking cichlid pellet form.

cocoa_pleco
11-14-2007, 03:32 PM
oh, i forgot that the one i feed is bio-gold+.

i think NLS is better than hikari, but hikari is really good too

MeganL3985
11-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I have the Hikari Betta Bio-gold, my betta puffin loves the stuff, the other betta not so much.
I also have the Hikari sinking wafers and my oto cats eat them up....but wouldn't touch the Wardley brand.

nanaglen2001
11-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Some years ago you could buy that Hikari stuff here in Germany, but unfortunately there is no LFS in my area which sells it.

What a shame, I really liked it, my fish liked it also.

I dunno why its not sold any longer.

By the way; whats NLS??

hungryhound
11-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Some years ago you could buy that Hikari stuff here in Germany, but unfortunately there is no LFS in my area which sells it.

What a shame, I really liked it, my fish liked it also.

I dunno why its not sold any longer.

By the way; whats NLS??

NLS = New life Spectrum

Hikari is not bad. I feed the crab bites to my shrimp. My fish get the hikari wafers along with NLS

Incredulous_Ed
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Nls is New life spectrum food.

My rams ate 3 small neon tetras so far, so should I get get mini or medium or baby size?

Fishalicious
11-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Wow!! I have never ever heard of Rams eating small tetra's !! Weird...:confused:

I have kept them for years with small tetra's and never come across this... never heard it from any other fish keeper either ...

Well at least they are settling in nicely and enjoying the live food :ezpi_wink1:

Fishguy2727
11-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Did they attack, kill and eat them? Or were they feeding on the bodies?

Hikari is really good overall. Some foods not a smuch as others, but overall very good. Can you get NLS? If so just skip the Hikari completely. If you can't get it then go with the mini Bio-Gold+. It does not come in a baby size and the Gold is not as good.

Incredulous_Ed
11-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Im pretty sure they ate the neons alive. Te neons were perfectly healthy, and I have not found any neon bodies.

If they have NLS, I will get it (in a larger size this time), but if they don't, I will get hikari. Thanks for the help.