PDA

View Full Version : Is my pleco sick?

Trwood12
08-02-2014, 10:30 PM
I recently purchased a young clown pleco from my local fish store. I have had him for about a week and a half and just recently noticed that his (or her) scales on the tale stick out just a little bit. I am not sure if they were like this when I got it. Is this normal in clown plecos or is it the sign of some disease? (S)he has not exhibited any abnormal behavior as far as I know. I am new to the world of plecos and would like some insight from more experienced owners. Also some info on sexing plecos would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

cm12setx
08-02-2014, 10:47 PM
A clown pleco diet is a bit different from the searches i have done . More fiber and in likes too eat soft wood. I have one and it hides in the tank on a over hang of driftwood. More answers to follow.

Trwood12
08-02-2014, 11:53 PM
A clown pleco diet is a bit different from the searches i have done . More fiber and in likes too eat soft wood. I have one and it hides in the tank on a over hang of driftwood. More answers to follow.
Thank you. Does yours have these rough scales on its tale?

cm12setx
08-03-2014, 12:00 AM
I really dont know i have had mine fkr two months and seen him four times.i will try to find him tonight.

cm12setx
08-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Here is a link for more info. /www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=734

talldutchie
08-03-2014, 05:53 AM
And there's the answer as well:

Like all members of the genus, males grow elongated interopercular odontodes during the breeding season. Males develop noticeable odontodes along the dorsum as well.

The fish in that picture is very male!

Trwood12
08-03-2014, 06:22 AM
And there's the answer as well:

Like all members of the genus, males grow elongated interopercular odontodes during the breeding season. Males develop noticeable odontodes along the dorsum as well.

The fish in that picture is very male!
Thanks! Really appreciate the help.

cm12setx
08-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Talldutchie thank you for the help also.

talldutchie
08-03-2014, 08:14 PM
yw!

Not sure if it's young fish. You could see if you can find a female. Might be nice to have a litter or two.