PDA

View Full Version : My Dwarf Rescue

MeganL3985
11-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Well today at Walmart, I happened to walk by the fish tanks getting some dog food and I looked into the tanks. There were 3 Dwarf gourami getting practically attacked by 2 pleco's in the tank! I felt sooo bad....but I went about my shopping. Came home still thinking about the fish, a few hours later......and I was like "Okay I have to do something...." I went back, there were two left. Either the other one got sold or it got killed, he looked in pretty bad shape when I was there earlier. Anyway.......the pleco was still at the remaining two...so I decided to just get them. I told myself I would never buy fish from Walmart (Except my rescued betta's), but I caved. I couldn't stand watching them be nipped at every time they moved. The poor things were practically cowering in the corner with nothing to hide in. Knowing that I was planning to get two dwarfs in the first place, I couldn't handle it. I wanted to keep them safe from the pleco's. I brought them home. Ones infront of the waterfall hanging out and the other is hiding behind the waterfall. I hope they're happy in their new home. I hated buying walmart fish.....but atleast I know there safe and not being attacked any more. Kind of a bitter sweet decision I suppose. :41:

With that said, One of them is a powder blue color with very faint red stripes (I believe its a female) and the the other is a red striped (I believe its a male). I dont know for sure the sex yet, b/c of the fin nipping and b/c they're scared and their fins are pushed down I cant tell for sure. But I will be able to tell better when they're calmed down and settled in. My daughter decided she wanted to name them. She named the Blue one Bindi and the red one Terri. :) She's on a kick with The Wiggles--Wiggly Safari DVD that has Steve, Terri and Bindi Irwin...so thats how she got those names.

squirt_12
11-14-2007, 12:13 AM
good save....it is better for you to buy them then for them to go through even more suffering.....:1luvu:

they sound like they will be very nice.

Arkie
11-14-2007, 12:15 AM
good on ya megan. the fishy world needs more people like you :22:

~Erik3.8.07~
11-14-2007, 01:01 AM
nice job megan, it's worth buying from walmart to save a suffering fish, it's terrible what fish go through at that place but at least you know these 2 will be safe now.

Rue
11-14-2007, 01:22 AM
...you'll have to post pictures...mine are just brownish green with spots...:hmm3grin2orange:

I don't like to shop at Walmart either...but I did get the 2 new dojos and the 3 bumblebee cats there :14:

MeganL3985
11-14-2007, 01:29 AM
I really didnt want to buy from walmart, but I would've felt horrible, if I would've let those fish get nipped, possibly to death, by that pleco. He was sooooo mean! I couldn't get over it. I didn't know pleco's were like that!

squirt_12
11-14-2007, 01:32 AM
I really didnt want to buy from walmart, but I would've felt horrible, if I would've let those fish get nipped, possibly to death, by that pleco. He was sooooo mean! I couldn't get over it. I didn't know pleco's were like that!
you did a good thing Megan by rescueing them.

lasm
11-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Sorry friends but I don't agree.

I think that Megan shouldn't have buy them.

Walmart people don't have a single idea about fish keeping. When you buy fish from Walmart, they will get more and more to keep selling.

I also feel really bad when I'm on walmart and see half the fish in the tanks dead. But we have to completely stop buying so that they can stop selling fish.

MeganL3985
11-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Walmart people may not know anything about fish keeping, but how is letting innocent fish die and suffer for other peoples mistakes, okay? And i'm sorry but I truely feel that your never going to get them to stop selling fish unless they choose to do so (which apparently some have)....but you really want to make a dent, how bout writing in and changing how the fish are kept, instead of saying "to hell with the fish, b/c these people dont know what they're doing".... I regret having to buy from walmart, b/c I choose not to support them, but i'm not going to let fish die for the lack of knowledge the clerks have. If those fish were not being injured by that pleco I would've never bought them. I would've walked by the tanks and went on my way as usual.

Azear
11-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Walmart people may not know anything about fish keeping, but how is letting innocent fish die and suffer for other peoples mistakes, okay? And i'm sorry but I truely feel that your never going to get them to stop selling fish unless they choose to do so (which apparently some have)....but you really want to make a dent, how bout writing in and changing how the fish are kept, instead of saying "to hell with the fish, b/c these people dont know what they're doing".... I regret having to buy from walmart, b/c I choose not to support them, but i'm not going to let fish die for the lack of knowledge the clerks have. If those fish were not being injured by that pleco I would've never bought them. I would've walked by the tanks and went on my way as usual.

Amen ! I totally agree with you Meg... At first, I didn't wanted to get involved into the subject but now, that i'm in.... let's do it...

Letting a fish die like that in front of your eye is animal cruelty... Not caring because "Oh they don't know what they are doing" is not an excuse... I don't either encourage Walmart but I can't stand a fish helpless like that. I've rescued 3 guppies the same way at Petcetera... I don't agree with the way they keep fish but still I couldn't stand seeing theses 3 poor girls in the tiny tank...

And as a hobbyist Fish keeper... we have the moral responsibility to ensure that most of the fish survive... (tho it's not always possible) but I won't enter into Moral responsibility much cauz I'll get flamed for this... but well.... Only my opinion...