PDA

View Full Version : Tetra Cardinal are snack for Angels?

Danimgj
09-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about keep some Cardinals (about 20 or 30) in my tank with 5 Angel fishes.

The tank will be 130x50x50cm (325 liters)

Is that OK or after a while the Cardinals will be eaten by the angels ?

I had seen this combination for many times, but I also read a lot about people complaining about that.

Drew's_Fish_99
09-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Depends, if you get the Cardinals while the angels are still juveniles and let them grow with each other, by the time the angels are grown so are the cardinals and I don't want to say they can't eat them but I don't believe they can. A grown cardinal is about 2 inches and angels have pretty narrow mouths. Although a lot of people's issues with keeping them together is angelfish are natural predators of Cardinals in the wild. A matter of opinion but I see where they come from and I'm starting to kind of agree.

Danimgj
09-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Depends, if you get the Cardinals while the angels are still juveniles and let them grow with each other, by the time the angels are grown so are the cardinals and I don't want to say they can't eat them but I don't believe they can. A grown cardinal is about 2 inches and angels have pretty narrow mouths. Although a lot of people's issues with keeping them together is angelfish are natural predators of Cardinals in the wild. A matter of opinion but I see where they come from and I'm starting to kind of agree.

Do you know how long the cardinal needs to reach maximum size?

Maybe if I put the cardinals some time before...

Drew's_Fish_99
09-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Not too long. 4-5 months in my experience. Do you plan on getting full grown angels to start with? You could get all juveniles and they would grow with each other. Angels are a little bit slower growers than cardinals are. Will the bottom of the tank be decently well planted? In the worst case scenario, If the cardinals are scared of the angelfish at all, they can use the plants as protection as they are bottom dwellers anyway.

Danimgj
09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Not too long. 4-5 months in my experience. Do you plan on getting full grown angels to start with? You could get all juveniles and they would grow with each other. Angels are a little bit slower growers than cardinals are. Will the bottom of the tank be decently well planted? In the worst case scenario, If the cardinals are scared of the angelfish at all, they can use the plants as protection as they are bottom dwellers anyway.

I plan to put some woods but not many plants, I was thinking about put all the fishes and keep the angels for the last.

In a tank like this, how many tetras can fit right, with large space enough for everyone ?

discuspaul
09-02-2014, 03:02 PM
If you can get reasonably good-sized (near mature adult) Cardinals, introduce them first, then add younger juvenile Angels later, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.
In that size of tank, you could readily keep the intended 5 Angels, along with 50 or more Cardinals if you wished.

afro123
09-02-2014, 03:28 PM
If you can get reasonably good-sized (near mature adult) Cardinals, introduce them first, then add younger juvenile Angels later, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.
In that size of tank, you could readily keep the intended 5 Angels, along with 50 or more Cardinals if you wished.

+1 to that

Drew's_Fish_99
09-02-2014, 03:30 PM
325 liters being about 80-90 gallons I believe, (I'll have to use a google converter later) you have quite a bit of room to work with. And as long as you over filter pretty well, you could put quite a few fish in there, but then again, I like to stock pretty heavy. If this was my personal tank using your selected fish, I'd probably do 4-6 angelfish and 40-50 Cardinals if that's the only fish you want to do. I personally would plant it pretty heavily because both angelfish and cardinals look really good in a planted tank.

afro123
09-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Sure brings out their colour

Drew's_Fish_99
09-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Sure brings out their colour

Definitely! Harlequin Rasbora's too! I don't like the Harlequins unless they are in a planted tank. No where near as attractive.

Danimgj
09-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Definitely! Harlequin Rasbora's too! I don't like the Harlequins unless they are in a planted tank. No where near as attractive.

Unfortunately I will not have that time to take care of many plants, but I think that a planted tank is really beautiful.
In my case, I will try some hardscape, thinking about something like this:
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/#s=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&p=0&a=0&at=0

Drew's_Fish_99
09-02-2014, 04:13 PM
That's really good looking! If a hardscape is done right it can be just as beautiful as a planted tank! Now you have me googling hardscaped tank pictures... I really need more than 1 tank.

afro123
09-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately I will not have that time to take care of many plants, but I think that a planted tank is really beautiful.
In my case, I will try some hardscape, thinking about something like this:
http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/#s=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&p=0&a=0&at=0

Listen.
a planted tank does not only mean real plants.
A tank with fake plants can look just as good. Check out laura's journal's
Her tanks are filled with fake plants and looks just as good.