PDA

View Full Version : Overfed Goldfish

Aquawoman
08-21-2014, 01:32 AM
My girls thought they should feed the goldfish while no one was looking. I came home to a cloudy tank, and upon closer inspection found three piles of algae wafers on the bottom with slow moving fish with round bellies. I immediately took out the excess and did about a 60 to 70% water change. My question is should I fast the fish for several days? Should I be concerned for their health?

Baxter
08-21-2014, 01:43 AM
Ok. Honestly, I'm still laughing.

I can't think of anything better than removing the excess and doing a water change.

Personally, I'd give the tank a bit of a fast as you suggested.

It's hard to teach kids the horrors of overeating unless they have already vomited because they've had too much watermelon or ice cream or whatever. But whether your kids are 6 or 40, giving fish too much food is something I think anyone can do.

aquariumlover10
08-21-2014, 01:55 AM
+1 to above and to add to it I would just feed very small amounts because if you ate aton and then didn't eat for several days you would feel worse then if you ate alittle every day.

madagascariensis
08-21-2014, 02:04 AM
I would definitely fast the goldfish and be vigilant for signs of internal infection or swim bladder issues, especially if the goldfish are fancy ones.

aquariumlover10
08-21-2014, 02:07 AM
oh and feed peas for a couple days to help/prevent swim bladder disease.

Aquawoman
08-21-2014, 02:28 AM
My goldfish love peas. I discovered it on youtube a few months back. Had to see if they would eat it. I give them peas a few times a week.

Baxter
08-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Please don't spend your waking/dreaming life expecting a catastrophe. Remove whatever excess you can, do the water change, and give the gang a chance to DJOY out what they enjoyed.

Do the basics....like you said.

Some extra food in the tank should not cause horrible world health organization ebola nightmares.

Breathe.

Water change.

Tell the kids to feed the neighbor's fish.

aquariumlover10
08-21-2014, 02:44 AM
Tell the kids to feed the neighbor's fish.
haha, :rofl:

Aquawoman
08-21-2014, 03:39 AM
Thank you everyone. Apparently I knew what to do, but needed some affirmation. The fish food is put up out of reach now. Luckily, I have another bag of algae wafers...not all wasted.