PDA

View Full Version : Missing shrimpies

WhistlingBadger
08-21-2014, 09:10 PM
So, I got seven amanos and one largish bamboo shrimp (and 1 ghost shrimp which got thrown in by accident) for my 55g yesterday. They are exceptionally cool; the amanos went right to work; the bamboo shrimp was sort of hiding out, presumably just feeling stressed and getting used to things. My daughter was tickled pink; I was very happy; even my wife was rather interested.

This morning, I found three amanos in the tank still pigging out and looking just fine; one amano dead on the floor. The bamboo shrimp and ghost shrimp were nowhere in sight. None of the fish were showing the slightest interest in the remaining ones, except for what appeared to be idle curiosity from the pentazonas and one of the dwarf gouramis. So I don't suspect predation.

Stand by for further updates, but it ain't lookin' too good for the home team.

Tom:shrug:

sheamurai
08-21-2014, 11:10 PM
amanos are very poke-about-some. I occasionally find shrimp on the floor too - I think they just climb out looking for bluer water (as opposed to greener grass) and don't realise they are going to fall off the edge of the world. I don't have a lid on my tank.

ThatTexanGuy
08-21-2014, 11:37 PM
So 5 missing shrimps? Thats crazy. Hopefully their all just hiding out in the tank!

cm12setx
08-21-2014, 11:40 PM
With as many nooks and cranys as you have in that tank I hope their playing hide and seek with you.

SueD
08-22-2014, 03:30 AM
Drives me crazy when I add new stuff to a tank and then for days after, I try to keep count. When I come up short, I'm always fearing the worst of course. I had 4 otos and decided to add 3 more. After the first few days, I kept only seeing 4 again. It was a few weeks later after one of my water changes that I saw 6. So maybe one didn't make it (no body found) but that was better than losing 3.

Bought 6 cories. Again, after a few days kept seeing just 5. Finally after a few weeks at one night's feeding, there were all 6, happily pigging out.

And my last tale: When I was taking a new plant I had bought out of the bag of water the LFS packaged it in, an amano shrimp fell to the floor (nice surprise). I popped him into the tank not sure he would survive with my angel in there. Sure enough 2 or more months go by without seeing this guy. But he somehow survived and by the time I finally saw him again, he was huge.

So planted tanks are wonderful - nice to look at and great for tank inhabitants. But can drive you crazy when you want a head count.

WhistlingBadger
08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Yep, it is a disadvantage of planted tanks!

But as of last night, with a little help from the Badgerling, we found five of them alive and well. Counting the one that I found the dog chewing on, that only leaves two of the little guys unaccounted for. Still no sign of the bamboo shrimp--he is about 3 inches long, so I'm guessing he got out...but he's so well camoed he could very well be hiding out somewhere. Time will tell. If he doesn't show up in a week or two, I plan to get another one. They are too cool not to have one.

On a positive note, though: The ones that remain are going to town on the black beard algae. Seriously. It's like throwing a bag of cookies into a preschool!

Slaphppy7
08-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Good deal...is the tank tightly lidded?

Bamboos are good at hiding, ESPECIALLY when it is time for them to moult...you won't see them at all for days, as if they disappeared into thin air (water?)

And when you DO find a moulted skin from one of those big boys, it'll throw you into a panic for a sec...looks just like a dead one, many times, the shell stays intact

WhistlingBadger
08-22-2014, 04:36 PM
No cover on my tank; it wasn't working with the floaties. So I guess it will be a process of natural selection: The smart shall survive. At least I can get them inexpensively. :)

Slaphppy7
08-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Floaties?...what the....

Compass
08-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Floaties?...what the....

Floating plants I assume.

Slaphppy7
08-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, I wouldn't try keeping shrimp without a lid...especially if there's floating plants, that makes escape even easier

WhistlingBadger
08-22-2014, 05:38 PM
I think I'm going to install come concertina wire around the rim, and guard towers at the corners. That oughta do it.

But really, since they do enjoy eating black beard, I can't imagine why they'd WANT to escape--my tank is paradise!

T

Slaphppy7
08-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Do you have evaporation issues?

And why are you avoiding the "what are floaties" question?? :hmm3grin2orange:

WhistlingBadger
08-22-2014, 06:16 PM
ha ha ha What, you want me to post a picture???

Floaties, shrimpies...Can you tell I'm back at work with elementary kids?

It evaporates some, but I just add a gallon or two over the course of the week, then fill it to the brim during weekly water changes. No big deal...the only real difficulty is keeping the water level high enough that the auxiliary filter doesn't splash the lily pads. They don't like being splashed.

T

Slaphppy7
08-22-2014, 06:50 PM
LOL, I guess the lily pads could be "floaties" too, if you think about it...forgot you had those

What about chemicals throughout the house that may be used?...cleaners and stuff?....no worries about the fumes?

WhistlingBadger
08-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Nah, we keep it pretty real around here, chemical-wise. We use bleach water to sanitize the kitchen, but that's about as strong as we get. I figure I don't want my five-year-old breathing anything that's going to kill my fish!

Slaphppy7
08-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Good deal...I don't have a vent over my stove, so anytime we cook something on the stovetop burners that adds a little grease to the air concerns me, too

Of course, the fish would probably savor the taste, lol

I constantly have a slight film on the surface of the water in my 40B, but I don't worry over it much...I'm fairly certain that it is from the Vaseline I use to lube the impellers on both filters

WhistlingBadger
09-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Good news! The bamboo shrimp was out last night and this morning. And we spotted two of the amanos, too. It seems they are hiding in the weeds and rock crevices (there are lots of both) during the day, and coming out at night to feed.

The bamboo seemed to be stirring detritus up off the bottom and catching it in his fans, instead of simply waving them in the current. I remember someone saying that meant there wasn't enough food in the water column. Any suggestions how to rectify that?

T

aquariumlover10
09-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Yea, you could get a greenwater culture and spot feed the bamboo.

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Good news! The bamboo shrimp was out last night and this morning. And we spotted two of the amanos, too. It seems they are hiding in the weeds and rock crevices (there are lots of both) during the day, and coming out at night to feed.

The bamboo seemed to be stirring detritus up off the bottom and catching it in his fans, instead of simply waving them in the current. I remember someone saying that meant there wasn't enough food in the water column. Any suggestions how to rectify that?

T

Mine do that too, don't worry about it...have you found a moult yet?...when you find moults, they're growing, and if they're growing, they're eating just fine

He may have JUST moulted, if he's been hiding for a while...it's how they "roll", lol

WhistlingBadger
09-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I have found a few molts from the amanos. Nothing from the bamboo. It will be interesting to see if he's out more now, though. This is only the second time I've seen him since I brought him home a few weeks ago.

WhistlingBadger
09-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Yea, you could get a greenwater culture and spot feed the bamboo.

I'm afraid my aquarium is too densely planted/scaped to do much spot feeding without causing serious damage...

Slaphppy7
09-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Try finely crushing some flake food next time you feed