PDA

View Full Version : To Drift or not to Drift?

Fishhook
08-28-2014, 02:24 PM
I picked up a bushy nose a few days ago and asked (probing if you will) my LFS guy if driftwood is necessary for the him. He said no, since they were all tank raised.

I bought up a piece anyway (from a different store), because I like the idea of the pleco, tank raised or not, having the most natural diet he can have.

But that raises the question- Is driftwood a necessity in tank bred plecos? Have their wild/natural diets been bred out of the absolute need for driftwood?

discuss..

Compass
08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
That's just dumb. lol They love wood. I don't think because a fish is tank raised that it no longer recognizes something as food. Give a fish flake food all its life and then toss in some bloodworms. It might look at them funny, but it'll figure them out real quick.

Slaphppy7
08-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Mine would be lost w/out his arched DW pieces to hide under/graze upon

FH, why the heck are you listening to what an LFS drone tells you, anyway?...that's why you have us! LOL

Fishhook
08-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Mine would be lost w/out his arched DW pieces to hide under/graze upon

FH, why the heck are you listening to what an LFS drone tells you, anyway?...that's why you have us! LOL

I didn't listen :wink: I bought a piece anyway because I know better. And this wasn't a box store either.

Slaphppy7
08-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Good deal, and funny that you bought it elsewhere, lol

wayhilc
08-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Ok, you opened the door, so I'll step thru. Just left the LFS(see Mrs. Wayhilc post)the salesperson, said you can not buy female dwarf gouramis, I couldn't respond I was so shocked, is this true ? Hey you said "ask us"

Slaphppy7
08-28-2014, 04:00 PM
What do you mean, can't buy them?....Rob knows about gouramis more than me....

showmebutterfly
08-28-2014, 04:08 PM
I am pretty sure you can buy them, it's just that most lfs don't stock them. The female are considered drab and therefore don't sell well with the general and uneducated public.

talldutchie
08-28-2014, 05:40 PM
I picked up a bushy nose a few days ago and asked (probing if you will) my LFS guy if driftwood is necessary for the him. He said no, since they were all tank raised..
Well, that's a bizarre reasoning on their part.

I bought up a piece anyway (from a different store), because I like the idea of the pleco, tank raised or not, having the most natural diet he can have.

But that raises the question- Is driftwood a necessity in tank bred plecos? Have their wild/natural diets been bred out of the absolute need for driftwood?

Err... ok...

Out of the 1200 species of "pleco" gut analysis of wild specimen has been on about a 150 by now. Based on that and on observations we now know that only fish from the genus:
Panaque
panaqolus
some hypostomus
Actually "need" wood and even then there's some debate still ongoing if and how they actually derive nutrients from wood.

From the other "plecos" many including all 60+ species of bristlenose will appreciate some wood to shelter under and on more mature wood to rasp it for tasty things growing on it These fish have not been bred long enough for them to change diet, that would be a major undertaking. Bristlenose do best on a diet of fresh or frozen veg (anything green will do really) and once or twice a week an algae wafer. Like horses and rabbits they stay healthiest if they have continuous access to a high fiber food source.

If youre interested, I think I got some academic papers still.

Fishhook
08-28-2014, 05:41 PM
I am pretty sure you can buy them, it's just that most lfs don't stock them. The female are considered drab and therefore don't sell well with the general and uneducated public.

yep my local doesn't stock the females either for this reason. I was specifically looking to pair mine up

Fishhook
08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
I completely agree dutchi. For his theory to really be true, it would probably have taken years to evolve them to that point. Its like saying dogs had evolved to eating only man-made food and would not eat a chicken breast if it was placed on a plate in front of it.

afro123
08-28-2014, 07:31 PM
I completely agree dutchi. For his theory to really be true, it would probably have taken years to evolve them to that point. Its like saying dogs had evolved to eating only man-made food and would not eat a chicken breast if it was placed on a plate in front of it.

I'd fancy some fried chicken now....

aquariumlover10
08-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Yeah you can buy females, only listent to the lady with blonde hair at petsmart she the only one tat is suppose to be messing with fish.

Plecos
08-31-2014, 10:59 PM
I have some Drift wood from New Zealand’s South Island I started soaking today to cure it for my tank. I am hoping my Pleco like it. I did not know they like to chew on it. I still need to make a cave for it.

talldutchie
09-01-2014, 05:28 AM
"they" don't like to chew it. Just some species do. Don''t forget that "pleco" is now used for hunderds of very different fish.

Plecos
09-01-2014, 04:18 PM
"they" don't like to chew it. Just some species do. Don''t forget that "pleco" is now used for hunderds of very different fish.Mine is a Common Pleco and 14" long. I spent a while looking at a bunch of pictures to figure it out.

PS Your kind of rude in the way you respond to a post?? Are you chewing me out?

Plecos
09-01-2014, 05:05 PM
The name "Common pleco" is for instance used for a long row of different pleco species, such as Bristlenose Catfish ( Ancistrus dolichopterus ), Suckermouth Catfish ( Hypostomus plecostomus ), Sailfin Catfish ( Liposarcus multiradiatus ) and Amazon sailfin catfish ( Liposarcus pardalis ).

The species sold under the name "Common pleco" will normally have similar requirements and we will in this article focus on the needs of these plecos. If you keep some other type of pleco, the safest choice is to try to find species (or at least genus) specific information instead.
Here is a picture of one just like it;

Knightia
09-01-2014, 07:28 PM
I don't think talldutchie was being rude...just accurate and succinct. We needn't be precious about naming conventions.

I've never seen a bristlenose listed as a common plec. I see "common plec" I just think "big/avoid"!

aquariumlover10
09-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Umm yeah I agree with dutch, and firefly.
A common pleco is a common pleco, a bristlenose is a bristle nose, sailfins are different then those too, suckermouth catfish is any catfish with a suckermouth that's a category not a species, and again plecos, you need a bigger tank or need to sell that pleco.

talldutchie
09-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Mine is a Common Pleco and 14" long. I spent a while looking at a bunch of pictures to figure it out.

PS Your kind of rude in the way you respond to a post?? Are you chewing me out?

Apologies. It's sometimes hard for me to tell the difference between someone who keeps a "pleco" conciously and the many people we get here that plunk one in because "everyone knows you got to have an algae eater, right? The point I keep trying to make is that it's not just one species but many, many different ones.

The name "Common pleco" is for instance used for a long row of different pleco species, such as Bristlenose Catfish ( Ancistrus dolichopterus ), Suckermouth Catfish ( Hypostomus plecostomus ), Sailfin Catfish ( Liposarcus multiradiatus ) and Amazon sailfin catfish ( Liposarcus pardalis ).

The species sold under the name "Common pleco" will normally have similar requirements and we will in this article focus on the needs of these plecos. If you keep some other type of pleco, the safest choice is to try to find species (or at least genus) specific information instead.
Here is a picture of one just like it;

Sorry but no, I don't agree with you and here's why

1. The actual hypostomus is quite rare these days. Not sure why but until the early parts of this century they were fairly common. These days it's Pterygoplichthys mainly (liposarcus I haven't seen in use in ages, though that name was forgotten by now)
2. Hypostomus contains a few wood eaters, Pterygoplichthys doesn't seem to.
3. Ancistrus is rarely sold as common pleco. Unlike Pterygoplichthys they require little protein in their diet.
4. The various species of Pterygoplichthys can sometimes be difficult to tell apart but it's important since there's dwarf ones with only 10 inch standard length and the big ones of 16-18 inches.

So, I know it's a pet peeve of mine and I sometimes unintentionally annoy people with it but I firmly believe it's important to distinguish between the various species of catfish sold as "pleco" and to pick one that fits the size and conditions in your tank. When kept properly these are wonderful fish that can live for a long, long time!

Slaphppy7
09-01-2014, 08:58 PM
it's not just one species but many, many different ones.

That can be tricky with identification, sometimes....but dutchie's pretty good at it

Plecos
09-01-2014, 10:26 PM
"they" don't like to chew it. Just some species do. Don''t forget that "pleco" is now used for hunderds of very different fish.

The more I read this I don't think you were being rude to me just stating a fact. Sorry about that!

cm12setx
09-01-2014, 10:43 PM
+1 to talldutchie and plecos. For mature resolution of miscommunication.

Plecos
09-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Apologies. It's sometimes hard for me to tell the difference between someone who keeps a "pleco" conciously and the many people we get here that plunk one in because "everyone knows you got to have an algae eater, right? The point I keep trying to make is that it's not just one species but many, many different ones.

Sorry but no, I don't agree with you and here's why

1. The actual hypostomus is quite rare these days. Not sure why but until the early parts of this century they were fairly common. These days it's Pterygoplichthys mainly (liposarcus I haven't seen in use in ages, though that name was forgotten by now)
2. Hypostomus contains a few wood eaters, Pterygoplichthys doesn't seem to.
3. Ancistrus is rarely sold as common pleco. Unlike Pterygoplichthys they require little protein in their diet.
4. The various species of Pterygoplichthys can sometimes be difficult to tell apart but it's important since there's dwarf ones with only 10 inch standard length and the big ones of 16-18 inches.

So, I know it's a pet peeve of mine and I sometimes unintentionally annoy people with it but I firmly believe it's important to distinguish between the various species of catfish sold as "pleco" and to pick one that fits the size and conditions in your tank. When kept properly these are wonderful fish that can live for a long, long time!
Hello; That information was got off this site in the Pleco section. I am still learning about them. 9 years ago this girl was not taking care of her fish aquarium and we did not want to have the fish just die. By the way we have also rescued many goats and a calf or two from them! I just thought it was a Algae eater and could have used one in our Gold Fish Tank. We raise Gold Fish for the Cow water tanks to keep bugs down in them. We just get feeders and raise them up to around 6 inches and put them in the outside tanks for them to get real big eating bugs!

Having said this that Algae Eater started getting big and I mean real big over the years! Now that we have had it 9 years it is 14 inches long and I decided to spend a bunch of money setting up a better filter for it. It is going to be my job to keep the tank clean and wanted it to be easier to do. I looked into pumps, filters and started reading about them. Then I figured I needed to realey know what this fish was! Looked on the Net and found this forum and dug around in it then started posting.

We rescue Newfoundlands and have around 200+ animals up to 1800 lbs in weight and feed over 60,000 lbs of hay each winter so were not new to this doing it for over 25+ year. We pull calves, goats and save little ones moms don't like or die during birth. Try bottle feeding 10 puppies or 5-6 Kid Goats 2-3 calves ETC during the winter and having them all live.

But back to the Pleco it has done real good for the last 9+ years with us taking care of it. Kind of got attached to it just laying there in the day and cruising around at night. We have this touch for animals, even have a Watusie with a 8 ft horn spread and a Yac! We do not have room for a bigger tank and would hate to even move this guy cause he is sorta wild having never been removed from a tank but once when it was a couple inches long. We allways work around him when we clean it. We would also hate to mail him, transport in a bucket the hundred miles to a fish place so he will spend out his life here. I will do my best to keep him happy and clean. Heck even Pro Fish Peoples fish die and get sick all the time and he has been real lucky! His life is more than just a bigger tank and could be way worse. It is 14 inches long and the tank is 4 ft by 12" x19" in size. He can turn around in it real fast and I'm not sure how much longer he will live at 9+ years old. Books say much older? I will post a picture of him when I get my filter done and the tank is crystal clear for the picture. I have over $800.00 into this one fish(we got the fish for free) not counting food so I want him to live! I will continiue to learn more on his care but he might also out live me??

talldutchie
09-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Rescueing dogs I can see and you have my admiration for tha.t Rescueing goats, I suppose so but a CALF?? REALLY?????!!!!

Anyway...I suspect this fish is now at full size and they are, as you've discovred they are adorable in their own right.

As to their age.. we don't really know. There's just not sufficient evidence. Personally I suspect 30-40 years is realistic.

Plecos
09-02-2014, 05:07 AM
My wife hates to see any animal suffer and we have been married for 30 years so it rubs off. Over the past 25+ years we have had to bury 15 Newfs due to there age when we got them Got pictures of every one on a wall. Even when your old you need a home so we take them to give back what they have done for us over the years. We do not understand why people dump there dogs when they get old? They only need a place to lay, some petting, love, food and shelter. Now I got this old fish that will out live me!

talldutchie
09-02-2014, 07:48 AM
Recently there was an eel in Sweden that died at an age of 155 years