PDA

View Full Version : H. histrio Sagassum Fish tank

Micco28
09-02-2014, 02:31 AM
I am looking to start up a species specific tank with a Sargassum Fish (Histrio histrio) and I was wondering what would be required to care for it?

I was thinking a 35 gal tank (most sites say 30+ but others say 50+) with a cover (they can flip/jump out of the water) and a protein skimmer and some live rock. I was thinking of snails for a clean up crew. I was also thinking of having a type of Gracillaria or caluerpa macro algae for it to hide in as well. If I can find somewhere to get sargassum weed of some type then I'll add that in too.

I am willing to feed live foods

Please say if i missed anything that I would need to care for it. Thanks

Cliff
09-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I've never kept one of these, but one of the guys at our SW LFS has one. He keeps his in a 50 gallon tank due to fact they will reach 5 to 6 inches in length and will need some hiding spots and spots to sit pearch on within your live rocks. He could not make that work in anything smaller than a 50 gallon tank (18 inch wide tank if I remember correctly)

Also, it can be a little difficult to get these guys to eat frozen foods. From what I have been told, the best way to get them to eat is to start holding live shrimp on the end of some very long tweezers. Once the get used to live food on the tweezers over time, then you can slowly start introducing dead / frozen foods as they would have already associated the tweezers with food by now. This approach had worked great for me to get my lion fish eating frozen, and from what I have been told it will also work for a Sargassum fish.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I would like to see some pics once you have everything set-up with your sargassum fish in the tank

And welcome to the forum

Micco28
09-02-2014, 01:24 PM
I've never kept one of these, but one of the guys at our SW LFS has one. He keeps his in a 50 gallon tank due to fact they will reach 5 to 6 inches in length and will need some hiding spots and spots to sit pearch on within your live rocks. He could not make that work in anything smaller than a 50 gallon tank (18 inch wide tank if I remember correctly)

I am having a custom built tank, stand, and hood and the dimensions will be 24.5 L X 16.5 W X 20.5 H, so it will actually be just over 35 gal. and have a good sized foot print

Spardas
09-02-2014, 10:41 PM
That tank would be okay. Just make sure if you feed frozen, don't overfeed. Also, make sure you use fresh frozen food. Don't keep taking frozen food out to thaw then put out back in. They are quite easy to care for and you don't need the sargassum weed for it to be happy. Also, even if it's taking frozen food, you should feed it live from time to time to keep it in the hunt....

Again, I can't stress enough to not overfeed and to feed quality frozen food. Good luck. They're a blast to keep.

Micco28
01-22-2015, 06:11 PM
O.K. I'm going to bump this post instead of making a new one.

So I'm still getting the 35 gal tank and the H. histrio, but I think that I want to make a marine "planted" tank as well. The macro algae will let the H. histrio hide, but I want to make sure that the one I've picked out will work. So I was thinking about:

Animals-
Sargassum Frogfish
Harlequin Serpent Star

Macros-
Either Hypnea pannosa or blue ochtodes
Either Cladophora prolifera or maiden's hair
Blue Scroll
Either Red grape caulerpa or dragon's breath
Baggy seaweed

I'll have live rock, but I don't know what substrate to use in between the rocks. Fine? Coarse?

I know I'll need a skimmer and probably a power head too.

Please let me know if I missed anything or if you have any suggestions

Cliff
01-23-2015, 01:04 AM
I still think your tank will be too small for the fish you want. I know many websites will tell you you can keep them in tanks that small, but with the bioload generated but even a inactive 7 inch fish, you get problems with water quality. You should think about also think about filtration and water stability when planning a new set-up. Even if you pack it full of macro algae, it's still a little risky. Just my experiences tho.

You also have a mixture of fast and slow growing macro algae. At some point all the fast growing ones will chock off the slow growing ones. Maybe just stick with few that are found in this fishes natural environment. Something like Caulerpaor the taller feature macros would work

I would also suggest two smaller powerheads to help ensure good water quality with enough live rock

James`
01-23-2015, 01:28 AM
You would be much happier with a 40long. We're talking 48 inches of swimming room. Doesn't seem much sense to me to plan a tank around a fish that will grow out of it. Saltwater fish live in the ocean and can at times be very hard to put in between our glass.. Limiting their space is a real easy way to find them upside down.

Consider additional biological filtration for this fish... Live rock will not be sufficient in my opinion.