PDA

View Full Version : bolivian ram woes

Incredulous_Ed
11-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, I just bought four from a reputable LFS, and now they are gasping and just kinda hanging around. What should I do???

Fishalicious
11-12-2007, 11:21 PM
If they are gasping then I would immediately add an airstone for a few hours... after that and no change I would change some water (20%) Did you let them get used to your water before putting then in by putting little amounts in their bag every 10 minutes for 40 mintes?

Maybe the difference in parameters is a little much at once for them... give them more time to settle and get used to the water..

I have my fingers crossed here all goes well xx

Incredulous_Ed
11-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks jess.....I did aclimiate them about 40 minutes by adding some tank water to their bag every ten minutes. The guy at the store said to not float the bag in the water because they fill it with pur oxygen, and the carbon dioxide would kill the fish. Something like that.

If I don't have an air stone can I just add a tube attached to my air pump??

Incredulous_Ed
11-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Now that I looka t them more closely, they aren't gasping that much, just hanging around. Is this bad??

Fishalicious
11-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks jess.....I did aclimiate them about 40 minutes by adding some tank water to their bag every ten minutes. The guy at the store said to not float the bag in the water because they fill it with pur oxygen, and the carbon dioxide would kill the fish.

What a weird comment - as soon as you open the bag the oxygen escapes which you do to float it otherwise you can't add water to the bag from your tank.. mmmhh

From the pic they look alright - stressed - but that is normal with moving into a new tank... they might just be taking a bit longer to get used to it all.. if they have already stopped gasping (which is also a sign of stress) I would leave them to it and 'try' not to worry too much xxxxx Just keep an eye on them in case it changes again ..

Incredulous_Ed
11-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Well, they have started to pick at the plants, which I guess is good. Water change???

Fishalicious
11-13-2007, 12:20 AM
If they are picking at the plants then they are starting to investigate their new surroundings so definately a good sign :thumb:

I wouldn't disrupt anything further like doing a water change unless they don't pick up by the next day... a water change might stress them more again...

Enjoy your new beauties xxxxx

Incredulous_Ed
11-13-2007, 12:21 AM
thank you Jess!!!