PDA

View Full Version : Angel gasping at top

morfin
11-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi there

One of my angels is gasping at the top of the water - not all the time but he looks like he is drinking in air. I think he is the one that hasn't been feeding - he doesn't seem to be able to work out how to get his fin out of the way for flake and completely ignores anything that sinks - has been in the tank a week and a half. Although I think he has been eating floor from the floor of the tank that we put in for the plecs. tank temp is 27C stable. Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrate 10. Did a water change tonight of 30% - this amount done every three days. stock - 8 panda corys, 7 lemon tetras, 7 odessa barbs, 3 bristlenoses, 1 dwarf gourami, 2 angels. All fish are small with none fully grown. Fluval 205. Air stone - which is an air wall so goes all the way along one side of the tank for aeration. any ideas - am I doing something wrong here?

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't have any idea since you have done a water change, have an airstone going and levels are all good. Angels like 80 degrees.......I don't know what 27C is.

I do larger water changes just once a week and that might be easier for you. I have no idea what size tank you have, either, but really, I can offer up no clues.

Angels do feed at the top more than other levels. Could be the barbs are making him nervous about coming to the top for food.

morfin
11-13-2007, 06:37 PM
I wondered that too, they do seem to shy away when the barbs go in for the food, the other angel has learnt to not get out of there way and if he had elbows those barbs would have some bruises. I'm trying to feed at the front and back of the tank, the barbs go there first, yet even when a little morsel floats towards him it's like he doesn't see it. Or he eats it and spits it out - and then glares at me! Tank is 50 gallon, and 27C is 80F so that should be good. Bloodworms tonight, I'll see how he goes with those.

smaug
11-13-2007, 11:04 PM
hi there,barbs are a no go with angels.they will eventually start ripping at there fins.I also understand that gouramis are not a good choice with angels.The barbs Im sure of,the gourami not so much.All your water specs look good,so mostly Id say they are stressed out from being around nippy fish.One water param you didnt mention is ph,that can be critical with angels.

morfin
11-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Hiya Ph is 6.8. The barbs are odessas and there hasn't been any fin nipping activity at all so far - and I say so far. In fact most of the time they just chase each other and the other angel has a go at them every now and then. But I take what you're saying on board - also the breeder that I got them from has them in tanks together and has never had a problem but I could always be the first!

smaug
11-14-2007, 01:42 AM
well ,your ph sounds good,and I guess there could be exceptions to nippy barbs,mine are hellions.I have them with tetras.I dont know what to tell ya about your gasping angel hopefully he will be ok.Good luck

morfin
11-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Update - been home an hour now and the angel hasn't been at the top gasping at all. Fed them bloodworms and he was eating really well which was great to see. He also went to the bottom of the tank and ate from there so he got his fair share. I think the first time I have seen him eat since we got them! Seems quite relaxed, but keeps going to the top - this time when he realises there is no more food he just tottles off! Maybe he was just practising how to get the food?