PDA

View Full Version : Java moss cave

Lordkontie
07-25-2006, 04:03 AM
I'd like to build a new cave for my clown loachs this is the idea I have for it. I'd just like to get some feedback and see if this would be safe to use in aquariums if possible.

Basicly the hight of the sides and back will be roughly 2" then I can either fill in the middle with 2" pvc or leave it open on the inside (not sure what loach like better a wide open cave or a cave with sections.)

If slate is ok to make this I'd definatly like to use it because I like the look and it would be a lot easier finding the pieces for it. I plan to grow some java moss on top of it so if it is possible I'd like just the back, sides, and pipe siliconed together and leave the top just sit on top so I can take it out for rinseing and pruneing

I'm new to aquariums so I'm not entirely sure if slate will work I've read that some stone can mess with the PH or even give off dissolved gasses.

So can anyone tell me if this is a good idea? Have suggestions or any improvements that I can make that'd be great

Thanks, George

thesarge
12-11-2006, 05:45 AM
Slate should be able to work as a medium according Joe Jaworski.

"The best thing to use is slate [to create a textured background]. It is light weight, it will not change the water chemistry, and will not discolor or absorb moisture."

Check out his site on how to build a paludarium. On the second page he talks about using slate.

http://www.joejaworski.com/palu/palu1.htm