PDA

View Full Version : Something ate my shrimp..

Bavvh
07-27-2014, 08:37 PM
I thought I had pretty peaceful fish, but I could be wrong? Currently in the tank (40 long lightly planted, plenty of hiding spots) are:
One lemon tetra
3 black lined rasboras
6 emerald corys
4 otocinclus
2 gobys of indeterminate species
a handful of feeder guppies
1 wayward topminnow
3 ghost shrimp
4 cherry barbs

I put the ghost shrimp in the tank last month when it was first stocked, and they've been fine. I added 4 Red Cherry Shrimp yesterday, and this morning I found two guppies fighting over what was left of one :( I *thought* the fish I had wouldn't really bother the shrimp, especially since the ghost shrimp have lived pretty peacefully so far. I know that there's no 100% safe fish for shrimp except Otos, but I'm a little distressed that one got taken out the next day. Who's the likely culprit here? I'd like to nip the shrimp eating thing in the bud.

Slaphppy7
07-27-2014, 08:44 PM
I'd suspect the gobys, they'll pick at/try to eat anything that's the right size, and they love shrimp

But not sure why they haven't gone after the ghost shrimp...yet

Bavvh
07-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Ugh, awesome. I love the gobys. They're only about an inch long and hide under the logs most of the time, so they were at the bottom of the suspect list.

Slaphppy7
07-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Do a Google search for gobys and shrimp, there's some good info out there

madagascariensis
07-28-2014, 12:18 AM
asides from the gobies and topminnow, which are very broad classifications, none of your fish are aggressive.
Asides from the gobies, the topminnow is my suspect depending on its size.
it could also just be that one shrimp died due to transport and relocation stress and the guppies simply are scavenging.

Bavvh
07-29-2014, 04:30 AM
They are pretty broad. We can't figure out exactly what type they are.
I suspect that the one that died did so after introducing it to the tank, and the fish just scavenged it. I've only seen two of the 4 remaining today, but one of my Otos died as well. Keeping an eye on things for now. Hopefully they aren't reacting to something introduced with the plants.

aquariumlover10
08-23-2014, 10:12 PM
I know this is a old thread but the ghost shrimp will eat rcs.