PDA

View Full Version : Got some more Oto's today

MeganL3985
11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I got 4 more oto's to go with my lonely one. They are sooo tiny! I'll post some pics when I can.

Lol Oh god.....and the chick working at petsmart that was getting my fish, asked me which ones I wanted and I said "the Otocinclus catfish" she says "Where are they?" I point to the tank at the end and say in that tank. So she starts pulling out the guppies that were in the tank with the otos. First of all she drops one out of the net, it sticks to the outside of the tank, she goes to get it off and it falls on the floor...so she picks it up and throws it right back in the tank! My mouth is just wide open at this point! so she starts scooping the guppies in the box and says "You wanted these fish right?" I'm like "No....those are guppies, I want the other ones...the otocinclus cat fish on the bottom" she says "Oh...ok..." So she proceeds to pull them out of the tank one at a time, open up the net and ask me if there the right ones.....I'm thinking to myself "For gosh sakes just put them in the clear container and ask me if there okay when they're IN THE WATER!" Oiy.....those poor fish.....

squirt_12
11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
and she works there????
that is kinda sad when you know didly about fish but you are working in the fish department of a store....some people are just so dumb..

congrats on the otos.
are they going in the 20g?? ( or well it is a 20g right?)

Rue
11-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I know! Sometimes it just hurts. When I got the 2 new Dojos the girl dropped one on the floor and it took a couple of tries to scope it up...thankfully it seems unhurt by that experience...

Hope your new otos do well...I just cleaned my 25g...still hanging steady at 5 otos! Yeah! But I'm feeding algae tabs daily now and I'm hoping that helps...

No sign of the new bumble catfish I put in that tank...but he could be hiding...

~Erik3.8.07~
11-11-2007, 07:37 PM
wow thats pretty sad, all she had to do was look at the picture and the name on the tab and would have known which ones were otos. Congrats on the new fish tho megan :)

markbob
11-11-2007, 11:07 PM
maybe she hangs out with the chick from the convienence store who made the comment about doritos not being junk food. Its pretty amazing how dumb some people can be. I mean really, the picture is right above the tank this is like a preschool skill of matching two things that look alike. WOW!

squirt_12
11-11-2007, 11:10 PM
after reading all of the comments it reminded me that when i was buying my 10 amano shrimp...the guy dropped every single shrimp on the floor before he got them into the container...and like 2 of them...went so fast on the ground that i had to pick them up and put them into the container.

people these days. lol.

tropfish
11-11-2007, 11:27 PM
maybe she hangs out with the chick from the convienence store who made the comment about doritos not being junk food. Its pretty amazing how dumb some people can be. I mean really, the picture is right above the tank this is like a preschool skill of matching two things that look alike. WOW!

HAHAHAHAHA, that made me crack up lol

That happened to me once i asked the lady for dwarf puffers and she looks in all the tanks and is like we dont have them, so then im looking at the fish and what do i find, the dwarf puffer tank, which was like right in front of her face!?

MeganL3985
11-12-2007, 12:40 AM
I feed the hikari sinking wafers...I dont think they're algae though. The original two oto's I had would not touch the Wardley algae wafers so I tried these hikari's that are made specifically for sucker mouth breeds and the oto's ate them up. I threw one in my tank earlier and have seen as many as 3 of the 5 on the food eating at the same time. lol Their poor little bellies are flat and not so rounded...so I hope they "pork" up with the food. They're so itty bitty.... <3 haha

Kaga's Kritters
11-12-2007, 12:43 AM
congrats on the new additions.....in a few weeks here i will be getting some ottos for my 29g.

markbob
11-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Pics? please?

SkarloeysMom
11-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Geez, that is so sad that the worker at Petsmart was so clueless. I haven't run into that here but I have run into the "who cares?" attitude. Generally the peeps at our Petsmarts at least know the difference between a guppy and an oto. Seems like when you said you wanted a "catfish" the girl would know that's a bottom feeder. I mean even I knew what a catfish was before I ever kept aquariums and it ain't no guppy!

I hope your otos make the transition and get nice and fat and happy. I'm pretty sure the Hakari wafers are algae. I'm glad their already eating. That's a good sign.

MeganL3985
11-12-2007, 01:58 AM
one has been hiding since I put him in the tank...the others are out and "running" around the tank.....I'm kinda worried since I can't find him though. I'm gonna give him over night and if I can't count all 5 then i'll do a search & rescue. lol :)