PDA

View Full Version : Is my pleco ill?

Kimmy19
08-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi,
I recently went away for just over 4 days, leaving a friend to feed the fish for us.... once I got back i realised he had been way over feeding :(
So I came back to a cloudy tank but the fish seemed fine so I straight away did a 50% water change.
Now the water is fine condition but I've noticed my catfish.... he is actively fine but he had a bit missing out of his sailfin and one of his nose bits? (maybe) is like fluffy?

any help would be brilliant..... also will his missing fin bit grow back.

p.s sporry about the pictures, hopefully they help a bit

Slaphppy7
08-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Do you have any driftwood in the tank?...they practically require it....BNP's need lots of good hiding places, too

What are your water params?...what water conditioner do you use?

Compass
08-28-2014, 01:08 PM
The fin should grow back. It's hard for me to tell what is going on with his nose. Could have just gotten in a tiff with the betta.

Kimmy19
08-28-2014, 01:11 PM
I have no driftwood for him/ her :)
should i think about getting some then? where is the best place?
water params? (sorry)
and also i just use tetra aquasafe at every water change...

and compass.... he nose look like on side has like fluff on it the same colour as his skin...

talldutchie
08-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Do you have any driftwood in the tank?...they practically require it....BNP's need lots of good hiding places, too

This is not a BNP Slap, it's a Pterygoplichthys, probably a gibbiceps. The 12inch+ fish that's sold to unsuspecting beginners as an algae eater..

Fish looks rather skinny but not in terrible condition. I'd say do another 50% change today or tomorrow and keep an eye out for infection. Good water conditions should help with recovery.

Also make sure it gets a bit more to eat. Some fresh veg in addition to a good algae wafer.

Kimmy19
08-28-2014, 01:16 PM
also all my pictures were the correct way round and then uploading them flipped them somehow......

Compass
08-28-2014, 01:17 PM
I have no driftwood for him/ her :)
should i think about getting some then? where is the best place?
water params? (sorry)
and also i just use tetra aquasafe at every water change...

and compass.... he nose look like on side has like fluff on it the same colour as his skin...

Water parameters: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph.

Slaphppy7
08-28-2014, 01:19 PM
This is not a BNP Slap, it's a Pterygoplichthys, probably a gibbiceps. The 12inch+ fish that's sold to unsuspecting beginners as an algae eater..

Fish looks rather skinny but not in terrible condition. I'd say do another 50% change today or tomorrow and keep an eye out for infection. Good water conditions should help with recovery.

Also make sure it gets a bit more to eat. Some fresh veg in addition to a good algae wafer.

Thanks for the clarification, dutchie...this fish will need to be re-homed soon

aquariumlover10
08-28-2014, 01:20 PM

Is that the same as a cactus pleco? I think that's what it is, because they have those red marks one the ends of there fins.

Kimmy19
08-28-2014, 01:25 PM
I thought it was a gibbiceps, but couldn't remember the name... today I am getting some lead weights to put some cucumber in and maybe algae wafers then instead of pellets or combination of both?
and i'm just most concerned about his fluff on his nose? any ideas?

aquariumlover10
08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
If you can get a couple different good shots of it I could tell, it may be a fungus lr something, youll definitley need driftwood, and a bigger tank with that thing.
I would recommend getting some malaysian driftwood from a petsmart/co or your lfs.

talldutchie
08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Is that the same as a cactus pleco? I think that's what it is, because they have those red marks one the ends of there fins.

No. Cactus pleco is Pseudacanthicus of some kind. Totally different animal.

talldutchie
08-28-2014, 02:34 PM
I thought it was a gibbiceps, but couldn't remember the name... today I am getting some lead weights to put some cucumber in and maybe algae wafers then instead of pellets or combination of both?
and i'm just most concerned about his fluff on his nose? any ideas?
Don''t use lead. Just stick a teaspoon trough the veg. See if you can get sweet potatoe or zucchini, much more nutrition.

See if your shop sells hikari algae wafers, the big ones.

The fluff is a cut or scrape gettitng infected, it's likely to clear up once you get the water quality under control but you may want to get online an order some catappa leaf.

Compass
08-28-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah most people just use a fork to hold the veggies down. Lead isn't good in an aquarium.

Kimmy19
08-28-2014, 03:53 PM
I will look into getting some driftwood and definitely use a spoon, thanks for the heads up :)
I will try get some better pictures of his nose thing for you.

Kimmy19
08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Oh also conditions are
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.25 ppm ( still reducing that due to them being over fed)
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 40 ppm.

Slaphppy7
08-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Trates are a bit high, do a WC to get them to 20 or less.

talldutchie
08-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Yup. Assuming clean tap water another 50% is in order. Nice and low pH on that, you're lucky!

These "plecos" are tough fish that heal well give them time and clean water.

Kimmy19
09-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Quick question.
Can you upload photos from mobile?
Also where's the best place for driftwood?
Thanks.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 01:23 PM
I don't tink you can from mobile, but you can from tapatalk, you can just go to desktop site on your mobile.

Slaphppy7
09-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Also where's the best place for driftwood?
Thanks.

Lots of places to buy DW online, many LFS stock it, too....contact Triton here on the AC, he's got some nice pieces, too

All the DW I have I found at a nearby lake

Kimmy19
09-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Lots of places to buy DW online, many LFS stock it, too....contact Triton here on the AC, he's got some nice pieces, too

All the DW I have I found at a nearby lake

I would have no idea what i was looking for also I have some more pictures of my pleco

Also sorry for them being the wrong way round...
I don't know how to change as they are right way round before I upload.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 02:43 PM
It kinda looks like bristle on a bristlenose pleco, but the actualy pleco doesn't look like a bristlenose.

Kimmy19
09-02-2014, 02:58 PM
It kinda looks like bristle on a bristlenose pleco, but the actualy pleco doesn't look like a bristlenose.

Yeah I am really confused.
Some other person said it may be a cut.
He is active and fine also I've have ordered some catappa leaves for him.

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 03:16 PM
yeah it could just be some weird hybrid or something.

talldutchie
09-02-2014, 06:41 PM

As I said before, it's a gibbiceps. What I see on these pictures doesn't look like an infection, it looks like a growth of some kind. The fish is still a bit on the chubby side but it's coloured up a lot. The water changes seem to have done the trick

aquariumlover10
09-02-2014, 06:43 PM
I know that's why I said they "look" like a bristlenoses bristles, it may be a cyst.

wayhilc
09-02-2014, 09:15 PM
As I said before, it's a gibbiceps. What I see on these pictures doesn't look like an infection, it looks like a growth of some kind. The fish is still a bit on the chubby side but it's coloured up a lot. The water changes seem to have done the trick

I agree, looks like a gibbiceps, but guess it could be a rubberlips with healed cut with scar tissue. Either way a good looking fish and if healthy , enjoy.

talldutchie
09-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Rubberlip is a common name for several chaetostoma species. Which this clearly is not.
It could be a healed wound but somehow I don't think so. Time will tell. If it is a scar it will not get bigger. If it slowly grows then it is indeed a growth.

The fish has clearly recovered a lot. Feed it fresh veg and start thinking of it's future when it grows to the adult size.

Kimmy19
09-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Rubberlip is a common name for several chaetostoma species. Which this clearly is not.
It could be a healed wound but somehow I don't think so. Time will tell. If it is a scar it will not get bigger. If it slowly grows then it is indeed a growth.

The fish has clearly recovered a lot. Feed it fresh veg and start thinking of it's future when it grows to the adult size.

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it :)
Surely the catappa leaves would help though maybe a bit?
It's strange, it's seems to some times be more fluffy looking and others times not so much.
Also veg like aubergine, cucumber, sweet potato (uncooked?).....

talldutchie
09-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I will keep an eye on it :)
Surely the catappa leaves would help though maybe a bit?

Not if it's cancer but infections tend to respond well to catappa as do fungus and some parasite issues.

It's strange, it's seems to some times be more fluffy looking and others times not so much.
Also veg like aubergine, cucumber, sweet potato (uncooked?).....

Not much nutrients in cucumber and no aubergine, never heard of any eating that. Sweet potatoe is supposed to work well (never did try, it's an expensive import from your country over here). I tend to use zucchini a lot as well as broccoli. Try and see what he likes. Use a teaspoon or a fork to keep it down.

Kimmy19
09-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I see if the catappa leaves do anything when I get them.
Also would you cook the veg or raw?
And a teaspoon will work well :)
Thanks

talldutchie
09-04-2014, 08:57 PM
I feed them veg from the table but raw or with a bit of boiling water poured over it will do

Kimmy19
09-11-2014, 05:49 AM
Well I am trying sweet potato at the minute in the tank and he is on and off eating it :)
And the growth or whatever it is on his nose sometimes is bigger sometimes smaller :/
I have put a catappa leaf in but am waiting for it to fall :)
I'm wondering whether to take my pleco somewhere got someone to have a look.......
x

talldutchie
09-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Very few vets know anything about fish. Sometimes a koi dealer will know someone who is any good with fish

Kimmy19
09-25-2014, 05:53 AM
Hi all.
After quite a few water changes and waiting, my plec' growth is not getting better so I have got some anti-fungus and fun rot and dosed the water once so far.....
That was Sunday, when should it start to take effect?
Many thanks
Kim.

Kimmy19
10-06-2014, 08:07 PM
hi all.
I have now dosed with anti fungus treatment twice at week intervals, took the carbon out the filter too but it doesn't seem to be working :/

Any ideas would be grately appreciated......
Many thanks.

Slaphppy7
10-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Clean water is best, as many water changes as you can do...at least every other day

gronlaura
10-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Can't help with the growth. Just an FYI, be careful how much broccoli or cauliflower your feed, as it will cause gas. I lost 2 BNPs to bloat because of too much broccoli (their fave food).

Boundava
10-07-2014, 03:02 PM
That looks like a growth, nothing you can treat, unfortunately. I give my plecos raw zucchini, and you can give them raw or blanched (pour boiled water over it) sweet potatoes. I don't know if you can find them-but mine really like the "Asian" variety for some reason. The only thing with "cooking" food is that it will break down and foul the water faster. They also like really leafy greens like mature Kale, collard, or mustard greens. I will give them broccoli only once in a long time, they don't like it as much as the zucchini or sweet potatoes.

Boundava
10-07-2014, 03:13 PM
I just did a search online and there is a plecoforum and I found this thread on someone who had a pleco with a growth and removed it on his own.

here is a link, and it seems like you may need to do this...

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9278

Hope it helps you and good luck.

Plecos
10-08-2014, 02:20 AM
That was nice of you to post that! The person that did the operation did good! I have been following this thread and did not know what to say.

Boundava
10-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I would hate to be in the same situation with any of my plecos-I hope this helps them out. I know I would do anything to save one of mine.

Kimmy19
10-14-2014, 05:35 AM
Can't help with the growth. Just an FYI, be careful how much broccoli or cauliflower your feed, as it will cause gas. I lost 2 BNPs to bloat because of too much broccoli (their fave food).

I don't feed too much broccoli, maybe like once a month :) but thanks for the heads up anyway. X

Kimmy19
10-14-2014, 05:41 AM
I just did a search online and there is a plecoforum and I found this thread on someone who had a pleco with a growth and removed it on his own.

here is a link, and it seems like you may need to do this...

http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9278

Thank you for this.....I'll have a read through and see...
His growth doesn't seem as big at the minute as the one described but maybe worth a go :)

Hope it helps you and good luck.

Thanks for this, I have had a read through and it's seems ok but the growth doesn't seem quite as big as the pleco on the forum.
But maybe worth a go.
X

gronlaura
10-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Another great forum -

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5