PDA

View Full Version : Help! Angelfish fry!!

katelyn7014
09-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Okay. I need HELP. I took the wigglers out of the big tank and transferred them into the 10 gallon. That went great. The only problem is the 10 gallon was so big and the fry were so microscopic I couldn't tell where any of them were! So I put them in a small glass jar, and I have no idea what to do next. I can't just leave them in the jar! :sconfused:

And they weren't free swimming when I moved them, but now that they're in the jar by themselves they're still wiggling, just all congregating at the bottom of the jar. I know I put a bunch in the jar and when I look in it looks like I have none. This was the 7th day of them wiggling as well, today.

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 09:50 PM
They need to be in a heated filtered tank

katelyn7014
09-05-2014, 09:55 PM
I figured... I guess maybe I could get a divider and put it in the 10 gallon, to keep the fry in one spot and away from the "Whisper" filter I got at Walmart.. I think even with the nylon stocking over the filter the current is too strong for them being this tiny... :/

mommy1
09-05-2014, 10:55 PM
A lot of breeders use jars with air stones at this stage of development. Here is some good basic information that may help http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleBreeding.htm

Slaphppy7
09-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Do you have a breeder net?...that would be best...$6 at Petsmart

katelyn7014
09-06-2014, 01:04 AM
Do you have a breeder net?...that would be best...$6 at Petsmart

Okay, so... I have the fry in the 10 gallon. That went okay, I have a divider so they're only in one part of the tank, so I can keep track of them because they are so tiny in that tank! One or two of them are free swimming, the others are in two separate groups at the very bottom of the tank, just clumped together with their tails wiggling. It almost looks like they're stuck together. Is this normal? Shouldn't they be free swimming by now, too?

Slaphppy7
09-06-2014, 01:16 AM
I've never had angel fry, so I'm no expert..are you wanting as many as possible to survive?...do you have room to raise many angels fry?

katelyn7014
09-06-2014, 01:20 AM
Yes, I do. I'm just trying to understand what's normal and what's not so that if this ever happens again I know what I'm doing and I won't be so clueless anymore! thumbs2:

Slaphppy7
09-06-2014, 01:27 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/breeding/angelfish.php

ThatTexanGuy
09-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Well, I have absolutely nothing to add to this conversation besides congrats! lol

Would love to see a pic as well. haha

rebecca_finny
09-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Okay, so... I have the fry in the 10 gallon. That went okay, I have a divider so they're only in one part of the tank, so I can keep track of them because they are so tiny in that tank! One or two of them are free swimming, the others are in two separate groups at the very bottom of the tank, just clumped together with their tails wiggling. It almost looks like they're stuck together. Is this normal? Shouldn't they be free swimming by now, too?

Wiggling stage, completely normal :) I used to see 10-20 fry clumped together all the time, it's because of the sticky substance they're secreting from their heads. I guess it's easier for the parents that way too. I might have a picture.

rebecca_finny
09-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Here is mama with her wigglies :) (you can kinda see one or two being clumped together)

...and them free-swimming (about 5 days old):