PDA

View Full Version : Well this is sad...

showmebutterfly
08-23-2014, 02:07 PM
I came to this part of the forum hoping to find lots of good information on brackish fish and brackish tanks. I was going to start planning a small saltwater tank, but since I am having trouble finding fish to stock it with that I'm excited about, I thought I would look into stocking possibilities for a brackish tank. Hmmm.... this just got more challenging.

wayhilc
08-23-2014, 02:30 PM
I thought about a brackish set up also, but decided on african river tank instead, eventually would like to do a sw tidal pool tank, that would be a challenge but real fun, lots of luck with brackish

showmebutterfly
08-23-2014, 02:36 PM
I am doing research on brackish aquariums and their inhabitants - posting a few links here that others might find helpful.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

http://www.fishchannel.com/setups/special/creating-a-brackish-habitat.aspx

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/brackish-fish-tank-setup.htm

wayhilc
08-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Thanks for links, I will for sure check them out, keep us posted on set up

showmebutterfly
08-23-2014, 04:05 PM
I thought about a brackish set up also, but decided on african river tank instead, eventually would like to do a sw tidal pool tank, that would be a challenge but real fun, lots of luck with brackish
Tidal pool setup sounds really neat and fun. I hope you get to do one of those! Your river tank setup is very exciting and I love reading the progress updates on that one.

Thanks for links, I will for sure check them out, keep us posted on set up
I will be looking for more links. Looks like information is sort of slim pickings compared to info for fw and sw setups.

I talked to my dad to see if he'd ever tried a brackish setup. He said he'd thought about it, but never tried one. He has had both fw and sw setups in the past.

A lot will boil down to expense and what can be stocked. I will try to take good notes as I research so I can post the info to try to help others. :)

showmebutterfly
08-23-2014, 10:22 PM
I had my settings set to just show posts from the last 100 days, so it was only showing one thread when I first pulled up this topic. That was sad. I did go and change the settings to show all posts. Read all of those and found one more helpful link. I guess now we can start fresh (or brackish as this case may be) with this topic. :19:

Link for info on brackish plants: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishSubWebIndex/bracplants.htm

aquariumlover10
08-23-2014, 10:30 PM
I know some fish that can be put in a 10g+ tank, if your still up for a sw.

wayhilc
08-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Guess you found a new cause, and we our new leaderthumbs2:

showmebutterfly
08-23-2014, 11:07 PM
I know some fish that can be put in a 10g+ tank, if your still up for a sw.

I appreciate that. I don't know that I'm up for a sw, but would be interested in knowing what all could be stocked in small sw tanks!

Guess you found a new cause, and we our new leaderthumbs2:

Oh my! This could end badly - I don't know where I'm going! :lol:

aquariumlover10
08-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Ok well of you ever need stock for a nano sw tank I have lots of suggestions

wayhilc
08-23-2014, 11:25 PM
If AL 10 doesn't become a marine biologist, he would make a good car saleman, he pushed sw tanks on everyone, lol

aquariumlover10
08-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Haha I know. I've been called a lawyer, a salesman, a marine biologist, and even a fish encyclopedia.

showmebutterfly
08-24-2014, 12:42 AM
I am still on the fence between sw and brackish. It seems to be easier for me to understand and figure out the brackish fish. Stocking suggestions for a 20L or 29g tropical marine tank would be welcome.

aquariumlover10
08-24-2014, 12:52 AM
Ok so if you do sw will they be fowlr or eventually reef?

showmebutterfly
08-24-2014, 01:04 AM
Probably just fowlr - that's simpler than a reef set up? I would be going for warm water, simple and low tech.

Cliff
08-24-2014, 01:31 AM
If you focus on the basics, it really doesn't matter if it is FOWLR or reef. If you take care of the basics, you will have a great and healthy set-up. YOu also have to keep in mind, practically all the fish we keep in the hobby come from, or near, the coral reefs and therefor will do best if you reproduce the water conditions as found in our reefs.

For a 20L (about 5 gallon) tank, I would only suggest some shrimp and a few different smaller snails

Some fish to consider for a 29 gallon tank would be: some of the gobies (such as clown or neon blue gobies) and some of the smaller cardinalfish ( such as the yellowstriped or longspine cardinalfish

showmebutterfly
08-24-2014, 01:39 AM
If you focus on the basics, it really doesn't matter if it is FOWLR or reef. If you take care of the basics, you will have a great and healthy set-up. YOu also have to keep in mind, practically all the fish we keep in the hobby come from, or near, the coral reefs and therefor will do best if you reproduce the water conditions as found in our reefs.

For a 20L (about 5 gallon) tank, I would only suggest some shrimp and a few different smaller snails

Some fish to consider for a 29 gallon tank would be: some of the gobies (such as clown or neon blue gobies) and some of the smaller cardinalfish ( such as the yellowstriped or longspine cardinalfish

Thank you. I meant 20 gallon long. I've been abbreviating it 20L, I guess I shouldn't do that. lol I will take another look at cardinalfish. I've only seen pics of the pajama cardinalfish and they were just a bit too cutesy.

showmebutterfly
08-24-2014, 02:01 AM
Are all cardinalfish small? I do like the yellowstriped cardinalfish, and the ring-tailed cardinalfish and Banggai cardinalfish too. If you could mix and match the colors might make for an interesting tank.

How do you figure stocking for sw? You can't stock as many sw fish as fw fish in any given sized tank, correct?

afro123
08-24-2014, 07:03 AM
Yeah that is true.