PDA

View Full Version : setting up community tank small south american species

Daffy61duck
08-20-2014, 11:44 PM
hello my name is stephanie. i have a 55 gal. tank with 15 neon tetras, live plants and artificial plants a huge wood ornament. I just recently lost my ghost fish jack had the tank to his self so now i'm looking for some fun tank mates for my neon tetras. Thanks so much for your input.:fish:

aquariumlover10
08-21-2014, 01:21 AM
Are loking for a couple big fish or ado of small fish? What species of live plants do you have? How long has this tank been setup? What food do you use? What lights do you have?

afro123
08-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Is the tank cyled?
And oh yeah... Welcome to the AC :)
Have fun

Compass
08-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Hello and welcome! Some good questions already asked. It helps us help you. Are you looking for more schooling fish or a few single or pair fish to compliment the neons?

gronlaura
08-21-2014, 03:38 PM
36061 to the AC!

If you post in either the "Beginner Freshwater" or "General Aquarium" forum you will get more answers.

Maybe a mod can move this thread?

steeler58
08-22-2014, 12:17 AM
What Gronlaura said, but welcome to the forum :)

Daffy61duck
08-22-2014, 01:43 PM
i'm looking for small schooling fish that would be compatible with the neon tetra. my light source is from my local pet store it's 32w 120v floramax light. After my Ghost knife fish died i removed all plants 50% water change because i didn't know what he died of gravel was also swept i hope that was enough. The tank has been set up for 5 years . so the only plant i have currently is bamboo and artificial plants I'd like to have some type of creeping plant that could carpet the bottom of the tank in areas . I've been doing research on the possible plants but the ones I'm interested in require c02 I'm not sure about. Jack the ghost fish was given bloodworms , flake food, pellets, and on occasion neons I know but he loved them anyway. I hope I answered all your questions i'm still learning one thing i have noticed is that i don't check the water quality on a regular schedule. Thanks for your input

Compass
08-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Well, you've got lots of options.

Rummy nose tetras
pretty much any other tetra
Cherry barbs
Hatchetfish
Some of the smaller loaches if you want something on the bottom
Cory cats for the bottom as well

That's just a few options.

Daffy61duck
08-22-2014, 01:52 PM
Yes I am looking for schooling fish. I'm also looking for a good clean up fish something that won't out grow my tank (55gal.) I'm thinking about corydoras. Thanks for any input

Compass
08-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Yes I am looking for schooling fish. I'm also looking for a good clean up fish something that won't out grow my tank (55gal.) I'm thinking about corydoras. Thanks for any input

Be aware that cories are not a clean up crew. At least not a good one. Sure they'll eat food that falls on the substrate if they find it. But they won't eat any waste. They would need to be fed too, I use sinking pellets for mine. Shrimp or snails would be better "clean up" crew. Keeping a good maintenance schedule with a good gravel vac would make a clean up crew unnecessary.

jaysee
08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
I think some people consider a cleanup crew to mean eating excess food, while others mean they want detritivores. Like was mentioned, Corys and other "clean up" fish should not rely on scraps to survive - they should be fed like any other fish.

Compass
08-22-2014, 02:05 PM
But cories are great little fish and a joy to have in your tank. Regardless of their usefulness. lol

Slaphppy7
08-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Knowing what your water parameters are (ph, hardness, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) would help in deciding which fish you can successfully keep.

aquariumlover10
08-22-2014, 02:35 PM
You could get about 20 kuhli loaches, 5 upside down catfish, a small school of congo tetras and to finish it off a pair of bolivian rams.

wayhilc
08-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Welcome to AC, will find lots of people here ready to help.

afro123
08-22-2014, 03:26 PM
You could get about 20 kuhli loaches, 5 upside down catfish, a small school of congo tetras and to finish it off a pair of bolivian rams.

I think congos dont get along great with plants.

aquariumlover10
08-29-2014, 03:36 PM
I wonder if he/she ditched and went to a different forum?