PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse Cube

Ashurbarnipal
08-14-2014, 01:59 PM
So, this tank has actually already been set up for a little over 6 months, but it's actually my girlfriend's tank, and she hasn't put much in and we've recently decided to turn it into a seahorse tank. Right now about the only thing in it is algae since we haven't gotten an skimmer yet.

For now, I'm considering putting an easier Gorgonian in it like a purple brush gorgonian. I've already got a nice batch of Blue Ochtodes algae I could put in as well. I was also considering using a five gallon to start a brine shrimp colony for food, anyone ever started up one like that?

I also haven't fully decided on a species, I'm down to either a Kuda or an Erectus, though I'm leaning towards Erectus. Anyone have any input?

Spardas
09-06-2014, 08:57 PM
First question, how big is this tank?
Second question, do you have a refugium with this tank?

sheamurai
09-06-2014, 09:37 PM
when I looked into doing a nano seahorse tank, I decided there was only one real option - Hippocampus zosterae. Not sure of the volume of your tank tho.
I never did start the tank.

Ashurbarnipal
09-07-2014, 06:09 AM
About 36 or so. It's a custom cube I got on sale at my LFS. 20 wide and 21 inches deep. I've pretty much decided since I made this thread to go with an erectus pair and a dragonface pipefish. And it does not have a refugium, but I'm starting up some smaller tanks for culturing pods. plankton, and other goodies.

sheamurai
09-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Erectus are a larger species, 6-7" long. From my own research, I wouldn't keep them in that size of cube.

One suggestion tho, try and find captive bred, as they are on the red list (like so many reef species).

Ashurbarnipal
09-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Erectus are a larger species, 6-7" long. From my own research, I wouldn't keep them in that size of cube.

One suggestion tho, try and find captive bred, as they are on the red list (like so many reef species).

Yeah I've already found a local breeder who will supply me with them. I showed him my setup and said it'd be fine provided I used a good skimmer. I already have a reef octopus bh1000 on it so it should work.

Ashurbarnipal
09-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Well, since I have a thriving copepod colony in both the cube and a separate five gallon culturing tank I got a dragonface pipefish! I've had him for a week now and he's been eating constantly every single day. I'm keeping a close eye on the pods in the tank, gonna try to dump some from the culture tank in every other week for now.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10102310055886449&l=5558879031175776294

Ashurbarnipal
09-25-2014, 12:55 AM

A better picture of him hanging out in the blue ochtodes algae, which is one of his favorites

Plecos
09-25-2014, 12:59 AM
That is so cool looking! Thanks for the picture.

aquariumlover10
09-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Looks awesome, I like the algae too, do you plan on getting another?

Ashurbarnipal
09-25-2014, 02:41 AM
I think I'll stick with just him for now. Gonna get an erectus pair soon, I hope.

Cliff
09-25-2014, 02:45 AM
Great looking pipe fish

Ashurbarnipal
10-30-2014, 06:47 PM
So, I finally got a pair of seahorses a bit over a month ago and Fed ex messed up the order immensely, didn't arrive until about 3 PM. One of them died the next day, but the other is still doing great, eating twice every day. I recently found a much larger erectus at an LFS, and they claimed it was captive bred, but I can't get it to touch mysis or brine even using all the tricks to make it look alive. But I've seen it eating what I presume are amphipods. Even tried (several times!) to eat a baby bristleworm, though he spit that right out. I dunno what to do, live brine maybe?