PDA

View Full Version : Another Bolivian Ram?

fish gazer
08-06-2014, 05:05 PM
I currently have a single male bolivian ram and was wondering if it would be safe to add another male or female to a 29g while he is small, he's about 2" and I've had him for about a month. There's only one real cave and driftwood and the ram is maybe about 2". He doesn't sit in the cave at all, just explores it at times. I'm just playing with the idea of adding another one, seeing my options.

1. Has my ram already claimed the whole tank?
2. If he bullies the other male ram, will it really end in death/illness because of the stress?
3. If it's a female, will he be just as terretorial with her?
4. I do not want eggs, is there a chance that they will they pair up eventually?

fish gazer
08-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Also, I will maybe upgrading to a 30g or 40g depending on how the fish grow out. They're all pretty small right now.

cm12setx
08-06-2014, 10:57 PM
I currently have a single male bolivian ram and was wondering if it would be safe to add another male or female to a 29g while he is small, he's about 2" and I've had him for about a month. There's only one real cave and driftwood and the ram is maybe about 2". He doesn't sit in the cave at all, just explores it at times. I'm just playing with the idea of adding another one, seeing my options.

1. Has my ram already claimed the whole tank?he just might have. But structure will give more than one area to claim
2. If he bullies the other male ram, will it really end in death/illness because of the stress?if they dont get along yes it might happen.
3. If it's a female, will he be just as terretorial with her?he could be.just as bad but if he likes her ok.
4. I do not want eggs, is there a chance that they will they pair up eventually?

if you have other fish the can eat eggs faster then you can exepct. I have lost three spwans to other fish.

fish gazer
08-06-2014, 11:54 PM
I don't want to see any fighting in there at all and really don't want to change the layout of the tank much since I'm trying to keep it on the simple side...I really wish rams were schooling fish or something, lol. I think I might have keep thinking of another option...

cm12setx
08-07-2014, 12:18 AM
You bont have to change anything . All rams are different you just dont know what you might get. The way your tank is it will be good as in lay out.

fish gazer
08-07-2014, 12:33 AM
*Some background info. I started out with what I thought were a male and female because they followed each other around at the lfs. The smaller one died. After a werk they ended up fighting each other everyday.

The second one I added was what I thought was a smaller female but was probably a male and lived behind the heater not eating and eventually died.

They all also all showed signs of scratching and heavy breathing and yawning. Maybe they died of flukes. I have no idea. My new one showed the same symptons and I treated it with paraguard after doing so much research. And no scratching since.

I still wanted to try rams. But can't decide. I also learned alot since I started. The deaths could have been from MANY things I did wrong.

That was my own experience. Maybe I can give it another shot?

cm12setx
08-07-2014, 02:11 AM
I hope you didnt take my last post wrong. I ment the behivor and personality is unique for each ram. Not health , i git lucky with my first pair got along great but bib nit breed. The female passed and when i introduce a new female two months later the male chased her for a min, then the light went off in ,his head. And he went a look at me im a man. Now they have spawned three times. And live in harmony.

jaysee
08-07-2014, 03:04 AM
I've found rams (and most other fish) to fall inline with how they "should" act. Yes there are rogue fish but you can expect certain things from certain fish for sure.

fish gazer
08-08-2014, 04:47 AM
Ya, I guess I would just have to try and see, but if I know what's going to end up happening, or probably going to end up happening, I'd rather not. It's tricky. I will keep thinking about it. Just don't want to set them up for failure.

Taurus
08-08-2014, 12:41 PM
There's nothing wrong with keeping a single male bolivian ram. He'll be fine if that's the path you choose to take.

JudiJetson
08-08-2014, 01:26 PM
+1 I've had a single Bolivian Ram in my community tank for well over one year and it is thriving