PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting some Otos

markbob
11-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Originally I was planning on getting a clown pleco for alge control in my tank until I found out that they really aren't much for alge eaters. I am now leaning towards a couple of Otos. I have a 28 gallon tank with 6 cories, and 12 cardinal tetras. How many otos would be safe in terms of stocking and there being enough alge for them. Obviously I will supliment their diet with alge pellets but I want them to eat as much of the natural alge as possible.

squirt_12
11-12-2007, 02:56 AM
well seeing as they get to be about 2 inches big you could get around 6-10 of them....they look cool when they are stuck on the glass together. Also you would have to feed them algae pellets (like you said you would), zuchinni, cucumber.

MeganL3985
11-12-2007, 03:12 AM
Mine, the previously "lone oto" who i've had since July is only about an inch and a half long, he has been that size and stayed that size since I got him in July. They stay fairly small....I have 5 in my 20 gallon now.

Nick_Pavlovski
11-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I got me an Oto on Saturday, so inspired was I by a website about Otos that was posted here earlier last week.

That website says they grow to 2 inches max.

SkarloeysMom
11-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think otos add that much of a bio load so I think you could add a nice size school of 6 or so to your 28g without a problem. But with a dozen bottom feeders you will definitely need to feed them wafers especially if your tank is pretty new.

I have a lone oto too who seems to be doing really well but I'm going to go ahead and get him 2 friends and see what happens. Maybe I'll do that today.
My oto is also only about an inch and a half and hasn't really grown much. I'll probably ask the PS person to pick me out the smallest 2 he can find since I'll be pretty fully stocked with a couple more otos.

zackish
11-12-2007, 04:38 PM
I would just go with a few because honestly, I haven't had much luck with them.

markbob
11-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I feed the cories sinking wafers already which the tetras try to sneak in on. The tetras get their own food too but haven't quite figured out to snag it before it hits the ground and becomes cory food. I figure that I'll have to get some alge wafers for the otos but I may have to rest them on the leaves of plants or something so the cories don't get them. Silly cories eat more than my beagle.

MeganL3985
11-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah my tetra's pick at the wafers too! lol

spudbuds
11-12-2007, 06:36 PM
I haven't had any luck feeding my otos with algae wafers. All the other fish swarm them and the otos don't seem interested. I like your idea of putting them on a plant. I had to put some zucchini in the tank and that did the trick.

Rue
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
This last group of otos I got are doing better...I think I have 5...but I've been feeding algae tabs daily for them...don't know if that's helping or not...but it's certainly not hurting!

zackish
11-12-2007, 06:49 PM
My shrimp can come out and grab a half of a wafer.