PDA

View Full Version : new corys. what kind?



blu
11-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I got 3 new corys today but they were listed as spotted so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind they are. Sorry about the blurry pics

Tolley
11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
i think their julii cories but i could be wrong

gm72
11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Agreed, Julii.

squirt_12
11-11-2007, 09:23 PM
yup...def. julii cories.

SkarloeysMom
11-11-2007, 09:39 PM
i vote juli cory too. Did you get them at PetSmart? I got a juli when I was trying to buy spotted corys too! I got 4 spotted and 1 juli. The weird thing is that they don't even sell julis.

Fishalicious
11-11-2007, 09:46 PM
My vote is for the trilineatus

If you visit your local aquarist establishment and you are greeted with a tank labelled, Corydoras julii, you can bet that in 95% of the cases that you will be looking at Corydoras trilineatus, unless the shop owner is very much "into" cats and so that will take care of the other 5%!

Julii are very hard to find and not very commonly sold in aqua shops

Algenco
11-11-2007, 09:53 PM
My vote is for the trilineatus

If you visit your local aquarist establishment and you are greeted with a tank labelled, Corydoras julii, you can bet that in 95% of the cases that you will be looking at Corydoras trilineatus, unless the shop owner is very much "into" cats and so that will take care of the other 5%!

Julii are very hard to find and not very commonly sold in aqua shops

Agreed, true Julii's fetch a higher price and are rarely seen in fish shops

squirt_12
11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Julii are very hard to find and not very commonly sold in aqua shops
i see Juliis all of the time...where i live they are very common....that is the most common one i see.

gm72
11-11-2007, 10:11 PM
My vote is for the trilineatus...Julii are very hard to find and not very commonly sold in aqua shops

In looking at pictures of both I'm not clear on the differences. Can you elaborate on the differences? Julii are smaller, but the markings seem almost identical?

markbob
11-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Okay, I have corys too that were labled as spotted. I never questioned it but now I'm curious, is spotted just a generic term? If so, I'll have to post pics of mine to get a consensus as to what they are.

blu
11-11-2007, 11:55 PM
They were just labeled as spotted.I got them at a lfs for about $2.49 but since they dont know what they are I guess they should be cheap.They just dont quite look like juliis or trilineatus to me.I was thinking trilineatus but the pattern on the head doesnt look quite like them.

can anyone tell if they are male or female or tell me how to identify them?

~Erik3.8.07~
11-12-2007, 12:07 AM
julii's and trilineatus look exactly the same to me, i dont get what the difference is?

blu
11-12-2007, 12:13 AM
the difference is in the pattern.Juliis are supposed to have regular spots on there head and trilineatus have kindof a reticulated patern.Theres a difference in the horizontal line to.THe problem Im having is when I look it up Im seeing both pattens for both fish. I think its more likely that I have trilineatus though even if the pattern doesnt fit exactly but its pretty close.

blu
11-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I just noticed that there is difference between mine. On one the spots on its head are mainly regular and the spots on the other 2 are more reticulated. And on the one with regular spots its stripe is less bold than the other two.
Is it possible that I have both?
The difference in them can be seen pretty well in this picture.

spudbuds
11-12-2007, 05:44 AM
They both look like trilineatus to me. My LFS was selling trilineatus as schultzis, but they aren't even close. They did have juliis properly labeled though and they were clearly different looking in person.

Here's a pretty good shot of the trilineatus:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=3069

And here's a julii:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=187

Not sure if that helps, but my vote is for trilineatus.
- Bill

Fishalicious
11-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Great Pics Spudbuds...

The Julli has tiny little dots close together (look like pepper dots) that are not as strong patterend they never have lines only spots - the trilineatus has strong black dots that are further apart and the head has more of a pattern although when they are very young this is also more spotted...

My vote is stil for the trilineatus (you can see lines on the foto's as well as a strong pattern) and as Julli's are quite rare and expensive

blu
11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I think I do agree on trilineatus even if there are slight differences. One thing though is it possible that b/c they are so young(1in)that their pattern has not fully established and it may change to look more like a typical trilineatus?

thanks for everyones help in indentifying them.

~Erik3.8.07~
11-12-2007, 04:23 PM
ooooh i see the difference now and that would deffinitely make the one i have a trilineatus, which is good cause i think they look better anyways :)

gm72
11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
They both look like trilineatus to me. My LFS was selling trilineatus as schultzis, but they aren't even close. They did have juliis properly labeled though and they were clearly different looking in person.

Here's a pretty good shot of the trilineatus:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=3069

And here's a julii:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=187

Not sure if that helps, but my vote is for trilineatus.
- Bill

Ahhh, there we go. Great pictures and now I see the differences. Thanks a lot for the education!

spudbuds
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Glad I could finally send some info the other way.

Erik - I like the trilineatus better then the juliis too. And they're cheaper, so it's a win-win.

Enjoy your new cories, blu.