PDA

View Full Version : O2 testing

jaysee
08-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Alright I got the liquid O2 kit from amazon - salifert is the company and they make an array of tests.

First test was done on the living room 125 - no plants, high water level, 3 canister filters, oval lengthwise flow. 8 ppm.

I did promise pictures and I will deliver.

Baxter
08-06-2014, 11:59 PM
I saw you mention that you were interested in doing this research on another thread. Am really looking forward to your shares--whatever you discover, about the test, about 02, about any "variable" you choose to investigate.

In all my years, I've never measured O2 levels--not even once. Looking forward to some vicarious learning as you dig in and do the hard part. :)

I don't think I have enough points to give you a mug of beer or a fish or anything really (I still don't know how it all works) but hope these few words from a new guy are a little bit of something to cheer you on!

fish gazer
08-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks for starting the thread! Do you have a link for the test kit?

I'm so curious what you're going to find. I'm gonna try and get a tester as well and try with low water, high water, 1 filter on, 2 filters on, and with canopy on the tank if I ever make one. (I have to test your response!)

What are the ranges of ppm, what's good and what's bad?

I like this one, maybe I'll get it in my dreams

http://www.bigalspets.ca/sm600-portable-dissolved-oxygen-meter.html

jaysee
08-07-2014, 12:17 AM
The range is 2-15 and 8 is ideal for freshwater. The kit includes 3 bottles to be used in succession, along with a container for mixing and a syringe for collecting samples.

jaysee
08-07-2014, 12:35 AM

29 gallon quarantine tank, just finished a 2 week heat treatment but the water was low before that.

Well over 8.

jaysee
08-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Today after work I am going to play with the 20 gallon QT. Water level is moderately high, so I will test there then remove water and test again tomorrow.

Compass
08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Really cool. I should probably get one of these for my river tank. High oxygen is a must.

Slaphppy7
08-07-2014, 03:11 PM
I suspect the QT is unplanted, no?...for now, you are just experimenting with the waterfall/agitation effect by lowering the water level?

I'm really interested in planted vs. non-planted O2 levels in different tanks

Thanks for starting this, I'm subscribed

jaysee
08-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Only plants I have are in that 29 gallon above, so the whole planted vs non planted will have to come from someone else :-)

Since my tanks are all unheated, I'll use the quarantine tanks to play with temperature as well.

Slaphppy7
08-07-2014, 03:27 PM
I see...so we can safely assume the 02 levels in the 125 are from the atmosphere of the room it's in, through water agitation?

jaysee
08-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Yes that is correct. Both 125s are filter only and the 90 has java moss. All three have multiple canisters. Then there are the little support tanks - 10 to 29 gallons, filtered with Aquaclears.

All tanks have glass tops, none have air stones or Powerheads.

fish gazer
08-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Another interesting variable could be day and night testing since oxygen levels change during these times. I think it's the lowest at night or early morning before the lights come on.

Slaphppy7
08-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Hmm, very interesting....link to an article you read?

jaysee
08-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I've only heard that for planted tanks.

I got tied up at the boat yard yesterday and felt bad about the extra fishing trip today so I walked the dogs AND took them to the dog park. I'll play with the tanks this weekend some time.

fish gazer
08-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Well, not really a specific link that I can remember, just an accumulation of things I've read on how plants give off oxygen during the day and consume it at night. When I was adding floating plants I did some research of how just like in lakes and rivers where these floating plants get out of control, fish actually start dying off from oxygen deprevation. That's why you should only allow a certain percentage of plants to cover the tank, I forget how much it was exactly. The fish end up suffering during the night if it's way too much. I'm sure size and type of plant have to be taken into account as well.

So I figure at night, it's the lowest o2 content, but easier to perform the test early morning, before the lights come on or the sun starts shining through.

Compass
08-08-2014, 01:43 PM
I would think the danger in nature is more so than in our tanks. Lakes and ponds where vegetation is growing out of control are usually pretty stagnant. So there is less oxygen added to the water in the first place. While our tank filters should be able to add enough oxygen to accommodate the plants and the fish at night.

fish gazer
08-08-2014, 01:46 PM
But then again, to be able to keep healthy floating plants for example, the water has to be pretty still. Therefore, not much surface agitation... Bah, I dunno, lol..

Compass
08-08-2014, 01:49 PM
But then again, to be able to keep healthy floating plants for example, the water has to be pretty still. Therefore, not much surface agitation... Bah, I dunno, lol..

lol So many variables. Hurts your head. You are right that they don't like the water movement. Though I have found that if you can get enough of the floating plant to start with you don't have to change your filter circulation. The plants will hold each other in place. When I had one small water sprite it kept getting knocked down into the tank and stuck on the bottom. Then I added a huge water sprite. It's big enough to handle it and it holds all the little ones up too.

jaysee
08-08-2014, 01:51 PM
In my limited plant experience (with java moss), overgrowth certainly can negatively impact water quality by reducing circulation.

Compass
08-08-2014, 01:57 PM
In my limited plant experience (with java moss), overgrowth certainly can negatively impact water quality by reducing circulation.

Oh yeah I can certainly see java moss bogging down a tank.

jaysee
08-08-2014, 01:59 PM
At one point it took up half of a 125 - top to bottom, front to back, and nearly 3 feet long. The tank is now java moss free :-)

Compass
08-08-2014, 02:06 PM
At one point it took up half of a 125 - top to bottom, front to back, and nearly 3 feet long. The tank is now java moss free :-)

DANG! That is some thick stuff. lol I bet you could have had one serious shrimp colony.

jaysee
08-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Okay I tested the 20 high QT. Water is a little low.

I'm terrible at guessing values from different shades of a color.

cm12setx
08-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Well, not really a specific link that I can remember, just an accumulation of things I've read on how plants give off oxygen during the day and consume it at night. When I was adding floating plants I did some research of how just like in lakes and rivers where these floating plants get out of control, fish actuallystart dying off from oxygen deprevation. That's why you should only allow a certain percentage of plants to cover the tank, I forget how much it was exactly. The fish end up suffering during the night if it's way too much.[ I'm sure size and type of plant have to be taken into account as well.

So I figure at night, it's the lowest o2 content, but easier to perform the test early morning, before the lights come on or the sun starts shining through.

This is what happened to kevinVA a long time ago on one of his tanks.

cm12setx
08-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Jaysee this is pretty intresting and look forward to more results when you get them. Your last pic looks imo bewteen 6 to 8. Good job.

jaysee
08-08-2014, 11:02 PM
See it looked between 8 and 12 to me :-)

gronlaura
08-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Are there fish in these 2 tanks? If there are no fish, you will show higher oxygen levels as there aren't any inhabitants using up the oxygen in the water. The test needs to be done in a tank with fish.

jaysee
08-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Yes there's a 6 inch bichir and a large Angelicus loach in the 29 and a decent size tiger loach in the 20, which will be returned next time I go back to the far fish store.

Tests on show tanks will have to wait till I get time to do water changes.

jaysee
08-09-2014, 04:16 AM
This is my.....beaslbob tank. Sorta. Those of you who have been around fish forums a little while probably know who I'm talking about.

And before I share the details of this tank, I should mention that I have been fishing for 25 years, working on a fishing boat for 8 years now. Fish are not pets for me. Literally, I've ("inhumanely" ) killed thousands of fish....so to be overly concerned about aquarium fishs deaths would be pretty hypocritical of me.

Reject tank - 20 long (about 2/3 full now) with a large boesmani rainbow and a pearl gourami. They were pulled from the tank for observation and will not be going back to the show tank. No lights, No plants. While the tank is mature, I couldn't tell you the last time the filter ran on the tank. Couldn't tell you the last time the water was changed. My guess is it's been about the same for both. Maybe 8 months?

Experimenting with different shots. Which is best?

I would have thought it be lower.

Baxter
08-10-2014, 04:40 AM
Not a big fan of the topdown shot. Prefer the side or 3/4 view. Personal preference with no scientific justification.

I also find judging color comparisons to be an exercise in frustration. Have you thought about doing some other baseline tests--
like really cold turbulent tap water, tank water in the middle, and some really hot, saline water. Might at least give some idea of what the color in the cup looks like at other sides of the test strip. If you got a good pic, it might give you something for reference for future tests. No one knows what a 4 or a 12 looks like until they've seen it, huh? IDK, just tossing ideas.

Wondering....
Now that you've got a place to start (baselines across the tanks), what do you want to test next?
(I've got a couple of thoughts, but it's not my funtime cause I've got no $$ on the track.)

jaysee
08-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Okay moved the fish out of the 29 gallon quarantine today, did a water change and am now acclimating 4 kissing gouramis. Water level will start high - for standardization high means to the lower edge of the trim, so that the surface is not seen when viewing from the front. I will test tomorrow, then remove some water and retest the following day.

Additionally, since these new fish will be getting a heat treatment, I will raise the water back to high before hand and then test the following day. Then I will remove water and then test again.

wayhilc
08-13-2014, 10:06 AM
I notice your test sample container is rather large, does it have to be, in other words can a smaller one be used, only ask because I have hard time with color gradation also, found the smaller the sample the easier it was for me to read it.

jaysee
08-13-2014, 10:38 AM
That's what came with the kit. The solution has to be swirled so that's probably why it's bigger than it seems it needs to be.

fish gazer
08-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Hey jaysee. Do you have any conclusions to your tests? I still have my water level at max height. What do you think?

jaysee
08-25-2014, 01:33 AM
Ive been a little preoccupied as of late. Now that the gouramis have been in the tank for a little ill test it, remove water and test again.

I honestly don't think it makes much of a difference.

wayhilc
08-25-2014, 02:01 AM
Hey man, would like to see you pull all this together in somewhat of a flow or spread sheet. It sounds like you have conducted a pretty well controlled study , really interested in whole test process. That's a pretty big request I know.

jaysee
08-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Tested the 29.

Directions say to view from above.