PDA

View Full Version : Suprising find in an "empty" tank

mariposa
11-12-2007, 07:43 PM
So I moved my platys and danios to their new big tank about 2 weeks ago. And this weekend my kids told me there were fish in the old 10 gal. I never did clean all the old water out...(yea lazy me lol) as I was planning on turning the 10 into a tank specifically for ADFs. Ok so neway today just a few mins ago my 8 year old swears there are fish in the 10 gal and I told him no there wasnt I moved them and he was imagining things and just to prove it I walked over and my jaw hits the floor as there are unmistakably 3 sunset platys of the teeny tiniest proportions in my tank and a swarm of almost invisible to the naked eye danio babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You should see the "told you so" look my 2nd grader shot me with a big ole grin accompanying it. lol. So now I'm wondering what the heck should I do? This tanks filter isnt running nor is the heater. Its just been sitting waiting on me to put the plants back in and change the water for the frogs. So now I've inadvertently become a fish breeder. I dont know if you guys read my post on my platys that seemed in love a while back but apparently they were very much in love and so were some of my danios! I'm wondering now if the reason I've never seen any babies before is that they were...***gulp*** EATEN!?!?! I didnt want babies b/c I dont know what I'm going to do with a ton of fish but now I cant just very well knowingly let them die. The platys I will def keep since I have just a very few small fish in a large tank I have more than enough room for them but I dont want the million danios. lol So...where do I go from here??....and hopefully the cheap route I'm kinda broke at the moment. :( Oh, I read about the crushed fish flakes..I'll def put some of those in...so now I'm thinking the algea wafer I threw in and the dried blood worms wont be eaten? Should I try to scoop out the blood worms and algea or leave them? Should I try to cover the end of my filter with some kind of mesh and turn it back on? I'm pretty much at a loss here, because I never expected to have fry I never did any reading up on it...suppose this would be a good time huh? I dont even know what the parameters of the water is right now...apparently good enough to hatch and live for a couple days at least.

zackish
11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Throw the heater back on and put a nylon over the filter and run that again. Maybe a very small water change would be good too, just don't suck up any babies.

mariposa
11-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok Thanks! I need to go to the store so I'll pick up some knee high stockings. ;) They are usually pretty cheap so I wouldnt mind parting with them. I probably will do a water change but instead of using the hose I'll dip with a cup and check before dumping for any babies. Still leaves me with the whole..what am I going to do with these babies when they grow up? lol. Oh, should I try to put some plants back in for them to hide behind?

Lady Hobbs
11-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Very cute.
What a find, huh?

mariposa
11-12-2007, 10:44 PM
One more quick question...how is it possible for these babies to have survived so long? I took the parents out 2 weeks ago. I haven't put any food in since then. Unless they were living off algae or bits of food dropped to the bottom..the weird part is that I vacuumed the bottom of this tank to get out the major bits of poo and other gunk when I took the fish out..how did I not see eggs?! This is a mystery to my beginners mind! I'm still more than a little shocked as I watch these tiny (and I mean TINY) fish swimming in this tank seemingly out of the blue! lol Thanks for the help. This is an awesome forum. (((Hugs to all you guys)))

mariposa
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Very cute.
What a find, huh?

Yes Lady H. You can imagine my surprise! lol. Its kinda neat though. Im just suprised at the platys. I know they are live bearers so they must have just given birth when I took them out and some how 3 have made it this far!

KazAngel
12-21-2007, 11:05 PM
wow thats amazing if only my angles were as easy to breed!! lol